Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Feature Request Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If its possible HDR implementation
(07-19-2020, 06:44 AM)domjam Wrote: [ -> ]If its possible HDR implementation

Not possible, you cannot add information to games that don't already have it.
The automatic disc swop for gamecube games which nintendont implemented.
https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/sear...isc+change
(07-19-2020, 07:10 PM)PapermanZero Wrote: [ -> ]The automatic disc swop for gamecube games which nintendont implemented.
https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont/sear...isc+change

Dolphin already has automatic disc swapping.
(07-19-2020, 06:44 AM)domjam Wrote: [ -> ]If its possible HDR implementation

Like @ExtremeDude2 said, it's not possible to add information that doesn't exist.

I am interested in looking into doing a pseudo HDR like this reddit post but I don't currently own a HDR monitor to test.
(07-20-2020, 01:56 AM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]Like @ExtremeDude2 said, it's not possible to add information that doesn't exist.

I am interested in looking into doing a pseudo HDR like this reddit post but I don't currently own a HDR monitor to test.

There is a software called Special K which works with non HDR games where you can effectively get HDR to work. I was curious if it was possible to do something similar with dolphin.
(07-19-2020, 07:41 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Not possible, you cannot add information to games that don't already have it.

I would like to confirm that I have got HDR working using special K.  I used BT709 as input and CIEXYZ as output though it also works well with BT709 as both outputs. HDR peek brightness i set to what my display is  and Gamma to 1.8. So HDR is made possible with this tool.
it also works with reshade as well but there are slight graphic issues with it and it sometimes crashes but once you load a game it works as dolphin would normally work.
I can't speak to reshade but I looked at Special K and I didn't see it doing anything "magical".  Just like what I linked to, it's telling the graphics card the app is HDR compatible and setting the various modes provided by the API.  I'm no expert in this space but this doesn't magically make the game "HDR".  The game itself has to be designed with that color range that in mind.

It's also vendor specific, so I don't know how likely the other devs would want to merge in that specific code (for instance, I have an AMD card which can't use the Nvidia calls obviously) and that's one reason I hadn't ever done more than think about this.  EDIT: This actually doesn't seem to be the case.  I'm not sure offhand what SpecialK is using the nvidia API for.  At least Vulkan/D3D seem to offer support for HDR.  Maybe he developed this before that was the case..
(07-21-2020, 10:59 AM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]I can't speak to reshade but I looked at Special K and I didn't see it doing anything "magical".  Just like what I linked to, it's telling the graphics card the app is HDR compatible and setting the various modes provided by the API.  I'm no expert in this space but this doesn't magically make the game "HDR".  The game itself has to be designed with that color range that in mind.

It's also vendor specific, so I don't know how likely the other devs would want to merge in that specific code (for instance, I have an AMD card which can't use the Nvidia calls obviously) and that's one reason I hadn't ever done more than think about this.  EDIT: This actually doesn't seem to be the case.  I'm not sure offhand what SpecialK is using the nvidia API for.  At least Vulkan/D3D seem to offer support for HDR.  Maybe he developed this before that was the case..

I have no idea how it works. but it works. My display is a Sony Bravia xe93 and when i run dolphin and check HDR mode on my tv its set to auto which by default is hdr10 beacuse windows 10 HDR is turned on and its in borderless fullscreen and the tv detects an HDR10 signal, so I can see its outputing in HDR10. No idea how. point is it works. and it can implement HDR into games that don't support it. and it even makes HDR look better then the games that have HDR options. and it works with dolphin and reshade. but its less buggy without Reshade. If you have an HDR display..Go and test it and see for yourself the outcome it produces when running a dolphin game. PS i tried that program you linked before trying special K, followed the instructions and it did not work. HDR is turned off.