Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Progress Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Amazing report as always!!
Interesting read, I am curious about this message Avalanche Software left in their game. I tried looking around for it but I couldn't find it on the web.
(02-08-2020, 07:21 AM)Vergil2501 Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting read, I am curious about this message Avalanche Software left in their game. I tried looking around for it but I couldn't find it on the web.

You can find it at https://tcrf.net/Meet_the_Robinsons_(GameCube)

(Warning for bad language, I guess)

Overhaul

As great news as it is to hear that Dolphin can run on arm64, I'm such a dunce that I cant make a build. Can anyone show me a tutorial on how to build dolphin? I don't know what "pull" means in visual studios or pull submodules. thanks
(02-08-2020, 05:18 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Great writing as always, but given how whiny our Android user base often is, I definitely miss a mention of the Vulkan workaround added in 5.0-11605 (PR #8595) on this progress report...

We had our plates plenty full this month, so we may not have been as thorough as usual in looking for changes. Still though, this report was already 4000 words long as it is, we definitely didn't need more content.
Also it doesn't fully fix the regression, which is why it got cut. Vulkan is still slow as hell.
Really nice header image @MayImilae, I like the aztec feel, though I have no idea where it came from Smile.

And of course, thanks for another great article!
(02-08-2020, 05:13 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]It copies duplicate frames automatically because it displays every single XFB copy.  Correct emulation was doing a little speedhack (for extremely weak GPUs) to only show XFB copies if something changed.  In 30 FPS games, that meant displaying at 30 FPS and skipping the XFB copy in between.

Okay, I still feel like more can be done. It should be possible to have the software work better with the Desktop Window manager to avoid skipped/duplicate frames. For example Snes9x v1.60 introduced a configuration file tweak that, at least for me, 100% resolves anomalous stutters that were unrelated to emulation performance and entirely related to how the DWM was handling the graphics data being sent to it via the Snes9x program.

That program is Open Source so you could give it a look to see how that feature works and maybe trial it in Dolphin or something? It wouldn't surprise me if the tweak is something along the lines of this:

Code:
if (DWM.isEnabled()) {
present();
DWM.DwmFlush();}
else {
waitForVBlank();
present();}

it's really dumb that the Windows DWM doesn't generate a fake VBlank signal for software to respond to, it'd resolve anomalous behaviour in all legacy software that isn't written with the DWM in mind and it'd let developers keep using traditional methods of detecting when to present a new video frame without experiencing anomalous behaviour from the DWM. Afaik Apple's DWM generates a fake VBlank signal. Microsoft could even apply proper Triple Buffering to the desktop to keep it feeling snappy while eliminating tearing (if the DWM was updated to generate a fake VBlank signal).
I've been using Dolphin and following its development for over 5 years now and had been meaning to make an account here for ages, but the thing that finally drove me to it was curiosity: I must know what game that header background comes from.

After searching through dozens of well-known GC and Wii games, I can't find anything that even comes close to the same graphical style.
I'll never tell! But since you came to ask about it, I will say that you'll be shocked at just how obvious it really is.