Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Feature Request Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(04-07-2021, 12:45 PM)Zopolis4 Wrote: [ -> ]The ability to compare two wii game files (iso/wfbs/rvz/...) and automatically extract only the files that have been changed (or added) from one version to the next. This would be useful in situations such as when one has a patched (modded) game and wishes to extract the modded files despite not knowing what all of them are. While it might be possible to manually go through and check, it is difficult and time-consuming, especially if one has multiple files.

I see the need, just personally I'd rather see us spend time to make an actual mod system so that users stop making modified versions of games. The main reason these modified images need to exist is because there's no mod system.
(04-07-2021, 01:19 PM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]I see the need, just personally I'd rather see us spend time to make an actual mod system so that users stop making modified versions of games.  The main reason these modified images need to exist is because there's no mod system.

I mean, dolphin can play the games through extracted file systems, where you just copy and paste the files over, but if you have lots of mods, that gets big fast. A riivolution type on the fly patching system would be a godsend. The main reason these exist is because most people downloading mods arent very experienced, and wouldnt know how to do such a thing. The main advice I see is to use wiiscrubber to patch each one of the files in manually, which...

boiffard

Hi,

First of all, thank you very much for the amazing work.

I'm currently playing with 3 monitors and I don't know if it'd be possible to implement a "expanded 4:3" version of the widescreen hack. For this I mean playing in 4:3 but changing the black bars with more 3D. As it is right now, the 3D affected by the hack is perfect on the 3 screens. But the unaffected part of the hack stretches to fill the screen, so in wider resolutions seems unreadable. If wherever in the code this "stretching" was substituted by a "horizontal centering without stretching" of the unaffected layer of the widescreen hack, that would be it.

This is the default behaivour of Supermodel emulator for racing games, and some teknoparrot games hacked for widescreen behaves like this, and I think it's the best thing for resolutions wider than 16:9. The downside is some 3d rubbish outside the central 4:3 area in menus or GUI, that would normally be hidden for being outside the regular 4:3 area, but it's a lot better than ultra-stretched menus/ GUIs layers. For 16:9 it's uglier to have two little "out of the scene" areas in both sides, and this stretching isn't deforming much what it's inside, so it's better like it is. (Although this may also be even interesting for 16:9 if the stretched layer contains pixelart that lose the h/v proportion). But once we start to get wider than 16:9 (32:9, 48:9...) the stretching isn't nice at all.

I think it's the optimal configuration in widescreen for every racing game, and maybe for other genres can bring a curious and playable "4:3 + out of the scenes" POV.

The "expanded 4:3" in scud race with supermodel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4G4-9WWEAg

Edit: In teknoparrot Initial D 6 as it's native 16:9 it's more "expanded 16:9", (maybe in some wii games with native 16:9 can be considered, but none in GC I think)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afnixywmTmg

F-Zero GX in dolphin, we're almost'there, but the "unhacked" layer is stretched to fill the screen's resolution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwE_9jKBZlw

Thanks,
Yeah, I'd be glad to have a modding tool, too, but I guess it'd be way too hard to create that tool, and to do mods by yourself, since the initial games were all made to be unmoddable...
If it was somehow doable, still, I'd be all over it.
(04-07-2021, 01:19 PM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]I see the need, just personally I'd rather see us spend time to make an actual mod system so that users stop making modified versions of games.  The main reason these modified images need to exist is because there's no mod system.

Although, most of these mods support riivolution, which seems like it would be possible to port to dolphin, so that could be a solution.

Brenmaster10

Im playing a game called Dragon ball budokai tenkaichi 3 for the wii and me and my friend want to play tournament mode. the game obviously thinks that since we are using netplay that we are in the same room but thats obviously not the case. The tournament mode requires you to switch "controller one" "hypothetically" to one another. The game works perfectly but without being able to switch who controls which controller mid game this functionality is completely useless within the game. I would like to have the option to change who controls which controller mid game with a menu similar to gold mode or something like that.
Yet another GameINI feature request: allow to enable texture dumping on per-game basis. It's pretty annoying when I'm dumping textures from one specific game and then decide to play something else and Dolphin is stuttering hard dumping all the textures.
Better yet, make all the settings menus per-game, Config, Graphics, and Controllers should be available when right-clicking any game.
Has Dolphin development ever tested software Integer Scaling? The general opinion is that Integer doesn't look as good on 3D games compared to 2D games but I beg to differ as I've used it on various 90s PC FPS games like Quake, DOOM and CS 1.6 and Integer can give a nice sharp look to 640x480 resolutions and lower. There are some 2D GameCube/Wii/WiiWare games that could benefit from this too.

Mario32

I would love it if there were an option to dump mipmaps and base textures but put them in a separate folder. I want to get them but there's so much total junk in some games that gets outputted if I want to find another texture that's not one of these types.