Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pretty sure cycling is the only mode which needs barrier so I guess it's cycling.
Aww, that guessed quickly. Yep, it is Wii Sports Cycling.
[Image: progressreportheader-April2020mini.jpg]

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2020/05/05/...pril-2020/

The April Dolphin Progress Report is live! Feel free to discuss this month's update below.

Spoiler:
Hurray for 5.0-11744!

Long live naming texture pack folders custom to support for multiple GameID's rather than by GameID (and just a single GameID)! Now I can finally unleash my full power on those Zelda 64 titles.

Increased RAM support looks nice as well. I wonder what we can use it for... By the way, Super Mario 64 (VC) fails to boot as well with an increased MEM1, aka infinite black screen.
Can't wait for the next progress report. You know, because of that thing, that happened a couple days ago Rolleyes
I say this often, so it likely comes off as insincere but I wanted to say thank you to everyone involved for another great month.

The amount of time and energy that goes into these blog posts is phenomenal.

And that same layer of polish can be seen in the software itself too!

I too am interested in seeing what the increased RAM support will mean for the community. Anyone have any particular mods they like for Mario Kart Wii (can we talk about that here?)
(05-06-2020, 02:21 AM)Shadorino Wrote: [ -> ]Can't wait for the next progress report. You know, because of that thing, that happened a couple days ago Rolleyes

*sigh*

No we're not using anything from the leaks. Dolphin is only legal because we are clean room reverse engineering the GameCube and Wii, if we use anything from a leak (this one or prior ones) that is very illegal and Nintendo will sue us out of existence. And no, there is no "wink wink" here, this is serious. If we even so much as *look* at the leaks, the existence of the leak combined with any similarities in our code to the leaked code is enough for Nintendo to proclaim we used the leaks and sue us. Even if we were to defeat it, it could still destroy us from the costs alone. So it is much too risky to even consider a peek at the leaks, and we must block any and all influence from the leak. As such, anyone who looks at the leak and we're made aware of it? We will be permanently banning them IMMEDIATELY. The only way this leak really affect us is that we need to double our vigilance of new committers in case someone tries to "help" by bringing in the new leaked code.

And we're not going to be doing anything sneaky either. We're an open source project, there's no place for us to hide. Our dev conversations are open (in fact I would be surprised if Nintendo didn't have bots permanently lurking our IRC) and so is our code and forums. Any attempt to be sneaky would be immediately suspicious because it would have to take place outside our standard open channels.

If you haven't guessed, on social media we've been flooded with people who keep ignoring us when we say we won't use it going "but wink wink" and just, no, stop it. Listen to us ya brats! /rant
Well that's… a fire well put out…

I knew that mentioning anything illegal on the forum was prohibited, for obvious reasons, but I thought the devs could get inspired by the leaks, get ideas to then reverse engineer afterwards.
As fascinated as I am about coding, I still don’t understand any of it, and never tried to learn. I didn't think it could be that easy to see an inspiration from the source code in Dolphin's. That's too bad ☹

I'm a bit curious: how do you determine that code from a PR isn't copyrighted before merging it? Is it obvious by looking at it, even if you've never seen it?

(05-06-2020, 07:38 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]If you haven't guessed, on social media we've been flooded with people who keep ignoring us when we say we won't use it going "but wink wink" and just, no, stop it. Listen to us ya brats! /rant

Big Grin
I'm not a Dolphin developer, so this is more general, but there are going to be hints. If the cause of a bug has been known for a long time, for example, there'd be no need to look at the leak, so it's presumably safe. If someone's come up with something novel, though, they'll be able to explain why. For example, they might have written some homebrew that tested what happened on the real hardware and be able to provide it and its output, or they might have been asking project members what they knew about the issue and similar behaviour in other games that work or to test things.

I think it wouldn't be legal to have someone who'd read the leak veto changes that looked suspicious (as it wouldn't be legal for them to have looked at the leak in the first place), but even if it was, it would be a better use of the manpower if they were working on stuff themselves having not read the leak.
I love the stupidly high resolution screenshots. I'm just a little bit sad the WW Randomizer screenshot wasn't also rendered at 35x.

Otherwise thanks for the new article!