Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Idle Skipping
What is an "Idle" situation that the "Enable Idle Skipping" option skips? Is it like a loop constantly checking for something else to happen first before it progresses with its task or is it literally the component sleeping until another component commands it to wake up and do something? There's no real reason behind these questions, I'm just curious.

The first 2 sentences of the 2nd paragraph indicate that the following information will describe what happens when "Enable Idle Skipping" is disabled, yet the rest of the paragraph seems to describe what happens while that option is ENABLED. So there is no explanation of the performance increasing phenomena that people mention when disabling the option!

Also, now that "SyncOnIdleSkip" is enabled by default for everything, shouldn't the INI variable name be changed to "DoNotSyncOnIdleSkip" to better reflect the reason for the option to exist in a configurable format? Yes, this is being pedantic.
We detect two kinds of idle skipping:
- a branch instruction to itself
- a constant load, a compare, and a conditional branch instruction to the beginning

Both are infinite loops and only terminated by an interrupt. As interrupts are always synchronous in dolphin, we can just skip the time to the next interrupt.
I'll ask little differently, how many fps or % of speed can be realistically expected with optimizing the code?

Thanks for the info.
(11-06-2016, 09:18 AM)djneo Wrote: [ -> ]I'll ask little differently, how many fps or % of speed can be realistically expected with optimizing the code?

Which plattform, which game, relative to what?
Windows.
Let's say when someone runs a game at 40fps, is it possible that it will run at 60fps on the same machine when Dolphin 6 is out? Smile

Is this the main direction with these updates? Or is it the quality of graphics/audio?
So basically, you just want to know how much better/worse the next version will perform under an ideal scenario (settings configured for optimal experience) compared to the previous stable release? Some games that utilize certain functionality will see tremendous performance improvements (Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door for example), outside of that performance impact is all over the place depending on the game.
(11-06-2016, 12:13 PM)djneo Wrote: [ -> ]Windows.
Let's say when someone runs a game at 40fps, is it possible that it will run at 60fps on the same machine when Dolphin 6 is out? Smile

Is this the main direction with these updates? Or is it the quality of graphics/audio?
Hard to tell. We're usually going to get slower. But 5.0 was an exception. It's a balance of accuracy vs performance.
Ya, thanks guys.
And accuracy mean less glitchy, better graphics?

Example: right now DOF effect in Nhl2k11 looks quite bad with higher resolution. Like "ghost", imprecise I would say. So things like this is more accuracy?

That would be great.
More accuracy implies that the emulator is able to replicate the behaviour of the console with more precision. This means less bugs yeah. So if an emulator has a 100% accuracy it should exactly mimic the behaviour of the console. Sometimes accuracy means the emulator should have bugs, just take an example with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLsVWUbxIE0. Twilight Princess has this bug where you could block the game, however replicating the same bug within Dolphin caused no issue at all. Of course when striving for higher accuracy the bug should also occur within Dolphin.

If we truly want the highest accuracy... Well... Shouldn't Dolphin be limited to 480p instead? Isn't improving the image quality improvement a contradictory to accuracy? Well... Nevermind me, having higher accuracy is always better, but the potential for improving on the limitations of the hardware itself should be primary, at least for me and as long the accuracy does not suffer from it. I don't think it is that fun anymore to limit yourself to 480p for example.
Alright cool Smile
Thanks for explanation.