Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thaaaat's complicated.

Aaaanyway, having things pixel match a display isn't as important these days, and will be less and less important going forward. Back in the old days, running 480p content on a 720p display was super blurry! 720p content on a 1080p display as well. But 1080p to a 1440p display or a 4K display is much harder to notice. By the time we reach 8k or so, you'll be able to run *any* resolution and it will seem pixel matched to the display, simply because the pixels are just that small and dense!

In Dolphin's case specifically, a modern gaming GPU with hybrid ubershaders can handle a LOT. My 1080 can handle 8x native like it's nothing! I usually play on 4x native (to match my display) with 4xSSAA, and that doesn't stress my 1080 at all. SSAA smooths over any rounding issues and give a sharp, clear picture no matter what.
(09-03-2017, 04:03 AM)LPFaint99 Wrote: [ -> ]DOLPHINSLOTA / DOLPHINSLOTB are the Flash ids that I chose for dolphin to use when creating GC memory cards

Okay, I see. I thought it was some debugging thing Nintendo put there. I guess the GBP tries to make a memory card but it fails or hangs or something, since it never actually writes anything through Dolphin.
We got a lot of information on the Zapper issue. It's a Coretiming issue unfortunately. The sram issue is a red herring.
Thanks for the progress report, I really enjoy reading these!

I thought the Wii Startup Disc was was completely lost. Does the Dolphin team know of someone who actually has a copy? Never mind, I saw the correction.

Also, is there a reason we can't make Dolphin's NAND have a larger capacity than the one used on real Wiis?
(09-05-2017, 09:51 AM)wowfunhappy Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the Wii Startup Disc was was completely lost. Does the Dolphin team know of someone who actually has a copy?

Just to be clear, we absolutely do not support downloading NAND dumps. That stuff is against the Forum Rules, and generally not legal. So officially, we're warning people not to download the NAND dump linked on that wiki. The page does have some good information, and for what it's worth it is the 1st search result for "Wii startup disc". Rather than delete the link, I'm just going to reiterate than downloading copyrighted material like that will result in a ban, as we don't support that type of behavior at all.

I'm not directing this at you, wowfunhappy, but at any user reading this. If you visit the wiki, it had better be to read more info about the disc rather than downloading anything.

Anyway, the Wii Startup Disc is rare and mythical. It used to be one of Nintendo's greatest secrets, right along with the official Zelda timeline (before Hyrule Historia). Some say only Iwata and Miyamoto know of it's current location, and one sadly has taken that secret to his grave. Not even the Illuminati can find it.
Kind of late on this....

Question - maybe I'm dumb, but is there a reason Dolphin doesn't support custom texture in TGA format? I ask because lossless TGA is totally a thing and it was my impression that the format has been natively supported on GPU hardware for well over a decade now.

(09-02-2017, 09:29 PM)seoulgamer Wrote: [ -> ]No iGPU without eDRAM can handle full 1080P, not for the next few years at least.

Luckily for us, there's this little thing call "Raven Ridge" launching in laptops later this year (and sometime next year on desktop, possibly in the first half) that should very much prove your above statement wrong. Even if the single-threaded CPU performance ends up being less-than ideal, it still has a 2nd-gen successor launching in the 2018/2019 time-frame which should take care of a good amount of the low-hanging fruit that was present in Raven Ridge's 1st-gen CPU architecture.

But if we only consider the iGPU and not the CPU, then 1080p performance shouldn't be an issue at all on Raven Ridge - especially with the likes of the Vulkan backend.

(09-03-2017, 08:54 AM)LinAGKar Wrote: [ -> ]Except that would make the vertical resolution higher than the screen's, so you'd have to scale it down.

Rendering at a higher resolution and then downscaling will actually increase the visual quality as this is exactly what "super sample anti-aliasing" is. Even with sprite-based games like Nintendo Puzzle Collection, you will get better quality results by upscaling at integer ratios like 3x and then downscaling to 2.5x versus directly upscaling to 2.5x.
I'm pretty sure you can't use TGA files in the same way as DDS ones (i.e. upload them to the GPU as-is, and have it magically know what to do with them). When applications use TGA textures, they just get decompressed like any other bitmap format, and then the decompressed version is the one that ends up on the GPU.
(09-06-2017, 05:43 PM)Nintendo Maniac 64 Wrote: [ -> ]Rendering at a higher resolution and then downscaling will actually increase the visual quality as this is exactly what "super sample anti-aliasing" is.  Even with sprite-based games like Nintendo Puzzle Collection, you will get better quality results by upscaling at integer ratios like 3x and then downscaling to 2.5x versus directly upscaling to 2.5x.
I believe downscaling just 1 dimension will result in obvious artifacting/graphical offsetting issues from rounding errors/precision loss. Downscaling both dimensions by the same amount will result in both dimensions suffering the same problems which can mask the visual oddities.
Great article.
By the way. You don't have to go to the women in the red dress in Red Steel.
If you cannot hear music in the menu. Then you already now it is not working.
If you can achieve to playback the music in the menu, you most likely have solved the women issue too

sicfast

Just came to say, you guys are doing an impeccable job. My modest little laptop runs everything great. I'm starting to prefer dolphin over my GC/Wii. I might even build a basic tower just to run the emulator stuff. The nerd never really grew out of me. Now I can have guests over and keep the kids entertained!