Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

CookingUtensil

Pray tell which version in particular that would be that works so nicely for you? Smile

My only issue with TP right now is the bloom... it's just ghost images. If I turn on the bloom projection hack, it looks fine, but the speed goes WAYYYY down.

Gonna keep the projection hack off and deal with the onion-skinning for now but I'm interested in hearing which older version works best!

(12-30-2010, 08:04 AM)IcemanSR Wrote: [ -> ]yes i have to agree,emulator speed has changed drastically
not just this game,tested numerous games.(donkey kong country returns example)
from 80% cpu speed in places which are cpu eater it gone down to 60%

i could not believe my eyes.i triple checked all settings and yes speed of this emu is gone.

you can talk about accuracy all day long,facts are obvious,speed is gone to high heaven and i doubt it will return any time soon.

for me i don't care any more really,i have my collection of games which i play on older revision and they work nice,that's all i needed.

HiSmile

Happy new year to all, especially for the devs because of this awesome emu \Big Grin/

Last week, I started playing with Dolphin and Zelda TP, and I just run around with each new build reloading the very same save files several times a day (one save is dark foggy scene before entering Forest temple, and the other one is a sunny one right after I finished the temple). It's very strange how much difference can be between two builds in terms of performance (sometimes it's 4-5 fps). This is all very strange, since the game was running rock steady stable 30 fps about a year ago when I was playing it on Dolphin (WINXP e4500@3,33Ghz, 4GB 1066MHz DDR2, 9800GTOC-512MB@800Mhz)

I use the DX9 plugin, with the following settings:
BASIC/Aspect: auto
ENHANCEMENTS/Aniso: 4x
ENHANCEMENTS/Anti-Aliasing: 4xSSAA
ENHANCEMENTS/scaled copy: check
EFB/Scale: Integral
EFB/Enable CPU Access: check
EFB/Copy: Enable-Texture.

all other settings are off except show FPS on second page, (but tbh, except pixel-lighting and Pixel-depth, the other setting doesn't really do
any difference for me)

The first strange thing is when I start the game and load up the save file, I only get 15-20 fps: Now I just alt-tab to the Dolphin window and enter the graphics plugin option screen and touch something without changing anything, like uncheck scaled copy and recheck it, and press ok... This will give me approx +10 fps instantly, without moving the camera or even touching the gamepad. Is that something with the texture cache?

Also still doing nothing just watching link's idle animations, I get major slowdowns to 12-18 fps for a few frames, is it something has to do with my CPU only got 2MB cache?

The game was working fine once, I finished the game in Dolphin about a year ago. Please don't get me wrong, I understand it's under development, I'm not asking for a faster version or anything, I just post this since I get more and more slowdowns with each builds and I want tot share the info, perhaps it's important. Please let me know if I can do anything to help testing stuffz.

ps.: please forgive my EnglishSmile
note: I moved my thread from an other thread, sorry for posting in a wrong place:
I got some issues about running this game on the latest build. It doesn't show the game. All i get is the intro screens with Nintendo and Dolby, then it locks to a specific FPS, and stays there. The log doesnt say anything, and when I try running it in Xterm, it crashes my system.
No unusual logs or anything, just doesn't show up.
I'm using Ubuntu Maverick on amd64 with build 6722.
Can it be the build or a setting?
@Howy

I have no idea. Either ask around on the irc channel (Network: efnet Channel: #dolphin-emu) or open an issue report on the googlecode page.

Quote:The first strange thing is when I start the game and load up the save file, I only get 15-20 fps: Now I just alt-tab to the Dolphin window and enter the graphics plugin option screen and touch something without changing anything, like uncheck scaled copy and recheck it, and press ok... This will give me approx +10 fps instantly, without moving the camera or even touching the gamepad. Is that something with the texture cache?

That was a bug that has been fixed in recent revisions. Just make sure "copy efb to texture" is checked in the game properties (right click the game in the main dolphin window and click game properties).

Quote:Also still doing nothing just watching link's idle animations, I get major slowdowns to 12-18 fps for a few frames, is it something has to do with my CPU only got 2MB cache?

The fps overlay doesn't always work properly. Did it seem like the game was actually running slow when that happened?

Quote:The game was working fine once, I finished the game in Dolphin about a year ago. Please don't get me wrong, I understand it's under development, I'm not asking for a faster version or anything, I just post this since I get more and more slowdowns with each builds and I want tot share the info, perhaps it's important. Please let me know if I can do anything to help testing stuffz.

Well what build are you using?

Quote:Pray tell which version in particular that would be that works so nicely for you? Smile

I use 6535 and 5874 (patched with the ZTP speedup hack).

