Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
EFB2RAM is required for a number of effects and the targeting computer, but the game will work without that (and faster).

Skip EFB Access From CPU seems to make it faster, but others might have done more testing.

The faster the texture cache setting, the slower the targeting computer will update. Medium seems to work mostly okay, Safe of course works perfectly.

HLE audio works fully in RS3, but in RS2 it seems to cause crashes in some specific places, like the start of FMVs (like at the end of the trench run). Nobody knows why yet.

Fast Depth off is required for zfreeze to work.

Virtual XFB is required; some scene transition effects and such will be glitched without Real XFB, but the game otherwise works fine without it.

Underclocking doesn't seem to cause any issues; it's a great way to get a whole bunch of VFPS if your computer isn't fast enough, in my experience.
So far so good, using latest HLE fix build w/ Zfreeze fix and disabled fast depth as required.

Runs nearly flawless on my ultra-high end build, minus a bit stuttering right after level load and minor stuttering during intense firing/explosions. Couple minor graphics glitches (targeting computer screen has some dots and chromatic aberration-like effect around edges), but other than that... dream come true. Im certain a couple more builds into this, and it'll be perfect. Kinda neat to see what was once thought impossible to come together so suddenly.

I'm ocing my 5960x to 4.5ghz (stock is 3ghz per core)... should I underclock this cpu for better performance? 8 core/16 thread model... And does SLI causes any emulation performance issues? (2) 980GTX's overclocked in SLI as well...

EDIT: upon firing missles into death star to complete first mission, it crashes immediately with PowerPC error code 1010101 to desktop. Presume this is the HLE fix bug already forementioned in this build.

EDIT: Any reason to enable progressive mode since this game technically supports it? Already running at 4k res (set ingame to auto window).. looks fine, but should progressive be enabled?
(01-10-2015, 04:14 PM)beavermatic Wrote: [ -> ]I'm ocing my 5960x to 4.5ghz (stock is 3ghz per core)... should I underclock this cpu for better performance?
Underclocking your CPU won't help. What Fiora meant is that you can underclock the emulated CPU in Dolphin's settings, so that your CPU will have to do less work to keep up with the emulation. There's not much point in underclocking if you already get good performance, though.
(01-10-2015, 04:14 PM)beavermatic Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: upon firing missles into death star to complete first mission, it crashes immediately with PowerPC error code 1010101 to desktop. Presume this is the HLE fix bug already forementioned in this build.
Yes, that's one of the places where HLE tends to crash.
(01-10-2015, 04:14 PM)beavermatic Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: Any reason to enable progressive mode since this game technically supports it? Already running at 4k res (set ingame to auto window).. looks fine, but should progressive be enabled?
It doesn't matter.
So I followed all the steps mentioned above. I downloaded the latest zfreeze build and ran with the recommended settings. I am pleased to say that for the most part the game works well. I do notice a significant amount of audio choppiness (sound is not very fluid, has many tiny breaks in it, especially when there's a lot going on). However, the actual framerate is very solid. Able to maintain a solid 60 FPS for the most part, just wish the audio was at the same quality level.

Any suggestions or is this what everyone else is experiencing as well?
Skip EFB from CPU does help a little but it gave me some fun lighting errors.
(01-10-2015, 07:51 PM)SaberClash Wrote: [ -> ]So I followed all the steps mentioned above. I downloaded the latest zfreeze build and ran with the recommended settings. I am pleased to say that for the most part the game works well. I do notice a significant amount of audio choppiness (sound is not very fluid, has many tiny breaks in it, especially when there's a lot going on). However, the actual framerate is very solid. Able to maintain a solid 60 FPS for the most part, just wish the audio was at the same quality level.

Any suggestions or is this what everyone else is experiencing as well?

audio choppiness happens when the framerate dips under 50 for me, do you run with fps counter on? 40-50 still feels quite smooth on this game, so might not notice the dip if you're running fullscreen or without the counter.
On my shitty old computer downclocking to 27% (you can do this in real-time, BTW... helps to make out the sweet spot) makes my sound perfect. Unfortunately, it also doesn't let me play @fullspeed but that was to be expected Wink
Texture Cache makes all the difference.... setting it to Safe, the game runs horribly slow in intense areas. Setting it to Fast, the game runs 100fps... smooth as butter constant. doesn't seem to make any visual quality difference between both settings

It also seems enabling custom textures can drag the game down.

Enabling "Skip EFB from CPU" actually slowed me down and caused stuttering.
(01-11-2015, 01:32 AM)beavermatic Wrote: [ -> ]Texture Cache makes all the difference.... setting it to Safe, the game runs horribly slow in intense areas. Setting it to Fast, the game runs 100fps... smooth as butter constant. doesn't seem to make any visual quality difference between both settings

You can try:
[Video_Settings]
SafeTextureCacheColorSamples = 4096
for the targeting computer, it should be a bit faster than safe and work fine.
(01-11-2015, 01:47 AM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2015, 01:32 AM)beavermatic Wrote: [ -> ]Texture Cache makes all the difference.... setting it to Safe, the game runs horribly slow in intense areas. Setting it to Fast, the game runs 100fps... smooth as butter constant. doesn't seem to make any visual quality difference between both settings

You can try:
[Video_Settings]
SafeTextureCacheColorSamples = 4096
for the targeting computer, it should be a bit faster than safe and work fine.

Causes the same frame drops and sluggishness as setting it to full safe.