Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How long is a piece of string?
It seems to depend on how much other work the GPU is doing at the time. Accessing the Z buffer is heavier than color... and under the right conditions can actually freeze the CPU completely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFPG70l4Sfc (apologies for terrible quality). No exceptions, machine checks or anything from the CPU; just completely non-responsive upon trying to read a Z value to see if the sun is exposed (for rendering the bloom effect).
The Prefetch Custom Texture option is a long time coming feature mainly due to the stutters that Dolphin suffers when playing a game, of course you have Ishiiruka build for that but it's a path in the right direction. This is an exciting feature. However, does this option only targets loading custom textures or does it also target stutters when playing a game for the first time without the textures?
Personally I've never really put into much attention on the stutters when I first started playing Metroid Prime on Dolphin, maybe it was just there I don't know.
The stutter you're talking about is due to shader compilation, not texture loading.
(06-01-2015, 10:58 PM)cyrax33 Wrote: [ -> ]However, does this option only targets loading custom textures or does it also target stutters when playing a game for the first time without the textures?

It only targets loading custom textures.
(06-01-2015, 11:24 PM)tueidj Wrote: [ -> ]The stutter you're talking about it due to shader compilation, not texture loading.

Oh ok, makes sense.
I didn't know about that flaw with the GCI folder (I've never used it). I would have lost a lot of progress in my games, because I almost always use the Ishiiruka builds, where games with custom textures always crash on exit (at least for me)  Tongue .

Enverex

Quote:Sure, those who own the original Nintendo 64 version could play it on console or an N64 Emulator

[color=#333333]As far as I'm aware, Pokemon Snap doesn't work on any N64 emulators because of these same weird bugs. It doesn't detect that you're pointing the camera at a Pokemon or it doesn't register that a Pokemon is in the picture, etc. Each N64 emulators is broken in a different way with the game and as far as I'm aware, it's not compatible with any of them.[/color]

[color=#333333]It's great that it's now playable in Dolphin, but unfortunately (unless I'm wrong) it won't benefit from higher internal rendering resolution that's possible on an N64 emulator making it far from ideal, as it's an emulator running inside an emulator. Given these fixes to Dolphin, you'd think someone could back-port them into the N64 emulators, but I don't know if any are actually still in active development for that to happen.[/color]
Enverex Wrote:It's great that it's now playable in Dolphin, but unfortunately (unless I'm wrong) it won't benefit from higher internal rendering resolution that's possible on an N64 emulator

Nope, raising internal resolution works in all VC titles! I have Pokémon Snap, and I have played it in Dolphin with 3x Native internal resolution and antialiasing. Big Grin

Enverex

(06-11-2015, 05:56 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]
Enverex Wrote:It's great that it's now playable in Dolphin, but unfortunately (unless I'm wrong) it won't benefit from higher internal rendering resolution that's possible on an N64 emulator

Nope, raising internal resolution works in all VC titles! I have Pokémon Snap, and I have played it in Dolphin with 3x Native internal resolution and antialiasing. Big Grin

Oh snap! (cwatididthre). Well that's good news then, I'm not entirely sure how that works as that makes it sound like the Wii is nativity running the game rather than emulating it if boosting the Wii's internal rendering resolution "just works" on VC titles. Very weird.
(06-11-2015, 06:05 PM)Enverex Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2015, 05:56 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh snap! (cwatididthre). Well that's good news then, I'm not entirely sure how that works as that makes it sound like the Wii is nativity running the game rather than emulating it if boosting the Wii's internal rendering resolution "just works" on VC titles. Very weird.

The Wii does emulate all Virtual Console games, but it uses its GPU to render the 3D graphics of N64 games, so Dolphin can apply enhancements just like with native GC/Wii games. It wouldn't have worked if N64 VC had been using software rendering, but that's not the case.