Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Translation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dolphin Translation Guide

Creating a new translation

1. Get the latest dolphin-emu.pot at the end of this post
2. Install and open POEdit
3. Go to File -> New Catalog from POT file...
4. Open the dolphin-emu.pot file downloaded from step 1
5. Use the pull-down to change the language. Press OK
6. Save the file as your language's two letter language code .po (E.g: de.po)
7. Start translating by clicking the Original string and typing the translation in the lower text box
8. Repeat for all Original strings
9. Click File -> Save
10. Put the .po file of your translation inside a Zip and submit it here

Updating an existing translation

1. Download latest dolphin-emu.pot at the end of this post
2. Download the old .po file from this post and open it in Poedit
3. Menu > Catalog > Update from POT file
4. Accept
5. New strings will be added. Updated Strings will be marked "fuzzy translation" (orange). Make sure to look if you need to update those and then unmark them
6. Save

If your language is here but it is outdated, feel free to download the current file from the links and update it by following the guide above. I will add your name to the credits, but if the original translator updates his translation he will have priority. If you are looking for small tasks, there is the 'Almost Up-to-date' translations in the list below, which are only one version behind the latest.

When updating an existing translation you have made, please start with the file that is already here. Do not start with the file that you have stored in your computer.

Translation Notes

- If a string contains formatting (there will be a comment above it that says "c-format") make sure that the translated string has the same formatting in the same order. If not the program may segmentation fault when the translation of that string occurs. For example:

Code:
#: Source/Core/DolphinWX/Src/FrameTools.cpp:333
#, c-format

msgid "Connect Wiimote %i\t"
msgstr "Verbinden Wiimote %i\t"

Also, like shown above, try to keep spacing and escape sequences (like the "\t" above) the same in the translation.

- If there is an ampersand "&" in the string it would be nice to put an ampersand in the translation. Those are usually menu accelerators. For example:

Code:
#: Source/Core/DolphinWX/Src/FrameTools.cpp:181

msgid "Co&nfigure..."
msgstr "Kon&figurieren"

This changes the keyboard shortcut "Alt-n" to "Alt-f" for the translated program. In general you should probably try to use the same letter if possible.
So the example above is not the best way to do it. It should be "Ko&nfigurieren" to keep the menu accelerator the same.

- Always post the revision number of the POT file you used. The latest POT file along with its version number is kept at the end of this post.

About Version numbers:

We had three numbering systems for Dolphin Translations so far. Those are: The four digit revision numbering (r7067), which is the oldest one and was interrupted in r7276;
The two digit revision numbering (E.g. r60), which came after the four digit one, and its use was ended after r60;
And the GIT revision-like numbering (E.g 3.0-456) which is the one we use currently. The first number (E.g. 3.0) corresponds to Dolphin's actual major release, while the latter one is a revision count started from zero after that release;

Website Translation

You can also translate Dolphin's Official website! Please be extra careful when doing it and try to have everything proof-read by another native speaker if possible: this will be a lot more visible than the emulator GUI translations (it's directly on the web and people will find it before the english version of the website).
The .po file for translation can be downloaded here.

If you want a new translation to be added to the site, please provide:

- The complete .po file with the translated strings
- The name of your language, both in english and in that language (so for example, give me both "French" and "Français", or "German" and "Deutsch")
- The two letters to use for the subdomain .dolphin-emu.org. For french, it's "fr", for german, "de", etc.
- When translating the website, be careful NOT to translate any of the HTML tags or javascript/server-side script references, for example:

Code:
<strong>Warning!</strong> Development versions are released every time a\n
Here, you must not translate the word "example", since it is a tag

Code:
Download %(last_release)s now for Windows, Mac and Linux »
Here, you must not translate "last_release" since it is a reference

Submitting Your Translation

You can submit your translation in this thread in the form of a forum attachment and an additional link to your file will be added to the list below.
When you do so, please be aware of the following:

- Automated and Babel-fish translations are NOT accepted.
- When you submit your translation here please state if you're posting a translation of the Dolphin program or the website.
- If your translation isn't complete when you post it, please inform the percentage regarding its completion. This number can be found at the bottom of POEdit's window.
- Translators must have common sense.

Happy Translating!

Translations:

[color=#006400]Up-to-date Translations[/color]
(Latest POT file version)

Portuguese (Brazilian) Translation thanks to Runo, Thiagorowof and coffeeholic - [color=#0000CD]3.5-287[/color]

Spanish Translation thanks to Dario ff, Valtiel, Petiso Carambanal and Puniasterus - [color=#0000CD]3.5-287[/color]

French Translation thanks to Pascal - [color=#0000CD]3.5-287[/color]

Korean Translation thanks to Siegfried - [color=#0000CD]3.5-287[/color]

Arabic Translation thanks to mansoor - [color=#0000CD]3.5-287[/color]

Japanese Translation thanks to DanbSky - [color=#0000CD]3.5-287[/color] - [color=#FF0000]97%[/color]

Czech Translation thanks to Tsbook - [color=#0000CD]3.5-287[/color]

Catalan Translation thanks to jordicoma, roig and Puniasterus - [color=#0000CD]3.5-287[/color]

Polish Translation thanks to Baszta - [color=#0000CD]3.5-287[/color]

[color=#DAA520]Almost up-to-date Translations[/color]
(The POT file is one version behind the current)

