Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Wii] Super Mario Galaxy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(06-16-2012, 08:06 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]So what are your settings and FPS now?

I switched back to 3.0-689, here are my settings:

http://i.imgur.com/tIu82.jpg

I'm a little bit confused on the framelimiting options, as in whether I should have both audio selected and Limit by FPS selected.

However, now my FPS is much lower, around 50 in the hub world when previously it was 60. The sound in the hub world isn't skipping around like it used to, but in the first level it was really choppy with FPS fluctuations.

Edit: Changing the framelimit to 60 brings the FPS back up in the hub world, but then the sound freaks out. Unchecking Limit by FPS then fixes the sound.

Edit2: This area: http://i.imgur.com/aKkOE.jpg Is giving me 45 FPS with choppy audio. None of the options I was talking about previously have any effect at all.
In your game settings, Idle skipping is unchecked. Change that to undetermined (blue box). Also, disable OpenMP.
Other than that, I don't know what to say.
(06-16-2012, 10:17 AM)HawaiianPunch Wrote: [ -> ]In your game settings, Idle skipping is unchecked. Change that to undetermined (blue box). Also, disable OpenMP.
Other than that, I don't know what to say.

I was told to uncheck idle skipping because of a tweak for the sound, I did so in the game specific settings so I didn't have to set it for all games.

I'll uncheck OpenMP, but I think originally I started out with it not checked but just never changed it back, so I don't know if that will do anything.
Inirit Wrote:I'm a little bit confused on the framelimiting options, as in whether I should have both audio selected and Limit by FPS selected.
Framelimit by audio will synchronize with the audio.
This is usually the most accurate.

Limit by FPS detects the games' FPS, and uses that to limit its FPS to.
Trying to change the left-side to audio, auto or the numbers has no effect when you check the box.

Oh, and check DSP LLE on Thread, it should provide a nice speedboost.
(06-16-2012, 10:29 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]
Inirit Wrote:I'm a little bit confused on the framelimiting options, as in whether I should have both audio selected and Limit by FPS selected.
Framelimit by audio will synchronize with the audio.
This is usually the most accurate.

Limit by FPS detects the games' FPS, and uses that to limit its FPS to.
Trying to change the left-side to audio, auto or the numbers has no effect when you check the box.

Oh, and check DSP LLE on Thread, it should provide a nice speedboost.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes a bit more sense.

However, was it not said earlier in the thread that DSP LLE on Thread doesn't affect games with this engine?
Nah, you've misunderstood part of the discussion.
You can safely turn that on.
(06-16-2012, 10:33 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Nah, you've misunderstood part of the discussion.
You can safely turn that on.

I understand that it can be safely turned on, but it seemed to me that the conclusion was that SMG would not benefit from that setting. I'll turn it on anyway.

Also, I need to point out here that I've been looking into overclocking. At the moment I have my CPU overclocked to 4.0Ghz and have had a stress test running for 45 minutes. I wanted to do this eventually since I have a CPU pretty much made for overclocking, so I felt now was a good of time as any.
Every game will benefit from that setting. It puts the LLE DSP on a different thread, so technically, three cores of your CPU are used instead of two.

I assume you're using custom cooling. What are your temperatures when you're playing Mario?
(06-16-2012, 10:43 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Every game will benefit from that setting. It puts the LLE DSP on a different thread, so technically, three cores of your CPU are used instead of two.

I assume you're using custom cooling. What are your temperatures when you're playing Mario?

I'll take your word for it.

I'm not using custom cooling. This stress test has been running for 50 minutes and has plateaued at 70C the entire time under 100% load. While I am a complete novice in overclocking, I'd say that's not too bad. My laptop used to get hotter than that without overclocking at all.
What are you stress testing with?
And what voltages are you at now?
70C is a great temperature under load, you've got plenty of headroom left.
I'd say stop overclocking when you reach 80C.

Oh, and if I were you, I'd definitely look into getting a third-party cooler.
The Intel stock one is garbage.
I've got a Gelid Tranquillo Rev 2 which was around $30 or so if I converted it correctly.
A 212+ will do great too. These coolers aren't too expensive. Definitely look into getting one.