Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10-02-2015, 07:04 AM)xystus Wrote: [ -> ]Wait.. so.. how many of the people on Team Dolphin are from Holland?

Dolphin een NL product?? Dat maakt alles nog gaver dan het al was! Big Grin

Just me, they've made it a lot more convenient to found such a thing in the Netherlands.

Met zoveel verschillende nationaliteiten is het gewoon een wereldproduct! Wink
This little regression is still sticking around after the EFB to texture changes.......
https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3030

Honki Tonk

The progress report says that Vista is no longer supported, but this is incorrect. According to the system requirements on the download page of Visual Studio 2015 Vista SP2 is supported. And both Visual Studio 2015 and the latest Dolphin development build running correctly under Vista SP2. And sorry for my bad english.
Well I was going to show how you were wrong, but huh... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...x?id=48145

I don't remember it being listed in the system requirements! We really need to find someone with Vista to test it and see.
Regarding SSAA, what Exactly are you doing with 8xSSAA?

4x2? 2x4? 8x1?
Some insane multi place decimal with rounding?

Like Nvidia does with DSR for anything that isn't a whole number or a clean single digit decimal. ; 1.5x1.5=2.25, 2x2=4. Everything else is crazy rounded multi decimals. EG; The Correct non-stupid way of doing 2xSSAA would be 1x2 or 2x1. Instead Nvidia does 1.4143484626647144948755490483163 X 1.4140625 = 1.9999771229868228404099560761348

Or are you simply doing the selected MSAA level + 4xSSAA?

Also, is it a standard Ordered Grid sub-sampled Grid? Any chance of offering a selectable Sub-sampled Grid Type? (Eg: Rotated,Sparse)
Or is that limited by what the GPU drivers expose?
Question about the now missing AA quality options: What equivalent did y'all choose for each option in the new AA UI?
BONKERS Wrote:Regarding SSAA, what Exactly are you doing with 8xSSAA?

4x2? 2x4? 8x1?

The settings are locked together in the new system. Set it to 4xMSAA and turn on SSAA, and it becomes 4xMSAA and 4xSSAA. That's why it was originally presented as 4xMSAA+SSAA in the GUI, but no one was able to figure that out so it needed to be changed.

This is just how OGL4 and D3D11 do antialiasing. OGL3 allowed mixing and matching, but that isn't possible now. Sonicadvance1 explained to me that by doing this it allows the driver to dynamically switch between MSAA and SSAA on a per item basis, so PC game developers can exclude certain effects for improved performance. And that no one actually takes advantage of this. Tongue Dolphin couldn't use it of course, but by moving to the OGL4 system, D3D11 SSAA became doable.

But it also means there is no more of the "what does it mean" that always happened before. For example, 9xSSAA in D3D9 wasn't 9xSSAA at all, but a combination of weird MSAA, SSAA, and internal resolution increases. YUCK! Just so we are clear, the SSAA system has not messed with internal resolution since D3D9 was dropped. They are completely independent, as they should be!

I.S.T Wrote:Question about the now missing AA quality options: What equivalent did y'all choose for each option in the new AA UI?

All of the sample options for D3D were simply removed. Those values were the CSAA samples, which kind of improved quality but it was impossible to measure, and no one knew what they meant. Ans since they were just what the driver presented, it was impossible for us to clarify that.
It's worth noting CSAA has been ripped out of maxwell GPUs as well. Any attempt to use it would crash the program on a NV 9xx GPU.

As for the samples needing to match. That sounds interesting to me, VERY similar to FSSGSSAA, the only other method of SSAA that I am aware of that needs MSAA to function and relies on aligning the sub samples. Though iirc some old FSAA implementations in older games did some similar stuff.

Since you guys are just putting in what the API/drivers have, I don't suppose you'd be able to actually tell what it's doing. (IE: Replaying the shading by X # of samples like SGSSAA does. Or Oversampling by simply rendering in a higher resolution before downsampling it back and resolving with a linear or box function)
Resident Evil 2, 3, and Code Veronica are running in 5:4. Does anyone remember if this is the original behavior?
(10-02-2015, 10:16 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]The settings are locked together in the new system. Set it to 4xMSAA and turn on SSAA, and it becomes 4xMSAA and 4xSSAA.
Hmm... so Dolphin now supports only hybrid sampling (what nVidia would call HSAA) when it comes to SSAA? That's odd, but I guess there's nothing to be done if OGL4 won't let you enable SSAA without also using MSAA at the same time.

@ SLAYER

You're probably being affected by the aspect ratio fixes that got merged a while back. Either select "stretch to window" to restore the old distorted AR of previous Dolphin versions or enable cropping to crop the image from 5:4 to 4:3 while maintaining the correct AR.