Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Wii] - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(11-22-2011, 05:37 PM)mdbsup Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2011, 05:11 PM)Miyamoto4President Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2011, 03:42 PM)mdbsup Wrote: [ -> ]I hate to be someone to ask this, however:
This is going to be my first game running on Dolphin. I've downloaded the appropriate revision, adjusted my settings to the OP's recommendations and ordered my game.
My question now is, does my computer have the specs to run this?
Spoiler:
Above are my PC specs and if they ARE up to par, what would be a recommended bluetooth dongle / Wireless sensor bar combination?
And one last question: Will the special Zelda Wii Motion+ controller work with dolphin?
Thank you c:
You should be fine! I have VERY similar specs to you. My CPU, GPU, and Memory are pretty much the same (I have 16gb of DDR3 1600mhz), BUT I have not overclocked my CPU. It runs at 3.2GHZ. Although I just overclocked my CPU to 3.6GHz about an hour ago (what a coincidence!) I still haven't tested it with this game.

My circumstances were a little bit different than what you want. Within Dolphin under the "Enhancements" tab I ran the game at "2.5x native (1600 x 1320)". My monitor doesn't even go to that resolution but when flipping the options around in Dolphin that looked the best on my screen and going to a lower "internal resolution" didn't really help with FPS... it made the graphics not look as great. On the stock CPU speed (3.2GHz) the game primarily ran at 28-30FPS. It tends to slow down in a few instances. For instance at night time (within the game) it slows down a lot, as I stated above, it slows down GREATLY during the ending sequences, AND while you are playing every time you go to use your Bow or your Slingshot you will have to pause the game, open up Dolphin and Disable "Skip EFB Access from CPU" to fix the accuracy of the weapon. After you are done using either of those weapons, you then have to pause the game again and enable the "Skip EFB Access from CPU" option again. I know, its really annoying but if you play with that option disabled all the time, your FPS drops considerably at times. It is possible that your CPU running at 3.6ghz will solve most of these problems though. That is what I'm hoping too when I play the game again. Lets be honest though, our computers are pretty beastly. I can't imagine people with specs lower than ours getting respectable frames at all UNLESS a new version of Dolphin that comes out that allows this game to run perfectly (shooting with bow and slingshot) without having to constantly enable and disable the "Skip EFB Access from CPU" option while playing.

I will say this though. With the options I noted above, the game looks GORGEOUS on the PC. I also have this game on disk for the Wii (I bought the bundle, the controller looks awesome!), but I haven't played it. I do know that on the PC it looks waaaaay better than it could ever look on the Wii. Dolphin is phenomenal! The only thing the Wii has over it, is reliable frame rates. Get ready to have a LOT of batteries ready for your IR sensor. I bought a wireless one and it takes 4 AAA batteries. I would say I had to go through 12 AAA batteries to fully beat the game and the sensor bar was pretty much dead in the last hour of gameplay. I wish I had bought a wired sensor bar. I wonder if they sell USB sensor bars that plug into your PC's USB ports? I think I want to look for that now, because I hate to "waste" another 12-16 batteries. Trying to be green here. Smile

This is the sensor bar that I have: http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Sensor-Ba...432&sr=1-6
I wouldn't buy it though. I'm going to look for a cheap wired USB sensor bar now. It felt like while I was playing Skyward Sword I was constantly fighting the wireless sensor bar. The batteries hardly last a long time. You can tell when the batteries are depleted. The controls get all screwed up. I would have used about 20-24 AAA batteries but I tortured myself through the wonky controls. LOL.

Very nice c: Thank you for the detailed information. As far as the USB sensor bar goes, the only solution to this I've found is by manually attaching a USB cord to the positive (+) and negative (-) sides of the battery socket. There was also a post about one that seemed legit but it was priced at 30+ US dollars, so we'll see about that haha. I'll probably end up doing it manually.
My PC handles all next gen games at 30+ fps on max settings so I don't see this one being much of a problem. We'll see when I get my game I suppose :3.
Ya, that is way to expensive. I'm thinking maybe I should just buy 4 AAA rechargeable batteries. I have a nice battery charger that can charge 4 AAA or 4 AA batteries at a time. This would also force me to take breaks while playing too. Maybe that's the best thing for me. Smile
The game is always running at 30fps for my side :
HD6970
phenom x4 970
8gb

I have configured dolphin as said on the first page.
In game resolution: 720p

some times it falls at 28-29 fps while i'm breaking the neck of some plants.

What else ?
I had to stop playing, I just ordered new motherboard and cooler so I can OC my CPU, then I shall continue! Wink
(11-22-2011, 11:40 PM)Perunapaa Wrote: [ -> ]I had to stop playing, I just ordered new motherboard and cooler so I can OC my CPU, then I shall continue! Wink

Not that a newer motherboard and cooler are ever a problem, but a faster processor would have probably been cheaper.
Hehe, actually I bought ASRock mobo (one of those cheap, but good quality for the price). With it I can probaly unlock core from my phenom x3 720 be, with a new cooler I think I will get this around 3,4ghz.
If I must stuck with triple core, then I will get it around 3,6ghz. <- That's my quess, but it must be around there. Smile

That should be enough to run skyward sword more nicely. Smile
Anyone get any slow downs when z targeting and talking to someone? Happens to me with the OP settings. Dont know if its my pc or not.
(11-22-2011, 09:17 PM)orijin77 Wrote: [ -> ]The game is always running at 30fps for my side :
HD6970
phenom x4 970
8gb

What else ?

I have an I5 760 oc to 4GHz and I rarely cuts 27 fps like you
So it is good of the emulator
(11-23-2011, 12:17 AM)Perunapaa Wrote: [ -> ]Hehe, actually I bought ASRock mobo (one of those cheap, but good quality for the price). With it I can probaly unlock core from my phenom x3 720 be, with a new cooler I think I will get this around 3,4ghz.
If I must stuck with triple core, then I will get it around 3,6ghz. <- That's my quess, but it must be around there. Smile

You are not getting any improvement with a fourth core. You should try to increase at max your frequency with your actual cores.

In my case, with an Phenom II 550 OC'ed at 3,7 Ghz i get slowdowns, i don't expect you can play at 100% without breaking the aim.

I do not understand the difference between PAL and NTSC
If you use Pal you will run the game at max 25fps ?
If you use NTSC you will run the game at max 30fps ?

The game runs almost constantly at 30fps. Can I configure dolphin in order to obtain more than 30fps ?

config : hd6970 / phenom x4 970 / 8gb ram
(11-23-2011, 12:37 AM)panda64 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-22-2011, 09:17 PM)orijin77 Wrote: [ -> ]The game is always running at 30fps for my side :
HD6970
phenom x4 970
8gb

What else ?

I have an I5 760 oc to 4GHz and I rarely cuts 27 fps like you
So it is good of the emulator

Ok thanks for the feedback : )
(11-23-2011, 12:41 AM)tiku Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-23-2011, 12:17 AM)Perunapaa Wrote: [ -> ]Hehe, actually I bought ASRock mobo (one of those cheap, but good quality for the price). With it I can probaly unlock core from my phenom x3 720 be, with a new cooler I think I will get this around 3,4ghz.

You are not getting any improvement with a fourth core. You should try to increase at max your frequency with your actual cores.

In my case, with an Phenom II 550 OC'ed at 3,7 Ghz i get slowdowns, i don't expect you can play at 100% without breaking the aim.

Aye thanks mate, I think 720 was little better than 550 thou? Anyway, maybe I should not unlock the forth core then. And I really don't care about breaking the aim cause it's so small part of the game.

So you can run 100% with broken aim? Smile

(Right now I sometimes go down to 22fps which is already tooooo slow to be enjoyable.)