Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hmm, yet another mysterious image for a header. Even after 3 months, I could never figure out the last one from 2016 ^^;
(10-05-2020, 03:24 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ][Image: dolphinprogressreportheader-august2020mini-2.jpg]

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2020/10/05/...gust-2020/

The July, August, and September Dolphin Progress Report is live! Feel free to discuss this month's update below.

Spoiler:

Great work by the blog team. This was so enjoyable to read and lots of fun with all the visuals. I believe the spoiler, the article is so massive, my browser window runs slow Big Grin.
(10-06-2020, 03:17 AM)Zeke Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, yet another mysterious image for a header. Even after 3 months, I could never figure out the last one from 2016 ^^;

The answer for the 2016 one is below! As for the latest, you'll have to figure that one out on your own. Here's a hint though - I learned something while making the report that lead me to remake the header. Here's the original, compare that to the current one.

Spoiler:
Great article as always! I was wondering, how do you devide the work? Do you pick the most interesting changes and divide these changes or do you work together on individual changes?
Wow, Dragon Ball Z? I would've never guessed. I was sure it had to be from some big RPG game.

Could the new one be Monster Hunter Tri? The bloom effect in the fog looks slightly different and I know that was part of the report.

whattheheckman

I always look forward to Dolphin updates 1stly for performance increases, but a very close second is the progress reports. They are always very interesting and fun to read, thanks fo rewriting them each month(s)!  Smile
(10-06-2020, 11:21 PM)Miksel12 Wrote: [ -> ]Great article as always! I was wondering, how do you devide the work? Do you pick the most interesting changes and devide these changes or do you work together on individual changes?

On average, JMC does most of the writing, while I do most of the media sourcing and all of the media editing and placing. But it's never that clearcut. JMC is a creative writer, while I'm a technical writer, so whenever the report gets really techy, I usually take over or am heavily involved in the writing for those bits. I did the MVP bits in this report, for example. I'll also handle really arty things like the Mon Hun Tri bits, I wrote most of that as well. On the other hand, JMC will source all of the android media for me as well as footage from esoteric games I don't have / know nothing about. For example, JMC sourced the Android GUI clip and all of the True Crime and MVP clips. So yea, it's not "JMC write May arts", we just do what we can based on our differing skillsets or just what we are interested in, so precise ratios are always different every time! Also it's not that JMC can't do technical writing and I can't do creative writing, it's just what we tend to be better at. Plus we review and fix up every bit of an article multiple times as we go through it.

(10-07-2020, 02:45 AM)Zeke Wrote: [ -> ]Could the new one be Monster Hunter Tri? The bloom effect in the fog looks slightly different and I know that was part of the report.

Yep yep, it's Monster Hunter Tri! I might have made that too easy, but oh well.
(10-06-2020, 08:01 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]As for the latest, you'll have to figure that one out on your own. Here's a hint though - I learned something while making the report that lead me to remake the header.

I was thinking it was Tri but was thinking that twas too easy. Lovely picture though. Just curious, what did you learn?
The original version of the header was taken with overbloom. But after researching and making a decent bloom replacement, I went back through to that spot and captured it with the recreation bloom I showed in the report.
(10-07-2020, 12:46 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]The original version of the header was taken with overbloom. But after researching and making a decent bloom replacement, I went back through to that spot and captured it with the recreation bloom I showed in the report.

Ah ok. I only own the demo version, I might have to try the code and see if it works there too.

It'll be good reference for something I'm working on...