Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Wii] - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

terraphantm

I was playing around with this game in Dolphin, and while the game looks beautiful, the banding issues were bugging me. So I tried setting EFB copies to "RAM" and the background effect was near perfect (added some jaggies, but still looked better overall). Obviously there was a significant performance drop though.

So I went and enabled every performance option I could see, and oveclocked my GPU a little. I found setting OpenCL to enabled dramatically improved my framerate (near full speed in the forest setting). However, updating to the latest radeon drivers seemed to have caused my framerate to drop back down to pre openCL levels. And now disabling it seems to have no effect. At first I thought maybe it was the particular environment, but I went back to the same place where I noted the near 100% framerate, and it was still reduced (about 65%)

System:
Windows 7 Enterprise x64 (it's not pirated, I've got a legit VLK)
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0GHz - HT Enabled (obviously overclocked, but it's prime stable)
6GB DDR3 RAM
ATi Radeon 5870 1GB at 950/1250
Catalyst 11.11 drivers (I think the old drivers were 11.9)
AMD APP SDK 2.5

Graphics Settings:
Direct3D 11
3x Native Resolution
Scaled EFB Access from CPU
EFB Copies - RAM (Cache Enabled)
Texture Cache Accuracy Fastest
External Frame Buffer disabled
Fast Mipmaps
Disable Per-pixel Depth
OpenCL Texture Decoder
AA/AF are disabled

I guess I'll try installing an older version of the OpenCL stuff to see if that brings my speed back. If anyone has other suggestions, my ears are open.

Also what's more of a bottleneck, my GPU or CPU? I've been meaning to treat myself to an i7 980 (6 core), but if a GPU upgrade would give be a better performance boost, I'll go for that instead

thatchbro

Hi guys I I really need help. I bought a Wii Remote Plus + nchuk but I cant get past "connect nuchuk and wait a few moments etc" dolphin doesnt respond to that I have motion plus. what can I do??
(11-20-2011, 03:45 AM)terraphantm Wrote: [ -> ]I was playing around with this game in Dolphin, and while the game looks beautiful, the banding issues were bugging me. So I tried setting EFB copies to "RAM" and the background effect was near perfect (added some jaggies, but still looked better overall). Obviously there was a significant performance drop though.

So I went and enabled every performance option I could see, and oveclocked my GPU a little. I found setting OpenCL to enabled dramatically improved my framerate (near full speed in the forest setting). However, updating to the latest radeon drivers seemed to have caused my framerate to drop back down to pre openCL levels. And now disabling it seems to have no effect. At first I thought maybe it was the particular environment, but I went back to the same place where I noted the near 100% framerate, and it was still reduced (about 65%)

System:
Windows 7 Enterprise x64 (it's not pirated, I've got a legit VLK)
Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.0GHz - HT Enabled (obviously overclocked, but it's prime stable)
6GB DDR3 RAM
ATi Radeon 5870 1GB at 950/1250
Catalyst 11.11 drivers (I think the old drivers were 11.9)
AMD APP SDK 2.5

Graphics Settings:
Direct3D 11
3x Native Resolution
Scaled EFB Access from CPU
EFB Copies - RAM (Cache Enabled)
Texture Cache Accuracy Fastest
External Frame Buffer disabled
Fast Mipmaps
Disable Per-pixel Depth
OpenCL Texture Decoder
AA/AF are disabled

I guess I'll try installing an older version of the OpenCL stuff to see if that brings my speed back. If anyone has other suggestions, my ears are open.

