Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Wii] - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(11-15-2011, 01:20 AM)moussaillon Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone! If there's mac users around, could someone tell me how the game is running on apple computers? Does it handle 1080p? Any issue with the wiimote?

Thanks! Wink

Aye up. I've an early-2011 MBP 15" with the 6750 1GB and it runs pretty much perfectly. OS X Lion, all latest everything and only upgrades I've done are a Corsair SSD and 8GB - which wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Using R7718, the slingshot is off (as everyone says), and enabling EFB drops about 25-40% of speed but makes it more accurate, still not perfect (perhaps that's just how the game is designed though). As all recent 3.0-xxx releases crash instantly on launching a game, I guess this is the only workaround to having a working emu on Mac!

My biggest annoyance is the wiimote plus "one-to-one" movement as I don't find it very accurate. Walking tightrope is particularly bad, and slicing specifically horizontally or vertically is difficult - as is thrusting. A lot of the time Link's arm looked twisted trying to work out where the hell you're pointing it. I wonder if that's the emu code, or whether the marketing dept at Nintendo were overzealous of the motion plus' abilities.

Lastly, 2D textures for all the menus are a mess and the map is just barely readable - that's minor though.

Otherwise it appears to run perfectly well.

darksoda

i suppose someone someday maybe make it work in keyboard and mouse or not ^^
Maybe.

greyfoxhound

(11-15-2011, 08:54 AM)elfidge Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2011, 01:20 AM)moussaillon Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone! If there's mac users around, could someone tell me how the game is running on apple computers? Does it handle 1080p? Any issue with the wiimote?

Thanks! Wink

Aye up. I've an early-2011 MBP 15" with the 6750 1GB and it runs pretty much perfectly. OS X Lion, all latest everything and only upgrades I've done are a Corsair SSD and 8GB - which wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Using R7718, the slingshot is off (as everyone says), and enabling EFB drops about 25-40% of speed but makes it more accurate, still not perfect (perhaps that's just how the game is designed though). As all recent 3.0-xxx releases crash instantly on launching a game, I guess this is the only workaround to having a working emu on Mac!

My biggest annoyance is the wiimote plus "one-to-one" movement as I don't find it very accurate. Walking tightrope is particularly bad, and slicing specifically horizontally or vertically is difficult - as is thrusting. A lot of the time Link's arm looked twisted trying to work out where the hell you're pointing it. I wonder if that's the emu code, or whether the marketing dept at Nintendo were overzealous of the motion plus' abilities.

Lastly, 2D textures for all the menus are a mess and the map is just barely readable - that's minor though.

Otherwise it appears to run perfectly well.

I am curious, how did you install r7718 on your system? Also, where do you find these? While running on Lion, I have been able to get 3.0 and some slightly newer versions to work, but from what I've read r7719 is the best to use to get rid of the shading issue.

Is there a board you can direct me to that explains setting up an earlier rev on OS X? I mean, I would love any direction here, even if you just have the download link and some sole instructions. New to the Dolphin scene and all.

seddar

Game play well. No crashes so far. I'm at chapter 8:
Lanayru Mining Facility
•Navigate through the Lanayru Mining Facility to face off with the large Scorpion.
(11-15-2011, 07:23 AM)kAs1m Wrote: [ -> ]If you have some troubles with motion controls, try to move sensor bar closer to your position, cuz game always need to correct the position of remote, and this trick based on if remote is in front of sensor bar, the game autocorrect sword position, like it's in front of Link.

I've always been told the sensor bar has nothing to do with the wiimote plus controls.

And since it still works even if you turn off the sensor bar, I'm inclined to believe them.
(11-15-2011, 10:00 AM)seddar Wrote: [ -> ]Game play well. No crashes so far. I'm at chapter 8
SPOILER.

That is a FREAKING spoiler for fucks sake. Damn juniors.

Also, I'm back from my trip and I'm having the "judder"/stuttering problem that some people had here. Tried everything, different revisions (even 3.0+), refresh rates, resolutions, plugins, settings... nothing. The game is at a rock solid 30 FPS, but every now and then I can see it stuttering here and there. It looks quite distracting and kinda breaks the immersion. I'm beginning to wonder if that also happens with the real game on the Wii...
(11-15-2011, 08:28 AM)jonisign Wrote: [ -> ]That's fantastic! No slow downs?? Are you using the config in your signature? I'm running an AMD Phenom II X4 B55 @ 3.7 ghz and an AMD 6770 GPU

and I noticed some pretty serious slow downs in other games like super mario bros. wii (40% Speed and 15-20 fps), so I assumed this game would be completely unplayable.

(11-15-2011, 08:02 AM)gh0stn Wrote: [ -> ]Runs @ 100% speed (29fps) with minor hiccups every now and then. Glad it works. Wink

EDIT: Maybe 4x rez would get rid of the jaggies.

Yep, that's my current rig. It's actually pretty shocking how smooth Skyward Sword runs, was even able to turn on 4xAA w/o sacrificing fps. It's such a pretty game and deserves to be seen at it's best.
(11-15-2011, 10:03 AM)LaymanX Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2011, 07:23 AM)kAs1m Wrote: [ -> ]If you have some troubles with motion controls, try to move sensor bar closer to your position, cuz game always need to correct the position of remote, and this trick based on if remote is in front of sensor bar, the game autocorrect sword position, like it's in front of Link.

I've always been told the sensor bar has nothing to do with the wiimote plus controls.

And since it still works even if you turn off the sensor bar, I'm inclined to believe them.

Well, you're free to believe what you want, but have fun fiddling around with the wiimote without a sensor bar in this game - you won't have fun fighting. It's true that the motion+ doesn't have anything to do with the sensor bar, but that doesn't mean this game isn't using both to fine-tune the calibration.
For those who have been playing for 5hrs+ and no issues, what Wii Remote Plus (M+ built in) and Nunchuk are you using, the Nintendo one or 3rd party one? Also, would it matter if I use the Nintendo Wii Remote Plus and a 3rd party Nunchuk?