Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Wii] Xenoblade [NTSC-J]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(04-07-2012, 01:17 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]If it says 25FPS, and 100% speed, and is the PAL version, is there a problem?

No. You're right. He won't get more than 30
Actually, on the subject of pal being 50FPS, all my pal games run at 60. Do I need to manually put in a framelimit, or am I doing it wrong?

BTW post 500!
Why would you wanna systematically put a framelimit?

Vainglorious

Without the patch it's fine — it runs fine either way, but Dolphin still tells me I'm only getting 25 FPS | 50 VPS even after applying the patch (I backed up the non-patched version, so it's easy to check).

I also checked both the unpatched and patched ISOs in my hex editor, and the unpatched version still has SX4P01, while the patched version has SX4J01. So the patch should have worked properly, since changing that hexadecimal value was the only alteration.

UPDATE: After I wrote the above, I tried running it in the new build you linked me to one more time before posting... and it ran at 30 FPS | 60 VPS. Loaded it again, still running at 30 FPS | 60 VPS. I have absolutely no idea what fixed it for me. It's running at 100% speed nearly constantly, during combat (intro scene), even with dozens of Chrome tabs open.

Thanks a bunch, DefenderX, though I'm not sure where I missed a step or what worked, heh. Anyway, here are my settings (for the new build you linked me) since I took the time to screen shot them, maybe you'll spot a serious problem that would come back to bite me later on:

[Image: 2w4Xs.png]
sorry, my fault. Xenoblade is special game, where the maximum framelimit is at 30. (LordVador said that before)

So everything is fine and there is nothing wrong.

btw: 700 posts!

Quote:Xenoblade is special game, where the maximum framelimit is at 30
No it's not. Many Wii games run at 25(PAL) or 30(NTSC) FPS. Xenoblade is no special case.

Quote:Anyway, here are my settings (for the new build you linked me) since I took the time to screen shot them, maybe you'll spot a serious problem that would come back to bite me later on
Those settings look fine. I see you're using the DX11 plugin. In most cases DX9 is faster, so try them both out and see which works better for you. You can also play with the OpenMP Texture Decoder option. It might help with the occasional stutters you get when you use skills.

Finally, right-click the game in the browser -> Properties. Make sure there's a tick next to Accurate VBEAM Emulation (this'll gain you a lot of performance).

tip: you can hold down tab to 'unlimit' your fps temporarily. (so you can see how much overhead you have)

Vainglorious

(04-07-2012, 02:04 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Those settings look fine. I see you're using the DX11 plugin. In most cases DX9 is faster, so try them both out and see which works better for you. You can also play with the OpenMP Texture Decoder option. It might help with the occasional stutters you get when you use skills.

Thanks — I'll try out both intermittently and see how they do. DX11 seems fine so far, but if I don't notice a difference, I'll probably switch to DX9 just in case I get some minuscule boost.

(04-07-2012, 02:04 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Finally, right-click the game in the browser -> Properties. Make sure there's a tick next to Accurate VBEAM Emulation (this'll gain you a lot of performance).

Ah, I see. I'd just been pressing "Open" and running the game that way. I just started using Dolphin and getting it configured recently. I was discussing Xenoblade Chronicles on a forum, and people kept saying, "I hope you're playing it on an emulator."

I got a new gaming rig last year (specs are in my profile), and it seems Wii emulation has come a long way in the last year or two. I had no idea that Dolphin not only works quite well, but can handle 4x resolution, AF, and even AA (and without any component video cable loss, of course). Outstanding, and I even get to use my PS3 controller for games best played with Classic Controller.
You can also check "Lock Threads to Cores".

This locks the threads to the cores therewith the threads don't jump from one core to the next and so on. This can help you gaining some extra speed.
Quote:Thanks — I'll try out both intermittently and see how they do. DX11 seems fine so far, but if I don't notice a difference, I'll probably switch to DX9 just in case I get some minuscule boost.
Save somewhere, use the DX11 back-end and get ingame. Now load your game ofcourse, then hold down TAB. See what the max fps is you achieve. Now repeat with DX9, compare the values and see what works best for you.

Quote:Ah, I see. I'd just been pressing "Open" and running the game that way. I just started using Dolphin and getting it configured recently. I was discussing Xenoblade Chronicles on a forum, and people kept saying, "I hope you're playing it on an emulator."
Heh, this is definitely one of the games you should play via Dolphin, as it is fully supported by Dolphin. The only downside is the occassional audio issues you might run into at times.
(Those with faster CPU's like you and me do not run into these issues frequently, but it might still present itself)

Quote:I got a new gaming rig last year (specs are in my profile), and it seems Wii emulation has come a long way in the last year or two. I had no idea that Dolphin not only works quite well, but can handle 4x resolution, AF, and even AA (and without any component video cable loss, of course). Outstanding, and I even get to use my PS3 controller for games best played with Classic Controller.
You have an excellent rig which should run games really well. I also noticed you have a 580. You should definitely raise your IR up to x4. If you OC to 4.5GHz, you'd be able to play the more intensive games more or less at fullspeed (Mario Galaxy franchise).

I used to use my PS3 controller aswell for my first full playthrough on Xenoblade. But I recently invested in a Bluetooth Dongle and paired my Wiimote to it, which makes it feel more native. And I can also use it for Skyward Sword. Tongue

Enjoy Xenoblade, it's probably the best RPG (together with The Last Story ofcourse) that has been released in so long IMO.
So the US version (SX4E01) seems to be exactly the same as the PAL version. Therefore, it is compatible with saves from SX4P01. The only difference is that it runs at 30fps instead of 25fps. It might be an illusion, but the US version appears to run slightly faster and smoother, though I haven't done any real tests to confirm this.