Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06-11-2015, 05:56 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]
Enverex Wrote:It's great that it's now playable in Dolphin, but unfortunately (unless I'm wrong) it won't benefit from higher internal rendering resolution that's possible on an N64 emulator

Nope, raising internal resolution works in all VC titles! I have Pokémon Snap, and I have played it in Dolphin with 3x Native internal resolution and antialiasing. Big Grin

Not really NES or SNES.
(06-11-2015, 11:03 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]
Enverex Wrote:It's great that it's now playable in Dolphin, but unfortunately (unless I'm wrong) it won't benefit from higher internal rendering resolution that's possible on an N64 emulator

Nope, raising internal resolution works in all VC titles! I have Pokémon Snap, and I have played it in Dolphin with 3x Native internal resolution and antialiasing. Big Grin

Not really NES or SNES.

Raising internal resolution works in all virtual console games even NES and SNES. Problem is though that they use only 2d sprites and upscaling never works well with 2d elements, only with 3d elements.

Enverex

(06-12-2015, 04:28 AM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-11-2015, 11:03 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]

Not really NES or SNES.

Raising internal resolution works in all virtual console games even NES and SNES. Problem is though that the use only 2d sprites and upscaling never works well with 2d elements, only with 3d elements.

There's a massive difference between internal rendering resolution and simple "upscaling". One makes everything look better, the other just makes it bigger. I'm going to test the N64 games in VC now because this has made me question whether it really works or not.
(06-12-2015, 05:18 AM)Enverex Wrote: [ -> ]I'm going to test the N64 games in VC now because this has made me question whether it really works or not.

It works. I tried Mario 64 and Zelda OOT. By the way, the widesreen hack doesn't work properly with them, or in general with any Wii game. It's like it only works with Gamecube games.
The widescreen hack works in Wii games, and it behaves exactly the same as it does in GameCube games. But 99% of wii games are 16:9 so there is almost never a reason to use the hack with them.
Set the Wii configuration to 4:3 then force 16:9 in the graphics settings and turn on the widescreen hack in the graphics settings.
(06-12-2015, 02:23 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Set the Wii configuration to 4:3 then force 16:9 in the graphics settings and turn on the widescreen hack in the graphics settings.

Is that just for Wii games that don't have native 4:3 support? Or is that the procedure to follow for all Wii games so that their widescreen hacks work?
That is the procedure if you are running a 4:3 Wii game and want to run it in 16:9, such as with Virtual Console games.

For the vast majority of Wii games, you do not want to do that. However, you can, and it will behave exactly the same as when taking a 4:3 gamecube game and applying the widescreen hack to it, glitches and all. Please don't do that.

karasuhebi Wrote:Or is that the procedure to follow for all Wii games so that their widescreen hacks work?

Just to be clear, Wii games do not use widescreen hacks to be 16:9, they are naturally in 16:9 so no hacking is required at all. There are in fact GameCube games that naturally support 16:9 as well, but they don't have the automatic switch that the Wii does, so you have to set it to 16:9 aspect ratio and change the setting in the game's options. F-Zero and Star Fox Adventures are like that, and they don't need any widescreen hacks at all!
Do any of those Wii games also have 4:3 modes, or are they only capable of running 16:9, the way most GC games are only capable of running 4:3?
(06-12-2015, 02:23 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Set the Wii configuration to 4:3 then force 16:9 in the graphics settings and turn on the widescreen hack in the graphics settings.

Thanks for that! I didn't know/remember that trick. It worked with DBZ BT3 and Super Mario 64  Big Grin .