Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The blog system we're using doesn't allow that, unfortunately. :/
[Image: Progressreportheader-June2017mini.jpg]

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/07/01/...june-2017/

The June 2017 Dolphin Progress Report is live! Feel free to discuss this month's update below.
Do the Gecko code handler improvements mean that codes modifying GCN/Wii assembly actually work in real-time now such as the Wind Waker actor mods originally claimed not working in Dolphin by the code creator?
It would make code hacking attempts way easier provided pausing no longer breaks things after a few pauses when debugging is active.

Such a HUGE pain that I can't try to find codes in general when that pause=0fps afterward bug keeps happening (haven't tried newer builds since then yet) during search attempts,let alone ones involving ASM modding at decent frame rates via normally save-state loading so that the game updates from the changed values.
Trying to search for and change values in assembly memory requires pausing to avoid crashing if it is now able to update results without needing to use the ever-much slower Interpreter.
Oh,I forgot that Dolphin has you changing the entire 32bit values instantly instead of per byte changes,so pausing wouldn't even be required if you only wanted to modify one 32bit slot of memory,but its still convenient to pause and change dozens at a time if I wanted to stumble on some funny corruption codes at the risk of hangs/crashing.
Also,I hope that patch codes have been fixed,as the Hyrule Field Speedhack for example no longer works as a patch code and only worked properly when manually added as either an AR code or Gecko code with the proper changes made for either codetype respectively.

I really think that adding/editing/deleting/etc. Gecko codes should be made possible in the UI like AR codes so that they are less of a pain to deal with requiring the user to edit .ini files with a popular 3rd party text editor,also having to give it that extra empty line (if not already fixed) so it doesn't erase one address on the very last code listed.

Sorry if I appear to be complaining,these are just explanations of problems and complications that could hopefully be fixed and enhanced sooner or later.
Dolphin's hooking is still time based. Sorry. We need to fix that.
(05-01-2014, 08:22 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Over on the Dolphin Blog, we've been doing a pretty good job at pointing out and explaining really big, in depth changes with the emulator. But there's a lot of little things that don't really fit that format well, but that we'd really like to mention in some way. So we're starting something new: the Dolphin Progress Report. It's a monthly series were we highlight a selection of interesting but small updates that are always happening but are easy to miss. The big updates are important, sure, but it's these little things that keep Dolphin moving forward. And every month there'll be a fun little bonus at the end Big Grin.

So as not to spam the board with tons of threads, all Dolphin Progress Reports will point to here for their comments. Every month when a new report is released, we'll post a comment here to let everyone know and to open up discussion.

You can view a list of all progress reports and get an RSS feed special for them on the Dolphin Progress Report Blog Series page.

-----

Since we're just starting off, the April update includes March!

[Image: Progressreportheader-april2014.jpg]

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/04/30/...pril-2014/

Feel free to discuss this month's update below.

ad netplay on android
Oh boy that would be a fun experience. Blazing 10fps action and a phone so hot you need oven mitts to hold it!
Technically Android already supports Netplay, there's just no interface to use it.

yayman123

(07-05-2017, 10:08 PM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]Oh boy that would be a fun experience. Blazing 10fps action and a phone so hot you need oven mitts to hold it!

Whhaat? I would expect that by now we would've been able to hit atleast 11 fps on Androids... Some of the newer phones are faster than my old PC. The Snapdragon 835 can run full blown Windows, with x86 support through emulation. I'd say we're getting close to useable dolphin performance... Just a couple more years...

On a completely different note. WHO'S IDEA WAS IT TO GET RID OF THE DX12 BACKEND??? You wanna know why you shouldn't get rid of it? Because all the other backends SUCK. Take Mario Kart for example. 11-15 fps on my 940M with Vulkan, yet completely stable/solid 60FPS on the DX backend. Seriously a bad idea to remove it.  Angry
/endrant
(07-26-2017, 12:17 PM)yayman123 Wrote: [ -> ]Whhaat? I would expect that by now we would've been able to hit atleast 11 fps on Androids... Some of the newer phones are faster than my old PC. The Snapdragon 835 can run full blown Windows, with x86 support through emulation. I'd say we're getting close to useable dolphin performance... Just a couple more years...

On a completely different note. WHO'S IDEA WAS IT TO GET RID OF THE DX12 BACKEND??? You wanna know why you shouldn't get rid of it? Because all the other backends SUCK. Take Mario Kart for example. 11-15 fps on my 940M with Vulkan, yet completely stable/solid 60FPS on the DX backend. Seriously a bad idea to remove it.  Angry
/endrant
Are you up to the challenge of maintaining it? Let me guess... nope.

Looks like somebody didn´t read the May 2017´s Progress Report.
It was unmaintained and fundamentally flawed. Performance isn't the indication of a great backend. Maintainability, code quality, AND performance all come together to matter. If Vulkan is only reaching 15 FPS, it sounds like your drivers are failing hard.