Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: progressreportheader-august2017mini.jpg]

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/09/02/...nd-august/

The July and August 2017 Dolphin Progress Report is live! Feel free to discuss this month's update below.

Irtiza987

(05-01-2014, 08:22 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Over on the Dolphin Blog, we've been doing a pretty good job at pointing out and explaining really big, in depth changes with the emulator. But there's a lot of little things that don't really fit that format well, but that we'd really like to mention in some way. So we're starting something new: the Dolphin Progress Report. It's a monthly series were we highlight a selection of interesting but small updates that are always happening but are easy to miss. The big updates are important, sure, but it's these little things that keep Dolphin moving forward. And every month there'll be a fun little bonus at the end Big Grin.

So as not to spam the board with tons of threads, all Dolphin Progress Reports will point to here for their comments. Every month when a new report is released, we'll post a comment here to let everyone know and to open up discussion.

You can view a list of all progress reports and get an RSS feed special for them on the Dolphin Progress Report Blog Series page.

-----

Since we're just starting off, the April update includes March!

[Image: Progressreportheader-april2014.jpg]

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/04/30/...pril-2014/

Feel free to discuss this month's update below

Will a stable build be available soon? Something like 5.5? If not how can I update to development versions regularly?
Regarding that bug with Zapper: One Wicked Cricket, I believe I've seen that DOLPHINSLOTA string in the OSReport log for one other title: The Game Boy Player. No idea what it means or if it's relevant. Would be kinda cool to see if it's anti-piracy or something.
Upgrading to development versions is as easy as downloading the latest version from the downloads page. You can safely delete your old Dolphin folder and replace it with the new one since all user settings are stored elsewhere. Also, there's nothing specific about the "stable" builds; it's kind of arbitrary when a stable build is decided upon.
My Macbook's Intel HD 4000 isn't powerful enough for 2x Internal Resolution on any game, so 1.5x is as high as I can go. I'm disappointed since this will lock out users of older laptops from newer developer builds. In my case it's a particularly acute problem because I can't use the Vulkan backend as macOS doesn't support it.

Users of newer iGPUs like the HD 530/630 might have been able to get away with 2.5x resolution on a 1080P monitor, which looks a lot better than 2x since it's closer to full HD. Dropping down to 2x basically means having to downgrade to a 720P monitor, because 2x looks awful on a 1080P screen.

It's all well and good for desktop users with dedicated GPUs, but I'd have liked to have used a fanless HTPC with Dolphin, which means using integrated graphics since these fanless cases don't support graphics cards. No iGPU without eDRAM can handle full 1080P, not for the next few years at least.
(09-02-2017, 09:29 PM)seoulgamer Wrote: [ -> ]My Macbook's Intel HD 4000 isn't powerful enough for 2x Internal Resolution on any game, so 1.5x is as high as I can go. I'm disappointed since this will lock out users of older laptops from newer developer builds. In my case it's a particularly acute problem because I can't use the Vulkan backend as macOS doesn't support it.

Users of newer iGPUs like the HD 530/630 might have been able to get away with 2.5x resolution on a 1080P monitor, which looks a lot better than 2x since it's closer to full HD. Dropping down to 2x basically means having to downgrade to a 720P monitor, because 2x looks awful on a 1080P screen.

It's all well and good for desktop users with dedicated GPUs, but I'd have liked to have used a fanless HTPC with Dolphin, which means using integrated graphics since these fanless cases don't support graphics cards. No iGPU without eDRAM can handle full 1080P, not for the next few years at least.

What's more important: Slightly higher resolution, or games... umm, working.
It's already been mentioned in the progress report that you can just stay on old builds if you don't want this change.
(09-02-2017, 09:33 PM)Ivybridge11 Wrote: [ -> ]What's more important: Slightly higher resolution, or games... umm, working.
It's already been mentioned in the progress report that you can just stay on old builds if you don't want this change.

I am staying on an older build, 5.0-5094. But future users who come to Dolphin with laptops won't be able to get playable speeds on developer builds.

It would have been great if they could have disabled non-integer resolutions on just the games that it crashes via INI, but then again it would be very hard to spot such crashes in the first place, so I suppose there was no other choice.
Broken preview of images at the end of the "5.0-5097 - Remove Fractional Internal Resolutions by JosJuice" section. There is a placeholder for one of the images and if I right-click it and choose "view image" it will load the image but there is only a place holder for one of the images.

LinAGKar

Maximization your possible resolution is not the only reason for using fractional resolution. It's also useful for getting a 1:1 mapping between the rendered image and the pixel grid, e.g. by rendering the game at the native resolution of your screen, thus avoiding the quality degradation caused by scaling.
@Franpa Dammit you weren't supposed to look at that specific second! Like, that was not even a minute. >_<

LinAGKar Wrote:It's also useful for getting a 1:1 mapping between the rendered image and the pixel grid, e.g. by rendering the game at the native resolution of your screen, thus avoiding the quality degradation caused by scaling.

Most screens resolutions are integer scales of 640px wide. You can just use 3x native for sharp 1920px wide (1080p), 4x native for sharp 2560px wide (1440p), 6x native for sharp 3840px wide (4K), etc etc. There are screens that are unusual resolutions, but it's not that common.