Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Wii] - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(12-04-2011, 03:50 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]It seems to get slower the longer I play and eventually just starts stuttering all over the place and the input becomes laggy. Seems to be a leak or maybe an issue with the DX11 backend. But the game does become slower with LLE when going into the shop on Skyloft and other areas in the game. I've been using the Texcache Rewrite Motion+ builds because those have produced the best results with DX11 and Virtual (texture) EFB.

THIS. I get this while using DX9 too. So it might be a leak. When I start playing everything's fullspeed, then it gets slower and slower. I thought my PC was overheating or something, but I checked and it isn't the case; besides, I just save a state, close the emulator, open it again quickly and load, and it's fullspeed again until 20 minutes or so. So it obviously isn't overheating. I closed every single process that was useless to the system and Dolphin, but it continues. It's the same on DX11 just as you said. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
(12-03-2011, 04:30 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Bugs with old builds are meaningless and unsupported. Use the latest build. If you insist on using unsupported old builds, any issues you have with them are your own problem. That's why the texcache was removed, because it has bugs.

Okay then, Version 3.0-208 has the following glitches:

On DX11:
  • Choice between severe terrain banding or severe slowdowns
  • Moving "time fields" cause models to be rendered in different order, resulting in the player and other models being partially rendered behind the terrain

On DX9:
  • A strange filter covers the screen when using EFB to RAM, slightly askew so strange bleeding artifacts appear on the edges of the screen
  • Jumping shadows

On OpenGL:
  • Dynamic meshes (as in piles of sand and sand floors) don't render
  • Certain sprites (mostly big ones on the terrain) don't render at all

Should I find more?
Quote:It seems to get slower the longer I play and eventually just starts stuttering all over the place and the input becomes laggy. Seems to be a leak or maybe an issue with the DX11 backend. But the game does become slower with LLE when going into the shop on Skyloft and other areas in the game. I've been using the Texcache Rewrite Motion+ builds because those have produced the best results with DX11 and Virtual (texture) EFB.

Yeah, after some time it gets slower and slower. I also noticed that when I start dolphin, the game starts sometimes at around only 25 fps instead at fullspeed 30 fps. So I have to restart several times untill fullspeed. I can imagine that it has something to do with the text-cache version...(I'm using it too)?
(12-04-2011, 04:27 AM)LimEJET Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2011, 04:30 PM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Bugs with old builds are meaningless and unsupported. Use the latest build. If you insist on using unsupported old builds, any issues you have with them are your own problem. That's why the texcache was removed, because it has bugs.

Okay then, Version 3.0-208 has the following glitches:

On DX11:
  • Choice between severe terrain banding or severe slowdowns
  • Moving "time fields" cause models to be rendered in different order, resulting in the player and other models being partially rendered behind the terrain

On DX9:
  • A strange filter covers the screen when using EFB to RAM, slightly askew so strange bleeding artifacts appear on the edges of the screen
  • Jumping shadows

On OpenGL:
  • Dynamic meshes (as in piles of sand and sand floors) don't render
  • Certain sprites (mostly big ones on the terrain) don't render at all

Should I find more?

Dolphin is more than one game.

So what do you propose, not using Dolphin at all since there are bugs with many other aspects? Dolphin is not perfect and you are not required to use it. The texcache is the known cause of many bugs in many games and so it was removed. If you want to help, find out the reason for some of the issues you mentioned. I'm sure though that you won't and can't and you'd rather just talk about things you don't understand.

(12-04-2011, 04:22 AM)Silentsurvivor Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2011, 03:50 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]It seems to get slower the longer I play and eventually just starts stuttering all over the place and the input becomes laggy. Seems to be a leak or maybe an issue with the DX11 backend. But the game does become slower with LLE when going into the shop on Skyloft and other areas in the game. I've been using the Texcache Rewrite Motion+ builds because those have produced the best results with DX11 and Virtual (texture) EFB.

THIS. I get this while using DX9 too. So it might be a leak. When I start playing everything's fullspeed, then it gets slower and slower. I thought my PC was overheating or something, but I checked and it isn't the case; besides, I just save a state, close the emulator, open it again quickly and load, and it's fullspeed again until 20 minutes or so. So it obviously isn't overheating. I closed every single process that was useless to the system and Dolphin, but it continues. It's the same on DX11 just as you said. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

I haven't noticed this at all with this game and I'm only using r7719M for it with Direct3D11 and DSP LLE.
The game was a rather pleasant experience with this version with only a few single occasional frame drops really.

The slower and slower thing sounds more familiar with Twilight Princess and Hyrule Field.

Sheytan

(12-03-2011, 11:08 PM)Gabriel Belmont Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2011, 10:57 PM)Sheytan Wrote: [ -> ]I have real wii remote with built in motion plus with a nunchuck connected but i'm still stuck in the screen that says plug in the controller in skyward sword

Which version of Dolphin are you using?

You could just try to start and restart Dolphin until the calibration screen comes up.

Ah thx i restarted dolphin and now it works Smile

But i get the same problem again with when i load a save state but i can live without that
Im running dolphin on AMD phenom x4 3.3ghz
4gb
ati 5670

the lower i set the resolution the slower the game gets, i can currently run it on 1920x1080p with AA enabled + EFB at around 25 - 30fps.
Im using emulated motion plus so its a bit difficult to play parts of the game. Anybody figure out why the slingshot gets all funny when using EFB?

(12-04-2011, 03:50 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2011, 03:25 AM)Gabriel Belmont Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-01-2011, 02:49 AM)Xtreme2damax Wrote: [ -> ]This game seems quite a bit slower than Twilight Princess and Windwaker when using LLE audio. Even in Hyrule Field in ZTP I was able to get 23 FPS - 25 FPS with LLE audio without the speedhack but with this game I get drops as low as 15 FPS - 19 FPS with LLE audio in some places.

How strange, for me Twilight Princess is the slowest of the three.
Hyrule field is quite a big portion of the game and speed varies between 81-83% with LLE.

Wind Waker is the fastest one, Skyward Sword after and Twilight Princess last.

It seems to get slower the longer I play and eventually just starts stuttering all over the place and the input becomes laggy. Seems to be a leak or maybe an issue with the DX11 backend. But the game does become slower with LLE when going into the shop on Skyloft and other areas in the game. I've been using the Texcache Rewrite Motion+ builds because those have produced the best results with DX11 and Virtual (texture) EFB.
yea i also noticed that the m,ore time i play it starts to stuttering i though something was wrong with my vid or cpu Tongue glad to hear im not the only one

Kelvin.610

I've not used dolphin but would a i3 2100 and gtx 550 ti run it ok at 1080?
(12-04-2011, 04:33 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin is more than one game.

So what do you propose, not using Dolphin at all since there are bugs with many other aspects? Dolphin is not perfect and you are not required to use it. The texcache is the known cause of many bugs in many games and so it was removed. If you want to help, find out the reason for some of the issues you mentioned. I'm sure though that you won't and can't and you'd rather just talk about things you don't understand.

Easy now.
I'm not proposing anything, I'm simply stating that there are glitches with this game in Dolphin. I do not, as you rightly state (at least that's what I think you meant) have enough knowledge about the emulator's inner workings to be able to figure out the roots of these problems, but I still want to be helpful, so I post what I can and explain my reasoning behind why I think it happens. If it's not helpful, explain why not, instead of resorting to ad hominem. That way I can help out more in the future.

Anyway, back on topic. Buggy as it may have been, the texcache obviously did something right. Are there plans for some kind of clean rewrite or a substitute?