Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On Windows 7, you can disable DWM by disabling the Aero theme, then you can use borderless fullscreen without vsync.

There's an upcoming feature for Vulkan that might be a proper replacement for exclusive fullscreen, but i don't know the details, and it would need to be implemented in Vulkan at all, before it can be implemented in Dolphin.
I doubt D3D support would ever get dropped as long as there's somebody around who wants to work on it. The only way D3D would die would be if every Windows developer left and OGL/Vulkan ended up being miles ahead in terms of performance and accuracy to the point where keeping the unmaintained D3D backend(s) was detrimental to Dolphin's future progress.
You mean like PCSX2
(10-07-2016, 03:17 AM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]On Windows 7, you can disable DWM by disabling the Aero theme, then you can use borderless fullscreen without vsync.

There's an upcoming feature for Vulkan that might be a proper replacement for exclusive fullscreen, but i don't know the details, and it would need to be implemented in Vulkan at all, before it can be implemented in Dolphin.

Yeah I know, however whenever I test that out I find that disabling Aero and/or the DWM it self will cause vsync in Windowed software to straight up not work at all even if it is forced via the video drivers. Depending on your setup and the programs you're using you might not experience much screen tearing and might not realize that the vsync isn't functioning (Or maybe only some programs are negatively affected, I didn't test a huge a mount of software as I do straight up prefer proper fullscreen modes, it's become habitual since I first shifted from Windows XP to a newer version of Windows).

You can also disable the DWM in Windows 8.1 without the DWM service auto-restarting (Taskbar and Start Menu will not render correctly). The method used in Windows 8.1 doesn't work in Windows 10 though, in Windows 10 the computer deadlocks as soon as you suspend the winlogon.exe process. here is how you accomplish it in Windows 8.1:

Quote:KILL explorer.exe

SUSPEND winlogon.exe
[This is so you can do the next step without it automatically restarting. This will crash Windows 10 operating systems]

KILL dwm.exe
[This is what you don't want to be running, it's the desktop windows manager and performs desktop composition/vsync]

Use Task Manager to open Explorer.exe
[Start Menu and Taskbar will not render correctly under Windows 8 without dwm.exe but your games will work fine, just load them via Task Manager or Windows Explorer]

RESUME winlogon.exe when you want dwm.exe back (or restart computer)
[You may have to kill explorer again and suspend winlogon.exe again to get it to be resumeable, hence the suggestion to simply reboot the PC as that is easier to do]

I believe the issue of a lack of vsync also occurs under Windows 8.1 when the DWM is killed.
(10-07-2016, 04:27 AM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt D3D support would ever get dropped as long as there's somebody around who wants to work on it. The only way D3D would die would be if every Windows developer left and OGL/Vulkan ended up being miles ahead in terms of performance and accuracy to the point where keeping the unmaintained D3D backend(s) was detrimental to Dolphin's future progress.

Thing is, so far, D3D11 is going to be limited and I forsee it eventually being dropped for D3D12.

D3D12 doesn't work on anything atm but Windows 10.

If Vulkan, which works on Win 7/8/10, Android, Linux, (even Apple if they didn't decide to work on their own API shenanigans), grows to meet D3D12 in terms of accuracy and performance, is there any reason to keep D3D12? A lot of PC users are really trying to avoid Windows 10 for whatever personal reasons, and I know the majority of people will eventually be on Windows 10 or Windows w/e else in the future, but still.
(10-07-2016, 03:18 PM)Franpa Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I know, however whenever I test that out I find that disabling Aero and/or the DWM it self will cause vsync in Windowed software to straight up not work at all even if it is forced via the video drivers. [...]

There's no such thing as forcing vsync via the driver. That option never works. I think it's intended to work for Opengl or something.

With Aero disabled, your program needs to implement vsync. For PC games i use D3DOverrider, if a game does not have a vsync option.

I think that's enough off topic talk...
(10-08-2016, 02:43 AM)mimimi Wrote: [ -> ]There's no such thing as forcing vsync via the driver. That option never works. I think it's intended to work for Opengl or something.

With Aero disabled, your program needs to implement vsync. For PC games i use D3DOverrider, if a game does not have a vsync option.

I think that's enough off topic talk...

It works in the games I play (in fullscreen exclusive display mode), though yes it tends to not work for various emulators and programs that completely lack an in-game vsync setting (Which is when D3DOverrider would be required).
Apparently, at least for Nvidia Geforce cards, Vulkan offers exclusive fullscreen, if using the 372.54 Driver. this was at least mentioned by Axel Gneiting here: https://twitter.com/axelgneiting/status/...7338555392 . In my case before that driver, vulkan would have major performance and stuttering issues if i tried to use it. after the driver however, stuttering was gone and performance was more than OGL and DX11 (for a handful of games, some were about equal, some wouldn't even display stuff, still good progress nonetheless in performance benefits overall) so it seems as though the driver did bring exclusive fullscreen, although idk if others may have some same improvements. I do hope that exclusive fullscreen becomes standard for vulkan drivers overall, and I honestly wouldn't mind it becoming the primary backend, due to how it benefits all targets commonly with the lower-level benefits, while using pretty much the same codebase.
(10-13-2016, 10:40 PM)Isaboll1 Wrote: [ -> ]Apparently, at least for Nvidia Geforce cards, Vulkan offers exclusive fullscreen, if using the 372.54 Driver.

(10-13-2016, 10:40 PM)Isaboll1 Wrote: [ -> ]it seems as though the driver did bring exclusive fullscreen

If you have Mega Man X Collection, you can verify it by doing what they did in the progress report to showcase it:
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/07/31/...-armada651
(10-14-2016, 12:08 AM)karasuhebi Wrote: [ -> ]If you have Mega Man X Collection, you can verify it by doing what they did in the progress report to showcase it:
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/07/31/...-armada651

In my own testing with the megaman x collection and Vulkan, I can verify that while using the driver, the frames were displayed correctly while at fullscreen, just like how exclusive fullscreen should work in the example given in the link. I tried creating a gif but i wasn't able to