Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(09-09-2011, 02:58 PM)sparktenks Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2011, 02:16 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]There is no "best revision". Just use 3.0, it's the latest official version. With the exception of recent texture cache rewrite builds most builds between 5500-7500 should show little to no difference with this game.

What I mean to ask is what revision people have the most success with. And it's not 3.0 from what I've read and tested so far.

I just want others opinions and experiences it's what this thread is for. Being dismissive is jsut counter productive. Thanks for your time though.

Look at Jmar's thread "Fastest and best revisions" in Git revision discussion
Also, keep in mind your milage will vary. Everyone praises 6515 and 6505, but they run like absolute crap for me in comparison to 6054, especially for Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC) and Mario Kart Wii (Wii).

Just try a wide variety of different revisions. You could try 3.0, some of the newest GIT releases, and you can try some older SVN releases (such as the 6xxx builds). If you're on a lower end machine like myself, you're going to have more success with 6xxx builds than the newest GIT builds, 3.0, or even the 7xxx SVN builds.
(09-10-2011, 01:42 AM)Mistwaver Wrote: [ -> ]Also, keep in mind your milage will vary. Everyone praises 6515 and 6505, but they run like absolute crap for me in comparison to 6054, especially for Zelda: Twilight Princess (GC) and Mario Kart Wii (Wii).

Just try a wide variety of different revisions. You could try 3.0, some of the newest GIT releases, and you can try some older SVN releases (such as the 6xxx builds). If you're on a lower end machine like myself, you're going to have more success with 6xxx builds than the newest GIT builds, 3.0, or even the 7xxx SVN builds.

Not false 6061 works fine too
Ugh....you people really don't get it no matter how many times I attempt to explain it.

Oh and by the way 6054 doesn't have the ZTP hyrule field speedup hack, and hyrule field will run like shit without that. That hack was committed in 6075.

pantherx12

(09-08-2011, 09:51 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Thanks for the info, little disappointing though was hoping for 60fps, at-least it's good that it's not my HW : ]

TP runs at 30 fps. 60 fps would be 200% gamespeed.

That's why I'm disappointed, I know it was only designed to run on one piece of HW but well coded games don't let frame rate effect game speed.

The more FPS the better IMO ( smoother game play, things that are supposed to look fast ( such as helicopter blades) look better as there's no need for an effect to be made your eyes will give it the blurry disc type effect automatically : ]

Sure you already know but seems you misunderstood what I meant.

My games buggered up big time or something, I'm doing the lake hylia tears of light stuff and I can't re-summon the bird so i can't get the last 4 tears. Any ideas as how to work around this folks?

Quote:I know it was only designed to run on one piece of HW but well coded games don't let frame rate effect game speed.

In this case it has nothing to do with how "well coded" the game is. It's the hardware that forces the game devs to lock the framerate to 30 or 60 fps. In a PC everything is decoupled. In the GC/Wii architecture everything is very tightly coupled/synchronized which makes the hardware potentially more efficient but comes at the expense of placing restrictions on the game developers (such as the locked framerate).

MikeBromby1

I am still having trouble with hyrule field after upgrading to a new system. I upgraded because i want to start using my pc for gaming to have the benefit of higher resolutions etc but it would be nice to be able to get hyrule field running at near 100% aswell.

Using dolphin 3.0 i get between 19-21 FPS but whats strange is that when i leave the game running and click on the configure graphics settings i instantly get a FPS jump to 23-25 that lasts untill i close the game. This is all on full settings and i do notice a FPS drop of maybe 2 if i turn the anti-aliasing off from 8x.

So my question is should my system be capable of running 30 FPS in hyrule field? if so maybe ther's a problem with some settings elsewere? I have tried about 4 revsions along with R6054 but all wield simialr frame rates.

PC SPECS -

Phenom 2 x4 3.4ghz
4GB Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Asus HD 6850 1GB V2
Corsair 650w PSU

I haven't tried overclocking before but might give it a go using catalyst or something that makes it sound easy.

Any hepl would be greatly apprciated.
Hi everyone.

