Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, it was very interesting to read. And glad to hear you've cut down your total time (still a lot of time but much less). That is really nothing short of amazing, given the quality that is shown. Again, great work.
I'm glad to hear you found a workable solution! It's nice to see how you cut out the nice-to-have bits and ended up with a much more efficient process. Thank you for all you do here.
Very nice to hear there is a more workable process. I guess FFCC with efb2tex and the patch is now just a perf boost if you are using 24 bit color. Are any other notable improvements known?
Also is your conversation with pokechu about Luigi's Mansion public? I would be curious to read it.
Quote:Also is your conversation with pokechu about Luigi's Mansion public? I would be curious to read it.

It is not public, but I can write up a gist on what Luigi's Mansion does when rendering.

Luigi's mansion renders in multiple passes. The first rendering pass is all solid objects as well as any bloom behind ghosts. Then the game RGB565 EFB Copies that into Main Memory. Also "it keeps depth around" so it can have ghosts behind objects and stuff, not sure how, pokechu didn't go into that. Luigi's Mansion then clears the screen (so the EFB is all black), renders transparent objects (such as ghosts) in half-scale mode (320x240). Then it RGBA8 EFB Copies that into Main Memory. Then it does another pass to combine the two together.

Quote:I guess FFCC with efb2tex and the patch is now just a perf boost if you are using 24 bit color.

Pardon? Force 24-bit Color is unrelated to performance and should not affect it at all.
(02-10-2024, 10:28 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]I'll dive a bit into how the sausage is made.

Spoiler:

Thanks for this very good write up. It was super interesting gaining an insight into your process. I haven't read the Report yet but rest assured that if I have a problem with it when I do, I will let you know. Although I'm confident it's still amazing Smile
(02-12-2024, 01:34 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Pardon? Force 24-bit Color is unrelated to performance and should not affect it at all.

As in, the options for not crashing FFCC are either turning efb2tex off or leaving it on while using the game patch right? The latter is more performant but causes more EFB copies to drop to RGB565.
Ahh right that is a thing. Yea the Force 24-bit Colour option should take care of that now!
Guys, can you review and merge this commit? It`s a simple fix for Windows users. But wasnt merged in a long time.

https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/9059

I been here forever too. Most fun era was the BT passthrough experiments.
You keep nagging about it in inappropriate places, but it already had a review which identified a potential problem, and the author never came back again to fix it or explain why it wasn't a real issue, so it needs someone who knows how it works to remake and resubmit it, or the original author to come back.
I believe it has been idle long enough that if you want to, you can clone and resubmit that pull request yourself. However, you would have to take responsibility for it and handle all the testing and any changes requested yourself.