Also what's more of a bottleneck, my GPU or CPU? I've been meaning to treat myself to an i7 980 (6 core), but if a GPU upgrade would give be a better performance boost, I'll go for that instead

Your GPU would be more of a bottleneck.
But your system should be more than powerful enough to run this game.
I just ran into another bug. For some reason the audio during the cutscene with Fi and Link playing the harp in Skyloft was really messed up. The song was completely out of sync lol. Also, the music that plays when you open a blue chest is completely off. Then there's also the rare occasions where the bgm will loop at weird times until i go to a different area. Has anyone else noticed weird audio glitches? I've been using HLE with DSound backend at 48000Hz if that makes a difference.
How do I get state-saves to load without crashing Dolphin after making graphics options changes? Using r7719. I want to try some things but I'm about 2 hours into the game and previously whenever I've made graphics settings changes in Dolphin, my states will not load. They crash Dolphin when I try to load them. Really don't want to start over.

Thanks,

Kaysen

(11-19-2011, 09:41 PM)SnakeSnoke Wrote: [ -> ]These are my final settings after reading this thread and testing the configuration myself:
http://imageshack.us/f/193/dolphinu.png/

Fast and beautiful. In fact, I've set everything to max. Anti-Aliasing ist disabled because the game has glitches here and there when enabled; and for me it's looks better\sharper when disabled. Not sure why it's enabled in the first post. I'll upload some screenshots later.

Might be helpful for some people.

[color=#696969]System:
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.40GHz (standard)
8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 TI 1GB GDDR5[/color]

hey all Smile im using those settings and in fact it runs perfect. the only problem for me is that when im targeting an enemy its laggin for the hole fight. when im not using the targeting function it runs quite smooth. those laggs dont appear in every fight but most of the time. im using:

Windows 7 Ultimate win32
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.30GHz
8GB Ram (i know i need win64 ;(...)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 TI-HAWK 1GB

Thanks for the help Smile

Zephyricalus

(11-20-2011, 04:14 AM)Gambit61 Wrote: [ -> ]I just ran into another bug. For some reason the audio during the cutscene with Fi and Link playing the harp in Skyloft was really messed up. The song was completely out of sync lol. Also, the music that plays when you open a blue chest is completely off. Then there's also the rare occasions where the bgm will loop at weird times until i go to a different area. Has anyone else noticed weird audio glitches? I've been using HLE with DSound backend at 48000Hz if that makes a difference.

I had the last issue. Sometimes in dungeons with layering audio for different rooms, multiple tracks would play on top of each other on HLE. I changed the backend to XAudio and turned off Audio Throttle. I don't know if that was the issue but the problem has never cropped up again since and it's been a while (Lanayru Mining Facility -> Completing the Sand Ship dungeon).
(11-20-2011, 04:35 AM)Kaysen Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2011, 09:41 PM)SnakeSnoke Wrote: [ -> ]These are my final settings after reading this thread and testing the configuration myself:
http://imageshack.us/f/193/dolphinu.png/

Fast and beautiful. In fact, I've set everything to max. Anti-Aliasing ist disabled because the game has glitches here and there when enabled; and for me it's looks better\sharper when disabled. Not sure why it's enabled in the first post. I'll upload some screenshots later.

Might be helpful for some people.

[color=#696969]System:
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Core i7 2600k @ 3.40GHz (standard)
8GB DDR3-1600 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 TI 1GB GDDR5[/color]

hey all Smile im using those settings and in fact it runs perfect. the only problem for me is that when im targeting an enemy its laggin for the hole fight. when im not using the targeting function it runs quite smooth. those laggs dont appear in every fight but most of the time. im using:

Windows 7 Ultimate win32
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.30GHz
8GB Ram (i know i need win64 ;(...)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 TI-HAWK 1GB

Thanks for the help Smile
This is the only issue I have with the game Sad.

x3sphere

I've tried disabling AA in Skyward Sword since some said it lessens the DoF effect, however, with AA off I sometimes get black flickering on textures. Never happens with AA on.

Anyone else experience this? Running 4x internal res.

Shatzazhu

@felipaopl
Though I've posted my best settings here and they seem almost identical to yours now, I wonder how you can have such a great color vibrance and contrast in your screenshots.

[Image: soue0128.png]

[Image: soue019.png]