Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Wii] - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(11-14-2011, 09:12 AM)Digitus Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2011, 08:21 AM)wildonrio Wrote: [ -> ]Any one else experiencing stutter in the video during panning? That's my last hurdle. If the fix is to use a different build, I don't want to keep playing too much in case my save state won't transfer.

Okay, after trying some of the settings that someone recently posted (2x res, D11, r7719, etc.), I finally figured out why the stutter happens. If you're using 7719M (assuming 7718 too) with D3D11 or OpenGL (OpenGL is faster and stabler for me; didn't test D9), the only thing you need to do is disable the External Frame Buffer and leave "Virtual" enabled under the EFB Copies option (don't disable EFB Copies).

But with this method, you can't have any anti-aliasing on whatsoever because the image either freezes or goes black until you disable AA. I find that the lack of AA with 4x Internal Resolution is more than fine in SS; AA isn't very important.

So, as long as you do the method and disable AA, you shouldn't see any more stuttering; otherwise, if you want AA and no stuttering, use any 3.0 version that will have the diagonal banding issue and missing textures of bushes, etc.

Other Options:
I find V-Sync, Per Pixel Lighting, and anisotropic filtering to have no effect, so I keep them unchecked and the AF on 1x. I like to keep Force Texture Filtering enabled as some textures look better. Cache Display Lists should be enabled if you want Link's sword to be visible. I like to disable fog; no downsides. I like to enable Skip Dest. Alpha Pass to reduce brights/whites from blowing out, but you will see an endless very slight shadow always a few feet in front of Link; however, enabling this does improve performance somewhat. I like to keep the OpenCL and OpenMP options enabled as they seem to improve speed and there aren't any downsides. Lighting shouldn't be disabled, obviously. Disable Per-Pixel Depth if you want an increase in performance, but uncheck it if you don't want to see flickering stuff in the background as the camera moves (this flickering phenomenon seems to be rare, so as a good rule of thumb, disable it).

As for Skip EFB Access from CPU, enable it if you want a huge increase in performance; I don't seem to need it as I get a small percentage above 100% after everything else, but I keep it enabled. I read about issues with the slingshot; haven't tried it yet, so if problems arise, I'll disable this option.

Finally, after all that, enable Audio Throttle or Auto FPS to cap your gamespeed to 98%-100%. Even if you already get 100% without either of these options, you'll still want to enable one of them because when you bring up a menu, map, title screen, etc., those will be much faster; so if you don't want that, enable one of the options.

Hope this helps.

A lot of the problems you're citing with certain settings I haven't had at all. For instance with those same settings Link's sword is visible and AA is usable, no black screen only DOF issues.

How are you managing 100% speed without skip EFB access with that rig? OpenGL?

EDIT: Just tried OpenGL with the settings you describe, and yeah it is fast. Crashes more often than D11 if a single setting isn't liked, and I can fullspeed without Skip EFB so the slingshot works, but the lighting doesn't look as nice and the colours seem to have gone into overdrive (saturation wise). Skip Alpha makes all of the grass glow like it's radioactive... too much.

I'm a bit torn, D11 seems to give me a far better emulation but not fast enough to have accurate aiming, and OpenGL is speedy but a bit of a glowing mess. Will fiddle to see if I can get happier OpenGL settings (I never used OpenGL before, always assumed it was a waste of time).

EDIT2: Accurate slingshot is nice, but I just can't get OpenGL to remotely compete with D11. I can still compensate for the wonky slingshot, just means you might miss one or two shots. Tongue
D11
[Image: D5EuJ.jpg]
OpenGL
[Image: bL81O.jpg]
Skipping EFB Access from CPU really does the trick performance-wise...since the slingshot isn't needed often, I'll keep it this way for now.
I can even put up res from x2 to x3 and still have fullspeed now Smile However, when I choose x4 I get what looks like the stuttering others have talked about. So try lowering your internal res.

