Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Wii] - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, my first time here.
So I am trying to run this game, and I am having several problems.

I have tried all the settings mentioned on this form and none seem to help my frame rate drop.

It happens often in large open areas and also any time I approach the Bazaar.
It also happens big time in skyloft at night.

Here are my specs and the settings I have found to work best.

Dolphin r7719 x64
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4670
CPU: AMD Phenom x4(quad core) black edition 3.4Ghz (overclocked to ~3.6)

Settings
Direct3D 11
Dual core enabled
Fog disabled
Internal resolution 2x
Skip alpha pass
Open MP texture decoder.
EBF copies virtual only
Ignore format changes.
no AA
4x AF

Also It seems that the game runs with no tearing and vsync off while Windows Aero is running, as aero vsyncs itself, but turning aero off and vsync on results in a MAJOR framerate dip.
Leaving all vsync off results in tearing and no framerate change from aero.
Checking 'skip EBF access from CPU' seems to fix the problem, but I can't aim anything any more.
lowering the internal resolution has very little effect.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

(11-19-2011, 02:59 PM)TyDoMaster Wrote: [ -> ]Hey all, my first time here.
So I am trying to run this game, and I am having several problems.

I have tried all the settings mentioned on this form and none seem to help my frame rate drop.

It happens often in large open areas and also any time I approach the Bazaar.
It also happens big time in skyloft at night.

Here are my specs and the settings I have found to work best.

Dolphin r7719 x64
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4670
CPU: AMD Phenom x4(quad core) black edition 3.4Ghz (overclocked to ~3.6)

Settings
Direct3D 11
Dual core enabled
Fog disabled
Internal resolution 2x
Skip alpha pass
Open MP texture decoder.
EBF copies virtual only
Ignore format changes.
no AA
4x AF

Also It seems that the game runs with no tearing and vsync off while Windows Aero is running, as aero vsyncs itself, but turning aero off and vsync on results in a MAJOR framerate dip.
Leaving all vsync off results in tearing and no framerate change from aero.
Checking 'skip EBF access from CPU' seems to fix the problem, but I can't aim anything any more.
lowering the internal resolution has very little effect.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

What is your average FPS when its stable and when it drops? I haven't noticed any sections of the game that trigger scene specific framerate drops. I'm thinking this is a problem with your settings. Also you graphics card is a little underpowered for Skyward Sword, but you shouldn't be having these spikes. I can also confirm that lowering internal resolution does not change much in the way of FPS for this game.

SoftGrape

Hi!

I got the Zelda collectors edition with the golden wiimote for mi wii, but yesterday i read in some blog that someone was playing it in 1080p thanks to Dolphin, so I tried it in my computer, and Link and the NPCs look awesome, but the houses and fences are quite jaggy.

My computer is:

SO: Win 7 64 bit
CPU: Intel I7 2600 3,4 GHZ
Graphic Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600
Dolphin: 3.0.201 dirty

I have read in the forum that there are some problems with the nvidia graphic cards...is there any configuration that solves this?

Thanks! ^^
It was mentioned to remove AA to remove/fix the graphics issue I mentioned on page 47 or so. How do I get my previously saved states to work once I've changed a graphics option? I don't want to start the game over.

Every time I've tried the load a state save after changing an option, dolphin gives me some error and crashes. Is there a way to make it work?

Thanks
Update:

For those having issues with remote, I have somewhat alleviated it by using a usb dongle as opposed to my motherboard.

Unfortunately the bluesoleil software doesn't work (error 267) but the standard windows 7 drivers do the job.

It's not perfect, still laggy but definitely playable. The only real difficult thing is doing the tight rope (can never seem to balance) otherwise it's OK. I just got into the first temple without having a fit.

Still some graphical issues (models up close look great - but in the distance there's jagged/weird textures). I don't have any AA on but i'll keep tweaking and see what can be done.

Also changed my IR sensitivity from max, to about 2. Seems to have helped??

Drainedsoul

Anyone seen this problem?

Look at the wall and floor...

Only manifests itself on environment, characters look perfect.

I've copied all the settings from the first post, using the most recent version of Dolphin, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, i7 940, Radeon 6970, 18 gigs of RAM.
(11-19-2011, 02:23 PM)Helvetica Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2011, 01:08 PM)samos101 Wrote: [ -> ]I changed my IR sensitivity to lower and it seemed to help somewhat. Grabbing a USB dongle today to see if the blue tooth is the issue. That will leave either my cheap wireless IR (which i'll wire tomorrow) or the remote itself, which i just bought off ebay.

Hmm

Test everything on an actual Wii, process of elimination. I have an OEM eBay sensor and remote from Hong Kong. Had trouble in Dolphin, thought it was the Chinese knock offs. Worked magnificently on my Wii, went back to Dolphin and changed some settings, and then bam, worked perfect.

Just make sure you test every scenario before jumping to conclusions about faulty hardware. Friendly advice based on personal mistakes in that area.

(11-19-2011, 12:57 PM)channjose Wrote: [ -> ]sorry for this question but, a 2.4ghz quad core is able to run this at decent fps? or is this really needs a heavy processor?

Unfortunately I really doubt 2.4 ghz will keep you stable at 30 FPS. 3.4 would probably perform quite well though, especially if it's a newer i5 model.

Cheers bud. TUrns out my bluetooth was pretty shoddy. it has helped somewhat, at least the cursor works now. What are yo wiimote settings in Dolphin like?
I get an error at the beginning of the game (I see the birds flying for about 1 second).

"Failed to create Rasterizer state at Src\Render.cpp 1148"

I used the recommended settings on r7719 with the PAL Version of Skyward Sword.

My specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Intel Quad Core Q9450 @ 2.66GHz overclocked to ~3.2GHz
Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB
CORSAIR CL5 Dominator Series DDR2-Ram PC2-1066 MHz 4GB

Drainedsoul

(11-19-2011, 05:11 PM)Drainedsoul Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone seen this problem?

Way more pronounced/obvious here.

The bands shift around while playing also, making everything look like it's shimmering while you're running on panning the camera.
I just want to get everyone informed about the recurring control problems people are having. After playing this on an actual Wii, and based on the reports of many people in this thread, your ability to use Wii Motion Plus correctly with this games seems to be tied to the quality of your Bluetooth device. Apparently some people can play with near-perfect Wii emulated controls, these people most likely have high quality Bluetooth devices that are getting no outside interference. For the rest of us, there are problems. Sensitivity is very low, lowering the IR sensitivity to 1 or 2 seems to be a popular method of helping alleviate some of the sluggishness. Experimenting with the position of your sensor bar also seems to help, remember the bar is key for recalibration of your hand position.

Unless you have a very high quality Bluetooth device, do not expect to have controls mimicking the responsiveness obtained on an actual Wii. It also appears that Bluetooth adapters that have worked flawlessly in the past with other games could still possibly not be up to par with what Skyward Sword is demanding in remote data flow. I know it sounds silly that only Skyward Sword would be doing this, but this game is probably the most Motion+ infused game that the Wii will ever see, so maybe adapters that have worked in the past just cant keep up with what Skyward Sword needs.

This is just a hypothesis, don't take it as fact just yet, but based on what I've gathered in the last few pages and hours of experimenting and talking to others with similar problems, I think it would be good information for everyone to consider, regardless of if it turns out to be factual or not.