I have just joined this forum after years of GC console gaming and have begun to appreciate the efforts of Dolphin development.

I thought the best way to initiate myself into the scene was by beginning with emulating TP.

I have begin my preliminary tests with build 7719 and have encountered a few issues.

I have a few questions to begin with.

1. My main concern with emulating ZTP is sound. What revision is suggested so that I can enjoy the audio to the max i.e the cutscenes not being a silent melodrama with music cut out?

2. For a user with a 16:9 screen, what fullscreen resolution is suggested so that I can max out frame rates without compromising textures or graphical bounties much?

3. Considering Question 2, how does 'internal resolution' relate to this and what will be the optimal combination?

Thank you for your time. My specs are listed below when appropriating a reply.

CG
Quote:So my question is should my system be capable of running 30 FPS in hyrule field? if so maybe ther's a problem with some settings elsewere? I have tried about 4 revsions along with R6054 but all wield simialr frame rates.

No. Nothing short of a sandy bridge cpu can handle running hyrule field at fullspeed late game. It's an issue that we all need to deal with.

Quote:1. My main concern with emulating ZTP is sound. What revision is suggested so that I can enjoy the audio to the max i.e the cutscenes not being a silent melodrama with music cut out?

Right now the official 3.0 version is recommended for all games including this one. TP has been in roughly the same shape since 5500, very few things have been fixed since then and I can't think of a single audio issue that has been fixed since then. In other words almost any revision will do equally well as far as audio is concerned. Are you using LLE recompiler or HLE for the DSP emulator engine (audio settings)? LLE recompiler will be slower but will improve the accuracy of audio emulation.

Quote:2. For a user with a 16:9 screen, what fullscreen resolution is suggested so that I can max out frame rates without compromising textures or graphical bounties much?

Set the fullscreen resolution to whatever your physical display resolution is. If you're using a 1920 x 1080 monitor/HDTV then set it to 1920 x 1080. Fullscreen resolution does not impact performance unless you leave internal resolution on auto. It only sets the output resolution of dolphin. Dolphin renders the image at the internal resolution then scales it up or down to the output resolution before sending it to the display. Dolphin has very good upscaling so even if you set the internal resolution low it will still look better than a real GC/Wii so long as your output resolution is high.

Quote:3. Considering Question 2, how does 'internal resolution' relate to this and what will be the optimal combination?

As I mentioned above internal resolution is the resolution that the image is rendered at. The higher you set it the more GPU performance is needed but the sharper and more detailed everything will look. If I am not mistaken your GPU should be able to handle up to 2.5x just fine which is enough for 1080p.
Thank you for your detailed replay NaturalViolence.

Based on your recommendation and others whose replies I have read on this forum, I will download and try with V3.

Currently, My audio settings for revision 7719 include using HLE. From what I have learnt on this forum, I will go home and begin to dump the two required dsp files and then test again.

People have mentioned that a certain drop in Framerates as well as lagging occurs when using the LLE option. Is this true? Moreso, is this related to ones hardware capabilities or simply poor clueless configuration.

You mentioned how 'LLE recompiler will be slower but will improve the accuracy of audio emulation' and I hope this does not significantly affect gameplay.

This area is my testing ground (potential spoiler alert for new ZTP players):

I have a save file moments before Midnas and Wolf Link make it to the top of the tower.
Upon entering and meeting the 'Twilight Princess', the cutscene/flashback begins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2EzQaTvR...ideo_title
Music starts at 8:32 at the cutscene where Zant and co attack.

Currently My experience on 7719 and 6064 have demonstrated no music playing during the scene of the attack as it does on my GC.

I hope V3 can resolve it.

Thanks for replying about the resolutions. Though the GT540M is a decent mid/high range laptop card, it is still nowhere near a GTX 580M and so it is somewhat limited in its capabilities though very good nonetheless.

Raising the internal res up by 2.5 dropped framerates by about 15 and I am sure, coupled with LLE recompiling, I'm better off watching paint dry.

I will tinker with the audio and video configuration and post my discoveries and experiences in time.

Thanks again.

CG