Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It's crazy to think that it's been 20 years since dolphins been released (and that I've been here for 13 of them).
I'm coming up on twelve myself, which is ridiculous as I think of people like you as ancient veterans who were around aeons before I was.
On the subject of ancient veterans, I guess we've finally dealt with NaturalViolence's complaints about IR not using as good a downscaling filter as SSAA did, and it just took the best part of a decade of him not bringing it up.
Good read!
Any hint what's that big thing that's coming up next? Smile)
I was both interested and surprised about the JIT Cache Page File growth on Windows.

I'm just going to assume you handled the edge cases like a user with 64GB of RAM who decided "I don't need a Page File" and Windows isn't able to allocate the memory necessary JIT cache. Because no one in their right mind would "ever" try such a thing, right? Angel
(11-30-2023, 07:30 AM)gamerk2 Wrote: [ -> ]I was both interested and surprised about the JIT Cache Page File growth on Windows.

I'm just going to assume you handled the edge cases like a user with 64GB of RAM who decided "I don't need a Page File" and Windows isn't able to allocate the memory necessary JIT cache. Because no one in their right mind would "ever" try such a thing, right? Angel

Indeed, the use of the page file has been debated for a long LONG time and today I think it's more relevant than ever with concerns over wear on SSD endurance.
Hell I've even recommended disabling it to some, because I know browsers (cough Discord cough) like to pile up boatloads of memory usage, which inevitably ends up in a paging file at some point, yielding high SSD writes, which is a concern on low end hardware.

It also sounds like this would be a process that requires 4G decoding, which not everyone has enabled...? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the exact scenario where it is relevant.
(11-26-2023, 04:06 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]On the subject of ancient veterans, I guess we've finally dealt with NaturalViolence's complaints about IR not using as good a downscaling filter as SSAA did, and it just took the best part of a decade of him not bringing it up.

I'm surprised you remember that.  It really was a decade ago.  I was active on this forum when I was in college, which was 2009-2013.
[Image: progressreportheader-january2024mini.jpg]

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2024/02/10/...uary-2024/

The November and December 2023, Jan 2024 Dolphin Progress Report is live! Feel free to discuss this month's update below.

So I didn't get any bites for new blog contributors (though I did get a few nibbles), so in this Report I followed a different creative strategy and writing style. Specifically, one I thought would give the best efficiency in writing with the least loss in quality, the most bang for the buck so to speak. I think it turned out pretty well. It does have a reduction in quality, but I only really cut out difficult to produce elements. The result is basically 90% of the report at 10% of the cost for me to make. Literally this Report took a tenth the time to make as the last one, not kidding. This is WAY more manageable!
(02-10-2024, 02:57 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]The result is basically 90% of the report at 10% of the cost for me to make. Literally this Report took a tenth the time to make as the last one, not kidding. This is WAY more manageable!

Not sure how you did this but thank you very much for another great report!!
(02-10-2024, 03:12 PM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how you did this but thank you very much for another great report!!

I'll dive a bit into how the sausage is made.

Spoiler: