Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=18829][attachment=18830][attachment=18831][attachment=18832]

So here are the settings I have for Graphics. One thing I noticed is that under the Hacks tab "Store EFB Copies to Texture Only" unchecks itself once I start the game. When I reselect it I do notice a difference in performance. Like when I'm in the stage select screen or selecting which ship I want to use it runs at 60 FPS and the VPS is 60-100%, but only under the Native resolution. Once I select a stage (I use Hoth as that seems to be one of the more intensive stages) the performance dips to roughly 40 FPS and 50-80% VPS. The game is playable but the sound stutters and people talking sound like they're drunk. Basically everything slows down just a little bit during cutscenes, mostly. For sound I do remember to select DSP LLE Recompiler. I read that DSP HLE causes issues.

If anything stands out in those settings please let me know!
Note that RS2 is insanely demanding to emulate and that not every PC will be able to deal with it. If none of the troubleshooting steps help improve the situation there´s not much you can do about it.
The reason 'Store EFB Copies to Texture Only' unchecks itself is because it's set as a default in the global .ini file for this game. Are you saying that with the setting turned off the game runs slow, or that when you re-check the option, it runs slow?

I don't think you need LLE anymore for this game. Switch back to HLE.

Set your Ubershaders to Asynchronous (Ubershaders)
(05-10-2020, 07:40 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Disable GPU Texture Decoding. Also, don´t pause if you don´t really have to. It is stated in this wiki page that both can make this game hang regularly.

i did again play, no pause, disabled GPU texture Decoding, i just use one botton for shooting only
first level, smooth, completed the first quest which is blowing towers then cutscene, after that killing some Tie Fighters which is smooth then finished the quest
just before the upcoming scene gives me crash with beeeeeeeeeeeep sound, like black screen forever. what to do?
(05-13-2020, 03:13 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]The reason 'Store EFB Copies to Texture Only' unchecks itself is because it's set as a default in the global .ini file for this game. Are you saying that with the setting turned off the game runs slow, or that when you re-check the option, it runs slow?

I don't think you need LLE anymore for this game. Switch back to HLE.

Set your Ubershaders to Asynchronous (Ubershaders)

When 'Store EFB Copies to Texture Only' is off the game runs slower. Turning it back on helps the game run a little better. I just have to remember to check it again once I start the game.

I went ahead and switched back to HLE and set the Ubershaders to Asynchronous (Ubershaders). This is probably the best it's going to get. As DJBarry004 pointed out the game is very demanding and not all computers can handle it. I'll just consider myself lucky that the game is mostly playable. I'll just have to deal with the occasional sluggishness and drunk sounding Rogue Squad members, lol.

Thanks for the help!
(05-13-2020, 09:04 AM)kaicooper Wrote: [ -> ]i did again play, no pause, disabled GPU texture Decoding, i just use one botton for shooting only
first level, smooth, completed the first quest which is blowing towers then cutscene, after that killing some Tie Fighters which is smooth then finished the quest
just before the upcoming scene gives me crash with beeeeeeeeeeeep sound, like black screen forever. what to do?

Did you verify you have a good dump of the game?

(05-13-2020, 11:53 AM)The7PercentSolution Wrote: [ -> ]When 'Store EFB Copies to Texture Only' is off the game runs slower. Turning it back on helps the game run a little better. I just have to remember to check it again once I start the game.

I went ahead and switched back to HLE and set the Ubershaders to Asynchronous (Ubershaders). This is probably the best it's going to get. As DJBarry004 pointed out the game is very demanding and not all computers can handle it. I'll just consider myself lucky that the game is mostly playable. I'll just have to deal with the occasional sluggishness and drunk sounding Rogue Squad members, lol.

Thanks for the help!

I can't recommend that you keep doing that, but I don't know/can't remember why Dolphin needs that set for this game. Use at your own risk as the game may crash or you may get graphical issues.

You could always try installing Windows 10 with Bootcamp to see if that helps. Windows usually plays games better than macOS due to better driver support. Or it might not and you waste an afternoon.
(05-13-2020, 03:05 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Did you verify you have a good dump of the game?

yep, tried verify and its Good Dump
alright guys
turn out the issue is Gecko Widescreen
i turned it off after spending hours trying to fix the issue

is there anyway to play it with Gecko Widescreen? without crash

maretex

Hey guys, I am terribly sorry if this is was already answered. Tried searching and all, but 166 pages are 166 pages...
My PC is fairly good (I think?) and the game runs quite smooth (60 FPS no less). The main issue are the annoying stutters on very specific occasions, like changing to cockpit and beginning/end of a cutscene (the fade in, fade out of the cutscene drops the fps to 15, 10. weird!).
Left the graphics as the Wiki told me to, but no change.
HD texture pack or not, the same thing. Native or 1080p, nothing.
Tried checking or unchecking a few graphic box, but nothing as well.

Anyone?
function googleTrButton6167306339380705() { var el = new google.translate.TranslateElement({ pageLanguage: "auto", includedLanguages: "pt", layout: google.translate.TranslateElement.InlineLayout.HORIZONTAL, autoDisplay: false, multilanguagePage: true, floatPosition: 0 }); el.showBanner(false); var data = {action: "goog-loaded", lang: "pt"}; window.postMessage(data, "*"); }
[Image: translate_24dp.png]
Original text

Contribute a better translation

wiki Wrote:Shader Compilation Stuttering
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader is one of the most susceptible titles to shader compilation stuttering. The GC and Wii have no concept of shaders - everything is executed directly by the hardware without an intermediate programming language (API). Modern computers and mobile systems do not work in this way, requiring the use of shaders as an intermediary so your system's GPU can perform the tasks that the GC and Wii GPU performed directly. Shaders have to be generated though, and since GC/Wii games are not designed to create shaders ahead of time as a PC game would, when a new effect appears Dolphin has to delay the CPU thread while the GPU thread performs the compilation; a pause that does not exist on the consoles. For most games shader generation takes only a few milliseconds, but for a few demanding titles, the shaders that they generate are so large that they can result in noticeable stuttering, in severe cases pauses of over a second may occur.

Since 5.0-4869, this problem can be solved by enabling ubershaders. Changing GPU, updating GPU drivers, or updating Dolphin may invalidate the shader cache, requiring specialized shaders to be compiled again. Since 5.0-6461, Dolphin caches shader pipeline UIDs independently of the video backend and compiles them on game start. This allows cached shaders to work across different video backends, platforms, hardware configurations and even Dolphin versions as long as changes aren't made to Dolphin's actual shader pipeline. These shaders are compiled in the background when the game starts, which may cause stuttering for a short period. Enable Compile Shaders Before Starting to avoid this.