Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Feature Request Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(10-29-2023, 11:06 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean HD texture packs? Are you using Compile Shaders Before Starting?

No I am not using any HD texture packs.
Yes I have shader compilation before start enabled.

intel 13100 CPU & RTX 4090 GPU. However, my ROMS are loaded off an internal spindle HDD.
Even the slowest HDD outperforms the data throughput of a GC/Wii disc, so your stutters are likely caused by something else...

Edit: this particular subject was getting off-topic, so it got split on its own thread. For context, that was the last reply before the split:

(11-02-2023, 08:43 PM)bLUEbYTE Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm I don't think so. I am fairly certain that it happens whenever the game reads from the ISO file. Otherwise it not have happen significantly more often when e.g. my torrent client is active on the same disk or I am running a defrag on it, but it does. It is quite reproducible.

Since my original post sort of disappeared in the last page, I feel like I should reiterate: I am requesting a "Cache entire ISO/RVZ/WBFS to RAM" feature.
(03-15-2009, 09:52 AM)omegadox Wrote: [ -> ]Post your dolphin ideas and requests here.

It'd be nice if Dolphin had upscale resolutions between 1.0x and 2.0x, like PCSX2 does.

As someone whose PC is (evidently) very mediocre, but still has enough headspace to usually get up to 1.4x/1.5x resolution, it'd be a nice feature to have!

Thank you.
So we had that feature once but we had to remove it. It lead to a lot of problems and even wiped saves in extreme cases! https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/09/02/...y-josjuice
Memory card hotswap for netplay would be nice, since a few games let you take a second file from the card in slot B for players 2 to 4, (main premise is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles' "Bring A Friend" button, letting you take a character on another card and have them join you temporarily. Another game is Phantasy Star Online, letting you copy up to 3 characters to temporary slots on Card A, which was to let you take your friends characters off their cards for multiplayer on the same gamecube)
the main idea is to have a "Card B Hotswap" mode, letting any netplay player insert a memory card into Slot B, temporarily sending it to the other players for netplay, letting them do what they wanted to do with it, then eject it and have the ability to let someone else do the same, all in one netplay session without desync. it doesn't have to be just Card B too, you could also have Slot A be swapped out, if possible. if you're worried about players ejecting another person's card while it's saving, just make it so that only the player who inserted the card and maybe the host eject it. that way you can only have a player insert one when there is no card already inserted.
(06-11-2023, 05:33 PM)StrikerTheHedgefox Wrote: [ -> ]Would it be possible to implement the ability to use saves from a Nintendont Save Folder? I tend to move between real hardware and emulation, so having this feature would be very nice.

All it is, is a folder filled with a bunch of .RAW memory card files named after the game's ID, so for example, Star Fox Assault would use GF7E.raw.

Nintendont's RAW files already work, i've transferred saves from my Wii U to dolphin back and forth all the time.
You can even use Dolphin emulator's memory card manager to convert it into a file that works in dolphin's GCI folder system.
(11-18-2023, 09:23 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]So we had that feature once but we had to remove it. It lead to a lot of problems and even wiped saves in extreme cases! https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2017/09/02/...y-josjuice

What about scaling X and Y resolution separately, like Xenia does?
A post-process effect that does some sort of motion blur? Doesn't have to be anything crazy, but maybe akin to how some GBA emulators do a sort of motion blur to recreate the slow pixel response time of a real GBA where some games, e.g. F-Zero Maximum Velocity, would flash the map on and off to create transparency.

My interest is that the likes of a real GameCube/Wii would have things like the deflicker filter and interlaced output which, in some circumstances, result in at least a bit of blending of fast rapid motion, such as the shaking of the bubbles in Bust-A-Move 3000/Super Bust-A-Move All Stars when they're about to move down a line.

On modern TVs, especially OLEDs, you can probably cheat and enable the likes of "cinematic motion" which are specific motion interpolation settings designed to mimic the slower pixel response times of older display technology because 24fps films can look horribly choppy when you have sub-millisecond pixel response times, though any such interpolation will increase input lag by several frames and doesn't take into account that you might only want this for a couple of games and not everything on that given video input.

EDIT: So it turns out that you can't set a post-processing effect on a per-game basis. Therefore, allow me to make a second feature request:

A per-game setting for post-processing effect.
Post processing will be receiving a third rewrite soon™. It has taken a while because it's part of a full system design that is now known as graphics mods and the material/shader system but it is still coming.

That being said, others have made smaller changes to the existing system and maybe someone would want to take on this work.
(12-10-2023, 06:27 AM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]Post processing will be receiving a third rewrite soon™. It has taken a while because it's part of a full system design that is now known as graphics mods and the material/shader system but it is still coming.

That being said, others have made smaller changes to the existing system and maybe someone would want to take on this work.

That are fantastic news, thank you! Cant wait for the materials/dynamic lightning possibilities.