Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Please develop this, edit: "unplayable, never to be played again" GC release title.
This game causes V2012 to crash using OpenGL.
Stop spamming up threads with the same thing over and over again.
to be fair it has been several years and not much has been done with either RS2 & RS3.

the intro logos still run very slowly

the menus are messed up

the music cuts out random and turns into an ear splitting whine

the depth issue still exists & the zfreeze branch hasn't been updated for months

rs3 still only shows the first screen

not a lot going on on google code under issues.

the only bit that runs 99-100% perfectly is the ship selection part of the game of RS2.

we are on 4.0.2 and it still runs the same as it did back before 3.0, will probably get flamed for this reply or banned, i'm just saddened these two games have never got far. I understand as it's been stated many times these two are difficult to emulate, someone did explain what was wrong and how to fix it on google code issues, yet to this day, no one has took the time to implement anything

hell i'd just like to see the lucasarts logo running full speed on booting the game, that would be something.
They're very difficult to emulate, and no one has figured out what's wrong. There were efforts to make the game run faster via the MMU emulation, but it's doing some pretty crazy stuff. There were also efforts (from two different devs) to fix zfreeze. If you think you can find someone who can help or make it happen, then go ahead?

I don't know what you expect.

Deihnyx

The game is actually kinda "playable" with the zfreeze branch. I remember some specific steps to follow to make it work and I was able to play till the 3rd mission (Hoth) without much troubles (Hoth was slow though...)
I guess this is what we don't really understand, the game is difficult to emulate, right, but if a branch has been able to make it work once, what makes it impossible to fix now?
You have to understand that the branch didn't fix it. What it did was make a specific set of conditions to cover up the issues in the game. It doesn't fix the fact that the MMU doesn't seem to emulate right (pausing in any mission seems to crash the game) and you break a ton of other stuff by using the zfreeze branch. The goal is to make zfreeze work like console, not make it some hacky option that works for a couple games and then you disable it for the rest.

The MMU is a bigger problem; as it causes a lot of the crashes and slowdowns in the game. zfreeze can be fixed with time, but I'm not sure if anyone will tackle the MMU issues.

asd546

Hi all!
I've managed to complete the game yesterday. It was an interesting experience, since I was a big fan of Rogue Squadron 3D back in the day (man, I feel old), but I didn't own a gc at the time, so I couldn't play any of the sequels.
It took quite a bit of effort to get it to work, but the experience was worth it. The biggest issue was the audio jittering caused by fps drops. The crashes only happen in specific situations (using the targeting computer and pausing the game) and can be easily avoided.

Here are the steps to get it working:
1. get the zfreeze branch: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/zfreeze/1/
2. go to config->audio, set the DSP Emulator Engine to DSP LLE Recompiler (it fixes the music going bad problem)
3. go to graphics, set backend to Direct3D11. In "Hacks" tab disable fast depth calculation.
4. go to gcpad, remap button Y to something you won't accidentally press. Do the same for "start"
5. start the game. If the screen jitters, toggle fullscreen to fix it (press alt+enter two times)
6. fly a mission. If you can see things that are far away, you are done. Otherwise do the following:
7. save a state while in-flight (you can use shift+F1), stop the emulation
8. go to graphics, change backend to opengl
9. restart the game, load the state by pressing F1. The problem will not be fixed.
10. stop the emulation, go to graphics, change backend back to Direct3D11.
11. start the game and press F1. The problem should be fixed now.

The emulator crashes if you activate the targeting computer. It's not a big problem, but in one mission you are supposed to use it to find a weak spot on a target. In that scenario, I recommend the following procedure:
1. save a state, stop the emulation
2. go to graphics->hacks, set EFB copies to RAM. (it will allow the targeting computer to kind-of work)
3. restart the emulation, load state. press the targeting computer button and keep it down. Look at the target until you see the weak spot. Remember its position and shape.
4. let go of the targeting computer button, the emulator will crash.
5. Restart dolphin, you can go to graphics settings and switch the EFB copies back to texture.
6. restart the game, load state. You will now know where to aim.

The targeting computer crash is interesting because it varies from mission to mission (and possibly from craft to craft?) In some missions you can use the computer freely without any crashes (Prisons of Maw space part) while on others it will crash either in the exact moment the targeting overlay appears on screen (Death Star Attack) or when you let go of the button (Vengeance on Kothis)

The fps drop is strictly related to the number of things present on the screen. In space missions (without the terrain) fps count is even twice as high as in the other missions. If a terrain is present, you can pitch straight up to get the ground out of the view and gain a momentary speed-up (which is useful when trying to understand the dialogue)

As for the game itself, perhaps my expectations for the sequel were too high after enjoying the previous game so much. Rogue Leader felt a bit shorter and less content-rich than the other game. Also, some levels are very similar to the ones from Rogue Squadron. Namely: the prison train mission, raid on bespin, and disabling the sensors before an attack. Especially the bespin mission feels like copy-pasted with minor alterations and a different goal. On the other hand, the improved technology has really let the game shine brighter. The ships look better, the effects are nicer, and people are finally not flat anymore. The levels are bigger, have more action, and there is a lot happening on the map at any given moment. I especially liked the wingman commands, even though in "form up" mode they are not really useful, other than as decoys for the AI to shoot at. The AI itself flies better, but shoots much less accurately. It's a welcome change tough, since the enemies come in such great numbers that if they fired accurately, the game would be impossible to play. The camera that moves back to show the fighter sitting on your tail is a very nice addition, even though it makes aiming a little difficult. All in all, it's a good game, and definitely worth the effort of getting the emulator to work with it. I know it is unfair to judge a game based on a half-working emulated experience, but the fact that I still enjoyed playing it speaks for itself.
good post, will give it a try. still looking for a super cheap wii replacement.
Thank you, as546 for those instructions. I tried them yesterday and the Death Star level is working much better than it ever had! I have a pretty powerful rig, and the sound & video would stutter as soon as I blew up a tower (about 5 seconds in) -- then go back to normal. It seems the "explosion" sound effect was to blame. This happened even at native resolution. asd546, I'm curious if you encountered this too?

Does anyone have an idea of why this might be? And what could be done via settings/config to fix it?