Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Feature Request Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(12-24-2020, 10:44 PM)Map Wrote: [ -> ]It would be really nice to see if you guys could support xDelta patches. Having to duplicate whole games just to use patches that are maybe less than a megabyte in size is incredibly inefficient. I hope it's not a complicated thing to impliment.

A number of creators don't use xDelta patches because they only work if the user has the exact same file structure as the creator. I'd rather see the team implement a full-fledged mod system (to match Citra, Yuzu, Cemu, etc). Though I'm sure that'd be much more complicated.
(12-25-2020, 04:18 AM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]A number of creators don't use xDelta patches because they only work if the user has the exact same file structure as the creator.  I'd rather see the team implement a full-fledged mod system (to match Citra, Yuzu, Cemu, etc).  Though I'm sure that'd be much more complicated.

This!

I love to apply applying patches on top of patches at times, so I usually use an ignore checksum for that. But generally I try to ensure each patch just covers a minor component of the whole game. In other cases I just manually (read: automated tools) overwrite the bytes to get the changes I want. That's how you can mix and patch the patches you want included.

For a full-fledged mod system you likely need a file list for game titles. Sadly, this isn't much of a thing for N64 and earlier titles, unless we get to completely reverse-engineer and decompile them. That's exactly why modding PC games is so easy and approachable.

The easiest way to likely provide patches for GC or Wii VC titles is to extract the discs and apply the changes on the files themselves. That, or a tool extracts the discs, overwrites the files it needs, and then repacks the disc again. That's also how you usually patch a WAD for the Virtual Console (unpack WAD, unpack app file, patch rom, repack app file, repack WAD, done).
(12-25-2020, 04:18 AM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]A number of creators don't use xDelta patches because they only work if the user has the exact same file structure as the creator.  I'd rather see the team implement a full-fledged mod system (to match Citra, Yuzu, Cemu, etc).  Though I'm sure that'd be much more complicated.

The bulk of xDelta patches would require you to use a common version of a game, which will always have the same file structure anyway. I say xDelta because it seems like a simpler alternative by just having the program read from whatever addresses it modifies when appropriate. Yeah, you could only load one at a time, but that's a far better option than duplicating whole games to fit those patches. It would be nice to see at least a file replacement system for more extensive modding so we could have more than one mod.
It'd be really sweet if we could select from which DSU device the motion for a Nunchuck comes from.

I'm one of the developers for joycond-cemuhook on Linux and we assign "Combined" Left and Right Joycons as 2 devices, each one registering one of the controllers' motion. On Dolphin we can assign Wiimote motion simply by clicking the dropdown and selecting the DSU device, but it's not as easy to set up motion for a Nunchuck.
(01-08-2021, 12:17 AM)joao_shino Wrote: [ -> ]It'd be really sweet if we could select from which DSU device the motion for a Nunchuck comes from.

I'm one of the developers for joycond-cemuhook on Linux and we assign "Combined" Left and Right Joycons as 2 devices, each one registering one of the controllers' motion. On Dolphin we can assign Wiimote motion simply by clicking the dropdown and selecting the DSU device, but it's not as easy to set up motion for a Nunchuck.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, that should already be possible.

Just right click on the particular key in the "Extension Motion Input" tab and choose your first device. Then click on the input you want and click "Select". Then do the same for the 2nd Nunchuck motion but choose a different DSU device after right clicking.
Here's one that's useful - adaptive culling for Free Look. A toggle-able option that increases the screen culling range so that you don't see missing geometry when using Free Look. Several games I play look 100x better with a higher FOV, but there's missing geometry everywhere.
(01-10-2021, 09:08 PM)RealReloadCoded Wrote: [ -> ]Here's one that's useful - adaptive culling for Free Look.  A toggle-able option that increases the screen culling range so that you don't see missing geometry when using Free Look.  Several games I play look 100x better with a higher FOV, but there's missing geometry everywhere.

This can't be done without game-specific hacks.
But Disable Fog and Free Look can?
(01-11-2021, 01:15 AM)RealReloadCoded Wrote: [ -> ]But Disable Fog and Free Look can?

Yes.
Every GameCube game uses their own fog rendering and camera logic, yet two options can control both of those in every game. Why are can those two things get global toggles but not culling?