Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For Dolphin, 2.20 Ghz is quite slow although some games might be playable. The recommended cpu clock speed for Dolphin and most games is at least 2.8 Ghz - 3.0 Ghz, Twilight Princess is a cpu heavy game especially when it comes to Hyrule Field and other places such as Faron Woods.
Plus it's probably a phenom (not phenom II) or laptop cpu. Which would make it even worse.
Agreed, Phenom II would be a different story, the original Phenom architecture is closer to the slower AMD64 architecture which was beat out by the Core2Duo/Core2Quad line of processors. Phenom II is closer to the performance of the i7 Processor.
(11-04-2010, 04:33 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]For Dolphin, 2.20 Ghz is quite slow although some games might be playable. The recommended cpu clock speed for Dolphin and most games is at least 2.8 Ghz - 3.0 Ghz, Twilight Princess is a cpu heavy game especially when it comes to Hyrule Field and other places such as Faron Woods.

That's the main reason behind my preference on playing some GC games on the console plugged my old CRT TV instead of emulating it on PC. My CPU is clocked @ 2.66GHZ (stock), my motherboard is operating at its FSB limit (no possible overclocking) and I don't see me upgrading CPU + mobo in the next 2 years, at least.

Processors are very expensive in my country (mine was selling at US$ 205 in December 2009 when I bought it), so, if I can't get more than 80% speed, it's best to forget it until code is more optimized. Smile
On latest SVN I think that the fastest config is this (For me at least)
Phenom II 945 Stock, HD 4200, 2gb RAM.
(11-03-2010, 02:26 AM)DarzgL Wrote: [ -> ]It's really strange that the ZTP hack didn't improve things for you. I was getting a slowdown in the woods too, and the hack solved it.
Maybe it increased of 1 FPS, but it could be a casualty...plus, I don't have the map.
I guess I'll just wait for better perfomance, in the meantime I'll try another game. Smile
(11-04-2010, 10:19 PM)mans Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe it increased of 1 FPS, but it could be a casualty...plus, I don't have the map.
I guess I'll just wait for better perfomance, in the meantime I'll try another game. Smile

Lower your resolution to roughly 720p. Your processor isn't powerful enough to render emulated games in very high resolutions. That's essentially the drawback in running emulators.
Quote:Your processor isn't powerful enough to render emulated games in very high resolutions. That's essentially the drawback in running emulators.

Resolution does not change cpu load at all. Rasterization is handled entirely by the gpu and therefore only the gpu is important when selecting a resolution to render something at. That is not a drawback of emulation at all, in fact it's the reverse, it's a major pro for emulation. I can assure you that a 5770 (his video card) is more than powerful enough to handle 1080p so long as he stays away from high SSAA and efb scale levels. The only settings I can think of that he could change that might affect his performance in a linear way is the internal resolution and/or SSAA. Which is why I recommended that he see if setting the internal resolution to 1x makes any difference for him, however he has not responded on that yet. Faron woods is slow because of the amount of efb renders needed to properly emulate all of the framebuffer effects going on. Sometimes 9-12 efb renders are needed just to draw 1 frame. Therefore I would imagine that changing the internal resolution would improve his performance.
(11-05-2010, 01:32 PM)gaiachaos Wrote: [ -> ]Lower your resolution to roughly 720p. Your processor isn't powerful enough to render emulated games in very high resolutions. That's essentially the drawback in running emulators.
I know that my processor isn't that powerful, but I've played different games without problems. Anyway as NaturalViolence said, the resolution doesn't change anything.

(11-05-2010, 02:43 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Which is why I recommended that he see if setting the internal resolution to 1x makes any difference for him, however he has not responded on that yet.
Sorry about that, I forgot to answer. Unfortunately changing the internal resolution to fractional doesn't help, at least in Hyrule Field. I can't try it in Faron Woods because I'm at Hyrule Field (the part near Lake Hylia) and it would take too much time to go there. >_>
But I'm almost sure that I've tried it without success.
I've even tried using OpenCL hoping that my VGA would help but still nothing changed.
Quote:Sorry about that, I forgot to answer. Unfortunately changing the internal resolution to fractional doesn't help, at least in Hyrule Field. I can't try it in Faron Woods because I'm at Hyrule Field (the part near Lake Hylia) and it would take too much time to go there. >_>

Try 1x instead of fractional and try efb to texture instead of efb to ram. Also try taking off SSAA if you have it on.