Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(01-11-2015, 02:28 AM)beavermatic Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2015, 01:47 AM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2015, 01:32 AM)beavermatic Wrote: [ -> ]Texture Cache makes all the difference.... setting it to Safe, the game runs horribly slow in intense areas. Setting it to Fast, the game runs 100fps... smooth as butter constant. doesn't seem to make any visual quality difference between both settings

It also seems enabling custom textures can drag the game down.

Enabling "Skip EFB from CPU" actually slowed me down and caused stuttering.

You can try:
[Video_Settings]
SafeTextureCacheColorSamples = 4096
for the targeting computer, it should be a bit faster than safe and work fine.

Causes the same frame drops and sluggishness as setting it to full safe.
glad i'm not the only one who noticed that, i saw drops down to 18fps compared to 25-28,30-40s on safe.
(01-10-2015, 09:19 PM)slarlac249 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2015, 07:51 PM)SaberClash Wrote: [ -> ]So I followed all the steps mentioned above. I downloaded the latest zfreeze build and ran with the recommended settings. I am pleased to say that for the most part the game works well. I do notice a significant amount of audio choppiness (sound is not very fluid, has many tiny breaks in it, especially when there's a lot going on). However, the actual framerate is very solid. Able to maintain a solid 60 FPS for the most part, just wish the audio was at the same quality level.

Any suggestions or is this what everyone else is experiencing as well?

audio choppiness happens when the framerate dips under 50 for me, do you run with fps counter on? 40-50 still feels quite smooth on this game, so might not notice the dip if you're running fullscreen or without the counter.

I just tried playing in windowed mode rather than full screen and maximized the window. Huge improvement on the audio and overall smoothness of the game. Anyone else experience this?
(01-11-2015, 02:36 AM)slarlac249 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2015, 02:28 AM)beavermatic Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2015, 01:47 AM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2015, 01:32 AM)beavermatic Wrote: [ -> ]Texture Cache makes all the difference.... setting it to Safe, the game runs horribly slow in intense areas. Setting it to Fast, the game runs 100fps... smooth as butter constant. doesn't seem to make any visual quality difference between both settings

It also seems enabling custom textures can drag the game down.

Enabling "Skip EFB from CPU" actually slowed me down and caused stuttering.

You can try:
[Video_Settings]
SafeTextureCacheColorSamples = 4096
for the targeting computer, it should be a bit faster than safe and work fine.

Causes the same frame drops and sluggishness as setting it to full safe.
glad i'm not the only one who noticed that, i saw drops down to 18fps compared to 25-28,30-40s on safe.

It's true, running this game on anything BUT fast mode will cause the game to run like complete crap. I've tried it on a i7 5960x/32GB DDR4/(2x) 980GTX's/Win 8.1 machine, also on a i7 2600k/16GB DDR3/(1x)770GTX/win 8.1 machine, and also on a i7 3770k/32GB DDR3/(2x)780ti's/Win 8.1.... all the same result, all on the most recent updates and NVidia drivers.

Yes, targeting is slightly off in detection in fast mode, but only slightly. Other than that, the game runs smooth as silk, high fps's, only slight jitter during cutscenes and level load.

That safe/fast mode setting either makes or breaks the game as far as framerate goes on every machine I've tested it on here.

I also tried the hi-res texture pack from one of the members here from rogue leader, who supplied both safe/fast images for that custom pack. It does seemingly affect framerate, no matter whether your're using the fast/safe folder, but I'll try to mess around with that a bit more...
If anyone is interested, head over to the HD texture projects on this game. Echoes and myself have started having a field day with the game! Big Grin Here is the link to the in-game custom Endor Death Star I've implemented instead of the original Factor 5 Death Star: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-hd...#pid352635
(01-10-2015, 07:31 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2015, 04:14 PM)beavermatic Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: upon firing missles into death star to complete first mission, it crashes immediately with PowerPC error code 1010101 to desktop. Presume this is the HLE fix bug already forementioned in this build.
Yes, that's one of the places where HLE tends to crash.

How do we get past these specific places in the game where it crashes? If you switch to LLE it won't let you load your same save state. What is everyone else doing to get around this?
You play the mission in LLE.
(01-10-2015, 10:38 AM)SaberClash Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-09-2015, 05:53 AM)Echoes Wrote: [ -> ]The one in this post, I think.

Hey, thanks. Can we get a rundown of the optimal settings to use in that version of dolphin to get this to work at the highest performance?

Here's what im running... and it's working pretty flawlessly with audio/graphics/fps. Also, I run the game in fullscreen, just forgot to check it in the pics. This is with Fiora's pr-1833-dolphin-latest-x64 build, found several pages back on this thread for download. It has both the zfreeze fix and HLE audio corruption fix

[Image: image.png]

Wait, does everyone else play in OpenGL rather than Direct3D? That's the only noticeable change in your settings I saw compared to mine. The game seems to run smoother in OpenGL but looks a lot less impressive after making that switch.
(01-11-2015, 03:42 AM)SaberClash Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, does everyone else play in OpenGL rather than Direct3D? That's the only noticeable change in your settings I saw compared to mine. The game seems to run smoother in OpenGL but looks a lot less impressive after making that switch.

OpenGL is a bit smoother than Direct3D here, but quality difference? I notice no difference in quality between the two?

EDIT: There's no visual quality difference between the two, other than I can notice more colorbanding in D3D. Everything in OpenGL appears cleaner, sharper. Also much lower FPS in direct3D.
(01-11-2015, 03:49 AM)beavermatic Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-11-2015, 03:42 AM)SaberClash Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, does everyone else play in OpenGL rather than Direct3D? That's the only noticeable change in your settings I saw compared to mine. The game seems to run smoother in OpenGL but looks a lot less impressive after making that switch.

OpenGL is a bit smoother than Direct3D here, but quality difference? I notice no difference in quality between the two?

EDIT: There's no visual quality difference between the two, other than I can notice more colorbanding in D3D. Everything in OpenGL appears cleaner, sharper. Also much lower FPS in direct3D.

The type of difference I'm seeing is night and day. See the screenshots below.

[Image: RLOpenGL.png]

[Image: RLD3D.png]

You can notice it the most with the texture quality. Everything in OpenGL has a blurred look to it, while everything in D3D comes through smooth. It's hard to describe, but OpenGL seems to put a smudgey blur over the entire game.