I really like this game, which surprises me a little after I was rather disappointed by TP and didn't expect much from this Smile
(11-14-2011, 10:57 AM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]Skipping EFB Access from CPU really does the trick performance-wise...since the slingshot isn't needed often, I'll keep it this way for now.
I can even put up res from x2 to x3 and still have fullspeed now Smile However, when I choose x4 I get what looks like the stuttering others have talked about. So try lowering your internal res.

I really like this game, which surprises me a little after I was rather disappointed by TP and didn't expect much from this Smile

I imagine there's a bow in this game though? I dunno might get annoying later. I have internal res to auto multiples, I tried 4 once but was a bit slow like you said, x2 isn't quite pretty enough.

Yes agreed just got to the desert and am really enjoying it, my wrist is pretty tired though! (try explaining a sore right wrist to work colleagues tomorrow... Big Grin)

TP I never finished, the wolf stuff was irritating, the atmosphere of the twilight stuff never really appealed to me, and it felt like the game was artificially lengthened with all of this backtracking and filler gameplay. SS so far is better for being enjoyable throughout, even though I do think it still has some unnecessary slowing of gameplay (limited inventory for the first time is just a bizarre addition and I don't know why they have it) and the one-to-one sword input isn't more enjoyable, but overall it's showing a lot of promise.
(11-14-2011, 11:25 AM)RockLoi Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2011, 10:57 AM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]Skipping EFB Access from CPU really does the trick performance-wise...since the slingshot isn't needed often, I'll keep it this way for now.

I imagine there's a bow in this game though? I dunno might get annoying later. I have internal res to auto multiples, I tried 4 once but was a bit slow like you said, x2 isn't quite pretty enough.

Yes agreed just got to the desert and am really enjoying it, my wrist is pretty tired though! (try explaining a sore right wrist to work colleagues tomorrow... Big Grin)

TP I never finished, the wolf stuff was irritating, the atmosphere of the twilight stuff never really appealed to me, and it felt like the game was artificially lengthened with all of this backtracking and filler gameplay. SS so far is better for being enjoyable throughout, even though I do think it still has some unnecessary slowing of gameplay (limited inventory for the first time is just a bizarre addition and I don't know why they have it) and the one-to-one sword input isn't more enjoyable, but overall it's showing a lot of promise.

I also never finished TP. I got like 5 hours into it twice, once on GC and another time on Dolphin, but like you said, I kept waiting for it to pick up and it never did. SS has been fun the whole time. Much better!
So I'm using dx9 windows 7.
4x size with widescreen hack.
Max AA and AF.

Everything else unchanged.

30FPS all day everyday.

Specs:
Phenom X4 955 @ 4.025GHZ - water cooled
AMD 6970 overclocked to 1GHZ - watercooled
typical other stuff.

Man I love this game.
Lol, you guys never finished TP either? Me, I stopped at the next to last dungeon and I was already bored with it halfway through.

Anyway...

Here are screenshots of my settings I mentioned earlier; the first is skipping the alpha dest. pass and the second is not skipping:

Both are OpenGL, btw.
[Image: dolphin2011111321030765.png]
[Image: dolphin2011111321031776.png]
i want to play this game so badly, unfortunately i don't have a wiimote

wish i could just play it with my xbox pad like i do GC games xD
(11-14-2011, 12:39 PM)celtslol Wrote: [ -> ]i want to play this game so badly, unfortunately i don't have a wiimote

Haha, no wiimote? For someone who wants to play it so badly, there might be way to adopt a wiimote into your life.
(11-14-2011, 12:44 PM)wildonrio Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-14-2011, 12:39 PM)celtslol Wrote: [ -> ]i want to play this game so badly, unfortunately i don't have a wiimote

Haha, no wiimote? For someone who wants to play it so badly, there might be way to adopt a wiimote into your life.

haha, indeedBig Grin
Anyone else having a problem "rolling"? I'm at the part where the kid wants me to roll into the tree, and no matter how hard I flick the wiimote while dashing, Link won't roll!