Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Feature Request Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Re-adding triforce support? I know this would be a huge ask, but it'd be amazing for many reasons. Currently, it is very hard to emulate great games like f-zero ax and mariokart arcade gp(2). You can either use MAME, which is less than desired for obvious reasons (difficult to understand, designed for perfect recreation not usability). You can buy a wii, homebrew it, and use nintendont, which aside from being not that great of an emulator, limited by the power of the wii, highly unlikely to receive too much support, and probably destined to fade into obscurity along with the wii considering it cannot be emulated (emulating a system exclusively on a discontinued underpowered console is not a great idea) is a hurdle, while not currently massive due to the commonness of the wii, will get worse with time. Or, you can use an old version of dolphin which is difficult to use (using an old version makes one really appreciate the menu changes) and not supported. None of these options are desirable, and having a easily available, simple to use yet powerful, well built, constantly supported emulator like dolphin add triforce games to its impressive list of compatibility would be a godsend.
1) Option to disable scaling filter that blurs image;
2) Option to input window size (display area) manually.
Could someone please add Downsampling to Dolphin? I tried forcing 848x480 in the NVIDIA Control panel, then setting Dolphin to 1440p or 1080p and liked the result very much. However, the NVIDIA control panel sucks because it seems to forget the custom resolution every time I switch back to 1920x1080.

Basically, being able to upscale at n*IR than downsample at 1/n would be awesome. I use that when I emulate the N64 with ParaLLEl RDP plugin. On Dolphin, the test I ran with Twilight Princess really made the visuals more tolerable. (Pure upscaling magnify the visual oddities of the original game and native resolution is too blurry.)

Further reading: https://www.libretro.com/index.php/paral...ally-here/
(09-05-2020, 11:29 PM)Bowi Wrote: [ -> ]Basically, being able to upscale at n*IR than downsample at 1/n would be awesome. I use that when I emulate the N64 with ParaLLEl RDP plugin. On Dolphin, the test I ran with Twilight Princess really made the visuals more tolerable. (Pure upscaling magnify the visual oddities of the original game and native resolution is too blurry.)

This is essentially what SSAA does. Does that work for you, or is there a particular reason (needing more control over the exact resolution? why it doesn't?
(09-06-2020, 12:26 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]This is essentially what SSAA does. Does that work for you, or is there a particular reason (needing more control over the exact resolution? why it doesn't?

I'll have a look af 1xIR + SSAA. Maybe I misunderstood how this whole thing works. Tongue As for the duplicate in Developers Sub-Forum, O posted over there at first, then I saw this thread here.

However, have a look here: https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#ive-go...uld-i-tell. It says "Most of the Dolphin developers read the 'Development discussion' forum. Posting a thread there might be a good idea to get some feedback from developers but also from users."
Quick feature request - I use Steam Link to stream Dolphin and it would be nice to have a stream-friendly UI (XMB style) for game title selection via a controller/joystick vs. having to use a mouse and keyboard. Thanks for any consideration!
(09-06-2020, 03:59 AM)ForkWNY Wrote: [ -> ]Quick feature request - I use Steam Link to stream Dolphin and it would be nice to have a stream-friendly UI (XMB style) for game title selection via a controller/joystick vs. having to use a mouse and keyboard. Thanks for any consideration!

I'd love to see a UI centric system. That was partially why I was working on my pause screen for modifying PC-like options. Currently we use imgui for our UI and I really don't like it from a presentation standpoint. More work would be needed for something nicer though.

But back to your request, for game selection, I'd suggest just using a frontend. Launchbox, Playnite, Pegasus (my personal choice with gameOS theme), etc. You can even use something like Steam ROM Manager to manage your games.

(09-05-2020, 11:29 PM)Bowi Wrote: [ -> ]Could someone please add Downsampling to Dolphin? I tried forcing 848x480 in the NVIDIA Control panel, then setting Dolphin to 1440p or 1080p and liked the result very much. However, the NVIDIA control panel sucks because it seems to forget the custom resolution every time I switch back to 1920x1080.

Basically, being able to upscale at n*IR than downsample at 1/n would be awesome. I use that when I emulate the N64 with ParaLLEl RDP plugin. On Dolphin, the test I ran with Twilight Princess really made the visuals more tolerable. (Pure upscaling magnify the visual oddities of the original game and native resolution is too blurry.)

Further reading: https://www.libretro.com/index.php/paral...ally-here/

I'm looking into a downsampling feature. Not going to promise anything but it's something I'm playing around with. The intention isn't necessarily to handle your specific use case but I imagine it would be possible.
About the downsampling... I'm trying SSAA right now, but it's very blurry.

I think I read somewhere that SSAA included MSAA too and that there was a way to disable it while keeping SSAA. Is this a thing, or am I inventing stuff?
Don't mind my previous comment. I think I'm wrong.

Here are two screenshots. The first one is native internal resolution with 2XSSAA. It's blurry as hell. The second one is a screenshot (resampled to 1080px) taken while my GPU was outputting at 848x480 and with my forcing a 2xIR. The result on the second picture is a much clearer image, but better than native IR.
[attachment=19134]
[attachment=19133]

Here's a third one: native IR at same 848x480 resolution:
[attachment=19135]

Adamsz

Can someone make it possible to use Direct3D 12 (D3D12on7) on Windows 7.