Quote:My only issue with TP right now is the bloom... it's just ghost images. If I turn on the bloom projection hack, it looks fine, but the speed goes WAYYYY down.

This is one issue you cannot fix no matter what you do. It's been around for thousands of revisions. Only thing you can do is wait until the developers fix it.

tigim101

Hey I'm using the latest optimized build by xtremez, (6602M SSE4.1) and I still can't get full speed in hyrule field, I thought with the ZTP hack and my specs I would get 30 fps, or am i being too optimistic?

SPecs:
E8400 OC @ 4GHz
4 gb ddr2 ram
xfx 4890 with slight oc

I have all the general stuff enabled like efb to texture, using integral resolution, dual core and all that, is there another build that should be faster?
I also noticed that the game is really cpu intensive, my cpu is at 94% load and my gpu is barely breaking a sweat, even though people recommended fairly high end cards around here.

Hyrule also seems to get slightly faster the longer im running around in it, as if it needs a couple minutes to load, dont suppose theres any way to improve that i dont know of?

Thanks
Quote:The first strange thing is when I start the game and load up the save file, I only get 15-20 fps: Now I just alt-tab to the Dolphin window and enter the graphics plugin option screen and touch something without changing anything, like uncheck scaled copy and recheck it, and press ok... This will give me approx +10 fps instantly, without moving the camera or even touching the gamepad. Is that something with the texture cache?

This is because the Scaler (or was it SSAA) wasn't applying unless you changed the SSAA mode (or was it Scaler mode), either way, previously you had to change one and then the other for the setting to actually apply.

Quote:That was a bug that has been fixed in recent revisions. Just make sure "copy efb to texture" is checked in the game properties (right click the game in the main dolphin window and click game properties).

and lose your map in the process.

Copy to Ram is required for this game.

Quote:Hyrule also seems to get slightly faster the longer im running around in it, as if it needs a couple minutes to load, dont suppose theres any way to improve that i dont know of?

Caching is occuring, maybe eventually the emulator will support some kind of precaching.

Quote:I also noticed that the game is really cpu intensive, my cpu is at 94% load and my gpu is barely breaking a sweat, even though people recommended fairly high end cards around here.

high end cards are only required where excessive graphics settings are used. especially pixel lighting which is shader intensive.
the E8400 is well past its prime though.
rev. 6505 is still the fastest build with decent compatibility/accuracy. The speed has gone downhill since the experimental FIFO changes. Newest revisions are *a lot* slower, despite the recent texture format optimizations.

For example, ZTP and DKCR run ~25% faster with r6505.
@Howy

Hey, thanks for the quick reply:)

(01-03-2011, 12:12 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]That was a bug that has been fixed in recent revisions. Just make sure "copy efb to texture" is checked in the game properties (right click the game in the main dolphin window and click game properties).
Thanks but I have, I always had iirc.

(01-03-2011, 12:12 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]The fps overlay doesn't always work properly. Did it seem like the game was actually running slow when that happened?
Yea pretty sure, 10fps is a big difference, and I just double checked this, I don't even need to change anything, just enter the option screen end return to the game.

(01-03-2011, 12:12 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Well what build are you using?
I always use the latest builds, I check for a new build in every 3-4 hours or so, if I remember right it was 6717 when I was posting, but I will check things with the current 6730 build as well.

Cheers

ps.: OK it's not happening with 6730 anymore, the game is superfast again, thank you so much \:D/

(01-03-2011, 03:03 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: [ -> ]Copy to Ram is required for this game.
Copy to Ram is slow, and ignores scaled copy for me:/ The slowdown is not worth it imho atm, and it's still visible slightly in greyscale with Copy to Texture as well. But thanks anyway:)

Quote:I thought with the ZTP hack and my specs I would get 30 fps, or am i being too optimistic?

Yes you were. However it MIGHT be possible on an older build that's optimized for newer SSE instructions. It would also have to have had the hyrule field speedup hack manually added from back when it was a patch. Few builds like this exist and most have long since been deleted from the various archives of the compilers (people who compile, not the programs). If you have vs2008 or vs2010 I would recommend you download the source of 5500 and compile an SSE4.1 optimized build with the hyrule field speedup patch.
(01-03-2011, 02:51 PM)tigim101 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey I'm using the latest optimized build by xtremez, (6602M SSE4.1) and I still can't get full speed in hyrule field, I thought with the ZTP hack and my specs I would get 30 fps, or am i being too optimistic?

SPecs:
E8400 OC @ 4GHz
4 gb ddr2 ram
xfx 4890 with slight oc

What resolution are you running at? Any Enhancements turned on? Either lower the resolution size, turn off or tone down the Enhancements option. Last but not least, try a new revision.