Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
XP hasn't been supported at all for many revisions now. It did work for some revisions after the removal of D3D9 via OGL, but then compatibility ended shortly before the removal of x86. Now that Dolphin is x64 only, you definitely can't use it with XP, unless you're one of the few people with XP x64. Even then, it probably won't run. You would need to use Tino's unofficial builds to get a semi-recent Dolphin running on XP.
(09-01-2014, 10:45 AM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]XP hasn't been supported at all for many revisions now. It did work for some revisions after the removal of D3D9 via OGL, but then compatibility ended shortly before the removal of x86. Now that Dolphin is x64 only, you definitely can't use it with XP, unless you're one of the few people with XP x64. Even then, it probably won't run. You would need to use Tino's unofficial builds to get a semi-recent Dolphin running on XP.

God point, that slipped my mind for some reason.
Windows XP x64 hasn't been supported for years. It is essentially really crappy and required some hacks to support, but no one wanted the hacks and no one even used the OS so, it was gone looooong ago. At least that's my memory of it, I'm sure a dev that was around back then would know better.
(09-01-2014, 06:04 AM)Fiora Wrote: [ -> ]JIT princess.
Where do I get in line to become a servant?
There ya go.
inc [minions]
jmp world_domination
Actually I was relying on the fact that the save states locked up the game for a while to know they had worked, since I haven't gotten the OSD working in VR yet (on account of there not really being a screen any more). :-P
Seriously though, awesome work.
(09-01-2014, 07:17 PM)CarlKenner Wrote: [ -> ]Actually I was relying on the fact that the save states locked up the game for a while to know they had worked, since I haven't gotten the OSD working in VR yet (on account of there not really being a screen any more). :-P
Seriously though, awesome work.

https://xkcd.com/1172/
August Progress Report:

"POVRay, the homebrew commonly used for benchmarking Dolphin, is almost entirely entirely floating point operations, so it shows the benefits very clearly. "

'entirely' was repeated.

RapturousPizza

Just registered and this is my first post!

All the progress in the last year has been incredible to watch and experience firsthand! I really appreciate these monthly updates, they're such a great idea. They let average people know what's going on in plain English and, maybe more importantly (IMHO), give developers a chance to get their name out there so they can feel properly credited in the world outside bug trackers and forums. Again, much appreciated and I can't stress enough how much I'm enjoying these very interesting monthly updates.

With all the improvements you've made lately, it's kind of a shame to think that you're still recommending "clunky old 4.0.2" as the best version for new users. On the other hand, if you keep up this pace of development I can see why you might never feel satisfied enough to call any single version "ready". Have there been date/feature/compatibility goalposts set for what the next major stable release will include or will you guys just decide to call it a new stable version the next time the team feels generally satisfied with the state of things? In any case, I hope there will be a new official "stable" version sometime soon because I often see Dolphin discussed and rarely do I see anyone using anything but "stable" releases. 4.0.2's got to be, what, consistently at least 25-50% slower by this point...?

After reading your review I've decided to order one of those Mayflash sensor bars, a GC adapter, and that "verified" ISO ripper next week when I get paid... hopefully they either ship to Canada or are available on Amazon's Canadian site.

If you haven't already, can you guys set up an Amazon referral link/code thing? It'll let you get kickbacks whenever people order items from Amazon using it. As long as you clearly tell people it's there (for the paranoid) I don't think anyone would mind anonymously "donating" a few cents from their order for the sake of giving you some beer money.

IMHO emulators are among the most important pieces of software that will ever exist. These games will disappear one day without dedicated people like you keeping them alive on modern hardware, so thanks for all your hard work.