Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(02-04-2021, 04:18 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]Working on it!

[Image: wf0stRe.gif]

Ahaahah good luck !  Wink

Waiting the news too   Tongue
Thank you for the update! Looking forward to it! It would be interesting to know what's on the horizon for the emulator too. Where are the areas developers are interested in improving. What are the goals are for the year. Any special projects that a developer is focusing on. Sorry for the unsolicited thoughts but I'm so amazed by the developers and "staff" here. Thank you for all the great work!
(02-05-2021, 03:34 PM)RepWolf Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the update! Looking forward to it! It would be interesting to know what's on the horizon for the emulator too. Where are the areas developers are interested in improving. What are the goals are for the year. Any special projects that a developer is focusing on. Sorry for the unsolicited thoughts but I'm so amazed by the developers and "staff" here. Thank you for all the great work!

In general, you can see a lot of the changes developers are currently working on at Dolphin's github.

However, for hopes & dreams type stuff, that's going to vary developer by developer.

I have quite a few ideas sitting in an ideas folder right now but I imagine only a fraction of them I'll actually get to do. Last year was a crazy year for me and Dolphin, I'm not sure I'll be able to or want to continue that workload. So take my comments with that in mind.

Right now I have the following planned for 2021:

* Free Look changes (you can see some of the ideas I have on github but there's a few more waiting on those to be completed)
* Overhaul Dolphin's post processing shader system (been working on polish the last month or so, maybe 80% done, still lots to do)
* Dynamic Input Texture enhancements to make it compatible with more games and devices!

I have so many features I'd love to help work on but here's just a smattering:

* Some UI changes (ex: getting a proper configuration window for game specific settings that feels similar to how you'd change settings globally)
* Improving shader compilation / normalizing shaders by using SPIRV everywhere
* A Wii NAND browser

I'd love some of the other developers to take on (I feel others are maybe a better fit for this work from a technical standpoint but I'd like to look at it at some point if it's not implemented):

* Wiimote Relative tilt
* Wiimote configurable strength shake / swing (I hacked this in at one point but it was taken out..)
* WiiConnect24 support
* A proper file replacement feature (modding)
* VR
(02-06-2021, 04:52 AM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]In general, you can see a lot of the changes developers are currently working on at Dolphin's github.

However, for hopes & dreams type stuff, that's going to vary developer by developer.

I have quite a few ideas sitting in an ideas folder right now but I imagine only a fraction of them I'll actually get to do.  Last year was a crazy year for me and Dolphin, I'm not sure I'll be able to or want to continue that workload.  So take my comments with that in mind.

Right now I have the following planned for 2021:

* Free Look changes (you can see some of the ideas I have on github but there's a few more waiting on those to be completed)
* Overhaul Dolphin's post processing shader system (been working on polish the last month or so, maybe 80% done, still lots to do)
* Dynamic Input Texture enhancements to make it compatible with more games and devices!

I have so many features I'd love to help work on but here's just a smattering:

* Some UI changes (ex: getting a proper configuration window for game specific settings that feels similar to how you'd change settings globally)
* Improving shader compilation / normalizing shaders by using SPIRV everywhere
* A Wii NAND browser

I'd love some of the other developers to take on (I feel others are maybe a better fit for this work from a technical standpoint but I'd like to look at it at some point if it's not implemented):

* Wiimote Relative tilt
* Wiimote configurable strength shake / swing (I hacked this in at one point but it was taken out..)
* WiiConnect24 support
* A proper file replacement feature (modding)
* VR
Wow! A response from iwubcode! Awesome Smile

I've been reading your additions in the GitHub and always look further into what you have been adding. Thank you for all your additions in 2020. 

Very interesting ideas. I have seen the Free Look in videos and it's so cool how people use it. It seems like just a few years ago they overhauled the post processing shader system... but maybe I'm not understanding this correctly.

Thank you for your update. Much appreciated and I hope other developers look into your ideas and offer their take on it.

Thank you!
[Image: progressreportheader-Dec2020mini.jpg]

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2021/02/11/...uary-2021/

The Dec 2020 and January 2021 Dolphin Progress Report is live! Feel free to discuss this month's update below.

Spoiler:
That Crystal Chronicles bug is just absolutely bonkers
(02-11-2021, 03:06 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]
Spoiler:
Not exactly on-topic but IIRC it's not the first time you or JMC mention being overwhelmed with the progress reports, despite writing them less frequently now and not sticking to super tight deadlines like on the earlier days. I mean, I don't mind having less frequent progress reports and I think it's totally fair to take this direction if it means less pressure on the blog team, but even those countermeasures doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore. Perhaps it's time to find more people to help with the blog stuff? Just a thought...
This one was a special case. After making a bunch of really great Dolphin changes, smurt3tte disappeared. That isn't that unusual but, the timing was really bad for the report and it made their sections way harder. Especially Crystal Chronicles. That was a nightmare. I had to basically write it based on what they said and then show it to devs over and over again fixes incorrect bits. Fortunately HdkR ( <3 ) helped me a lot and it came together. For a long while it seemed like might not come together.

Sadly in that situation having more people helping wouldn't have helped that particular situation. The best way to help it would have been for me to have a conversation with smurf3tte. Oh well. Couldn't be helped.

Cycloneblaze

I registered this account to let you know that even if these Progress Reports continue to take a long time to write, they are appreciated, and I hope they don't stop!
Amazing work on the progress report! An absolute joy to read.
I really hope to see smurf3tte drop by in the future because those are some great findings/fixes. There is even a branch that fixes True Crime: New York City on their github (the NaN issue). (https://github.com/smurf3tte/dolphin/com...ecrime_nyc)