Persian Translation thanks to Delayline - [color=#0000CD]3.0-879[/color] (Old Farsi Translation)

[color=#FF0000]Outdated/Incomplete Translations[/color]
(Old POT files)

Turkish Translation thanks to nlgzrgn - [color=#0000CD]3.0-688[/color]

Traditional Chinese Translation thanks to khiav - [color=#0000CD]3.0-688[/color]

Finish Translation thanks to gskartwii - [color=#0000CD]3.0-688[/color]

Simplified Chinese Translation thanks to thegfw and shinyoyo - [color=#0000CD]3.0-688[/color]

Italian Translation thanks to RebuMan, gnick7, vecna and Jack - [color=#0000CD]3.0-688[/color]

Hungarian Translation thanks to Delirious - [color=#0000CD]3.0-456[/color]

German Translation thanks to JackyCola, LucasX and Anti-Ultimate - [color=#0000CD]3.0-456[/color] - [color=#FF0000]93%[/color]

Dutch Translation thanks to MADCreations, Goost and Ralph85 - [color=#0000CD]3.0-456[/color]

Greek Translation thanks to Link_to_the_past and gpower2 - [color=#0000CD]3.0-159[/color]

Portuguese (Portugal) Translation thanks to Zilaan - [color=#0000CD]r54[/color]

Norwegian Translation thanks to KHRZ and Chriztr - [color=#0000CD]r43[/color]

Russian Translation thanks to Kein and Firnis - [color=#0000CD]r7067[/color] - [color=#FF0000]75%[/color]

Hindi Translation thanks to shawnanastasio - [color=#0000CD]r7067[/color] - [color=#FF0000]1%[/color]

Serbian Translation thanks to nikolassj - [color=#0000CD]r7276[/color] - [color=#FF0000]27%[/color]

Note: The percentages regarding each translation's completion correspond to the POT file of the revision number they are at.
These numbers *will* be different when the POT file in those translations is updated.

Current POT file version: 3.5-287
[attachment=8706]
Those guides are pretty good, it answered many of the questions I had about how to actually use poedit and get started. If theres any great difference from these guides can any dev chime in here and point them out for us laymen? A basic how-to from glennricster would also be nice.

I already volunteered to start work on the Brazilian Portuguese translation on the svn comments (I'm danteprojetos) and I think thiagorowof also wants to (post here so i can pm you).

You could list the people interested on each language on the first post so they can collaborate with each other.

Thiagorowof

(01-06-2011, 01:23 PM)coffeeholic Wrote: [ -> ]Those guides are pretty good, it answered many of the questions I had about how to actually use poedit and get started. If theres any great difference from these guides can any dev chime in here and point them out for us laymen? A basic how-to from glennricster would also be nice.

I already volunteered to start work on the Brazilian Portuguese translation on the svn comments (I'm danteprojetos) and I think thiagorowof also wants to (post here so i can pm you).

You could list the people interested on each language on the first post so they can collaborate with each other.

me here, mp me?
ps: br pra tu auhua, não manjo muito mais acho que posso ajudar sim vamo nessa traduzir o/
Yep, download the latest po file from here:

http://dolphin-emu.googlecode.com/svn/tr...ages/en.po

Open en.po in POEdit
In File -> Preferences -> Editor, make sure that "Automatically compile .mo file on save" is ticked
Go to Catalog -> Settings
Use the pull-down to change the language
Start translating by clicking the Original string and type the translation in the lower text box.
Repeat for all Original strings
Click File -> Save As... and save it as your language's two letter language code.po.
Attach the .po and .mo files into this thread (zipped up).
Like this?
Yes, to test it out, create a "de" directory under Languages. Rename de.mo to "dolphin-emu.mo" and put the file in the "de" directory. Select German from the config dialog and restart Dolphin.
Ok. Checking. Brb.

Edit: found some mistakes. fixing.

Edit2: Updated. But looks like the Translations for the GFX Plugins do not work.

[color=#800000]Edit3:[/color] Updated again. Now that I tested it with dolphin i fixed some minor mistakes.
Hello,
I will create a patch for plugin strings.
A couple of things to note when translating:

If a string contains formatting (there will be a comment above it that says "c-format") make sure that the translated string has the same formatting in the same order. If not the program may segmentation fault when the translation of that string occurs. For example:

#: Source/Core/DolphinWX/Src/FrameTools.cpp:333
#, c-format
msgid "Connect Wiimote %i\t"
msgstr "Verbinden Wiimote %i\t"

Also try to keep spacing and escape sequences (like the "\t" above) the same in the translation.

Finally, if there is an ampersand "&" in the string it would be nice to put an ampersand in the translation. Those are usually menu accelerators. For example:

#: Source/Core/DolphinWX/Src/FrameTools.cpp:181
msgid "Co&nfigure..."
msgstr "Kon&figurieren"

This changes the keyboard shortcut "Alt-n" to "Alt-f" for the translated program. In general you should probably try to use the same letter if possible. So the example above is not the best way to do it. It should be "Ko&nfigurieren" to keep the menu accelerator the same.

My latest commit removed most (if not all) of those extra escape sequences, since they usually stay the same, regardless of language.

Note that accelerators (the ampersand "&") do not describe the hotkey that may or may not be written afterwards, like "Alt+F4" for Exit; they describe quick-access keys for keyboard navigation ("&File" > "E&xit" = Alt+F, Alt+X).