Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(02-02-2015, 06:29 AM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]All these speedups are amazing. The speed boost in the latest development builds is now fast enough to outweigh the benefits of buffer_storage, which is really helpful for people like me who are stuck using old nVidia drivers that don't support it. I can finally move from 4.0.2 without suffering a performance drop. Smile

Did you know that you can easily pick the VSH again in current master builds? Just pick this commit https://github.com/degasus/dolphin/commi...6b1e20eddd and compile dolphin on your own Big Grin
Dolphin makes progress alright, as of 4.0-53xx, I found Dolphin to be very very stable.
I too have moved on from 4.0.2 and I'm enjoying every game to the fullest.
(02-02-2015, 10:28 PM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]Did you know that you can easily pick the VSH again in current master builds?
Thanks, I didn't know there was a commit for that. Unfortunately I only have MinGW on my machine, and I'm pretty sure Dolphin doesn't compile for Windows with gcc. Sad
Hey!
Long time Dolphin user, newcomer in these forums!

First of all, I'd like to thank the developers and commend them on their hard work! What you do is like magic. Dolphin Emulator is great, I love it's user frirendly design. Simple but sexy. You know, less is more. Big Grin ... Ok.

Last night I tried dolphin-master-4.0-5394-x64. Pretty darn good. Especially around the CPU Overclock hack. It makes Naruto GNT! 4 run at full and stable fps most of the time. With the lowest settings for me, that is. The trick was to set the scroll bar to the left, below 100%. Anyway, what I wanted to ask is - does this overclock feature actually tinker with the computer's processor clock speed or is all this emulated, virtual? Or to put it more bluntly - is it safe to use this feature? Because I already lost one machine due to overclocking so that Dolphin could run faster. And I read the Progress Report: January 2015 but I didn't understand. That's why I'm asking.

And one more thing - why is it that setting the Frame-Skip option to an even digit makes the game skip frames nicely, while setting it to an odd number leads to more screen freezes? And the bigger the odd number, the longer you'd have to wait until the screen is refreshed. I asked this on forums.ngemu.com, but so far no one has replied.
Thanks in advance!
Yes it's safe to use this. All it does is overclock/underclock the emulated Wii CPU, not your actual CPU.
If so then how come the devs didn't implement it earlier? As a speed hack or an option that should patch up gameplay until they make the core or emulator itself perfect, like how they're planning now? And how come this overclocked emulation actually really works without putting more strain on the PC? I don't really understand how it all works, actually...
You said you put it below 100%. That means you are underclocking the CPU of the Wii/GC. By doing this the emulated Wii/GC is 'weaker' (probably still strong enough to get the game working perfectly). However, your PC only has to emulate a 'weaker' console so that's why it's making things smoother for you.
I see. This determines the load on the PC itself. Basically a better control for the users over the emulator. And up until now the emulator was putting a big load on the PC. I remember a few years back how no matter what I did, games ran very slow.
I also saw a vid showcasing the overclock/underclock CPU feature for Android. I don't remember reading anything about it on the main page(could've just missed the article if it has been there at some point). I take it this is a side project in early development - extending Dolphin's capabilities. Making it mobile, right?
The mobile version has been in development for quite some time, actually. It's mostly Sonicadvance1 who is working on it.
Most games will not run at enjoyable speeds on most devices (though this seems to be changing recently). You're right, though, it deserves more attention.
OK. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Smile