Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(08-05-2019, 01:29 AM)Khronikos Wrote: [ -> ]It's pretty crappy to hear Dolphin will be dropping Win 7 any time soon.

We're not.

Quote:Not a good look if you ask me.

Don't care. Go use another Wii emulator.

Right now Win7 support isn't really a pain to support. Microsoft's MSVC toolchain and SDKs still support it perfectly fine. It works. We do however, love to adopt new SDK and compiler features, so you can imagine that as soon as Windows 7 support gets in the way of that, we'll look at dropping it. By that time Windows 7 will be VERY EOL. And if Microsoft doesn't care about you anymore, why should unpaid OSS developers?
* flash backs from when we had to drop Windows XP, async audio, DX9 and 32-bit support are coming to my mind *

You're all free to use whatever OS you want, just don't expect us caring about soon-to-be-EOL OSes when they eventually get in the way of further development, as others already said and as was stated on this month's progress report...

twocows

Minor correction, someone else probably already caught it, but MS didn't end support for Win7 yet. They ended mainline support, which is like feature updates and stuff. Extended support ends in January, I believe, so the system will receive security updates until then.

Unless by "official support" it's meant that DX updates have ceased, in which case I think that's correct.
So I'm testing games that rely on the LogicOps function and I'm not sure what to expect, Spyro Eternal Night didn't render the shadows on current dev build. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands also had some flickering on the shadow and ground polys.
If you know more games that make use of it let me know:

Code:
F-Zero GX (false positive)
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Star Fox Adventures
Super Mario Sunshine
Twilight Princess

Hunter: The Reckoning
Kirby - Return to Dreamland
Spyro: Eternal Night
Mario Kart Wii
Okami
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Resident Evil Code Veronica X
Skies Of Arcadia Legends
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
To elaborate on the Windows 7 support thing: We'll support Windows 7 as long as we reasonably can, but external factors could end that support at any point. Like, if MSVC drops Win7 support making it a pain for us, or some feature we really want to use not being available and it holds Dolphin back, Windows 7 support is outta here. We won't deliberately end support for Windows 7 as long as it's easy for us to continue to support it, but no one wants to jump through hoops for a 10 year old soon-to-be-EOL'd OS.
(08-05-2019, 02:46 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]We're not.

Don't care. Go use another Wii emulator.

Right now Win7 support isn't really a pain to support. Microsoft's MSVC toolchain and SDKs still support it perfectly fine. It works. We do however, love to adopt new SDK and compiler features, so you can imagine that as soon as Windows 7 support gets in the way of that, we'll look at dropping it. By that time Windows 7 will be VERY EOL. And if Microsoft doesn't care about you anymore, why should unpaid OSS developers?

Hey fuck you too. Have a nice day. Not only was your aberrant and rude post not needed, the issue was explained long before you posted.

I said it wasn't a good look if it meant SOON. As in there is no real reason it has to happen soon. I don't see Win 7 support getting in the way of anything major in the next year. But the post sounded like it could be dropped in the next couple months or something, which to me would have been preposterous.
Sometimes people will lash out over hearing the same things over again. It's not directly aimed at you. We've seen it over and over again with features in the past, so... sometimes there's a short fuse.

I think there was a slight misunderstanding and everyone should try to play nice, there's no reason for fighting.
The big issue with this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr1Q6P_-28s is that unless you're accessing it from the Blog you're missing out on the diagrams and such of what a sphere map is and the video doesn't draw much attention to that aspect being the most impressive technical feat pulled off by the game nor that it has anything to do with reflections etc. It also doesn't demonstrate for very long the dynamic resolution scaling during replays, it fades out/ends before we get to see the resolution dynamically change.

The reflections are indeed an incredible effect.

Also I think Conduit and Conduit 2 have dynamic resolution scaling? There was something they did that most Wii games never touched with a 10 foot pole.
Conduit 1 and 2 might. They definitely have a fully dynamic framerate depending on what's on screen, but that's also why they run like garbage in Dolphin. We need GPU timings.
(08-05-2019, 02:43 PM)Khronikos Wrote: [ -> ]Hey fuck you too. Have a nice day. Not only was your aberrant and rude post not needed, the issue was explained long before you posted.

I said it wasn't a good look if it meant SOON. As in there is no real reason it has to happen soon. I don't see Win 7 support getting in the way of anything major in the next year. But the post sounded like it could be dropped in the next couple months or something, which to me would have been preposterous.

What the..

We should be happy and thankful that these people are spending their spare time making this emulator. If it wasnt for dolphin, we wouldnt be able to play our most beloved gamecube games. They dont even get paid, they work for free and its not easy doing what they do.

I just hope they will implement some of my suggestions before they release the final version for my os.