Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Wii] Super Mario Galaxy 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:except for the fact that the game plays perfectly well in all other areas.

......we didn't discuss any specific areas. What on earth are you talking about?

Quote:There is clearly a coding conflict with Dolphin, as the levels where it's craping out aren't demanding or much different from the rest.

I'm guessing that "crapping out" means slowing down?

And how exactly did you measure how demanding those levels were on the emulated DSP? Are you running dolphin in debug mode? Once again you're assuming that because your hardware is good and you're getting slowdowns the software must have serious issues that are preventing you from getting better performance. The performance hit of LLE DSP emulation depends on what the game is doing with the DSP at the moment and how much throughput is needed to emulate those activities (which is determined by the hardware complexity), some audio tasks require a lot more work from the DSP emulator than others. I should also point out that you can't gauge how demanding something is on the emulator by how impressive it is, that's not how emulation works.

Quote:Are you going to tell me Skyward Sword isn't accurate enough? Skyward Sword plays much better than SMG in every way and is much more demanding graphically. 100% completion without any hiccup.

What does this have to do with anything? I don't understand why you're bringing this up. I'm talking about DSP emulation and the relationship between accuracy and performance. Did you read the article I sent you? If you did then you should understand why hardware emulation accuracy can affect some games without affecting others. If skyward sword isn't doing anything that requires the accuracy of LLE DSP emulation then it will run fine with HLE. But SMG does require the accuracy of LLE DSP emulation to do certain things (mainly AFC looping and writeback). And as far as speed is concerned the game could be using the DSP in a completely different way with completely different microcode than SMG (which it does), which would completely change how demanding LLE DSP emulation is. In case you don't know (since I'm getting that feeling from reading your post) accuracy is how closely the software environment created by the emulator matches the hardware environment that it's trying to mimic, therefore accuracy is not software dependent but may or may not affect how the software (games) runs on the emulator. I should also point out that being "graphically demanding" has nothing to do with audio. And even if we were talking about GPU emulation instead of DSP emulation how good the games graphics look have absolutely nothing to do with how demanding the GPU emulation is.

Please read that article that I linked in my last post because you clearly still don't get it which means that either you didn't bother reading it or you didn't understand it. The throughput requirements of accurate emulation are determined mostly by the complexity of the hardware being emulated and how different it is from our hardware.

Edit: After reading your post a few times I think I have finally figured out what on earth you were trying to say. I think you're essentially trying to say: "skyward sword looks better and runs better than SMG therefore dolphin must have a software problem that is preventing SMG from running well on my hardware". If that's what you were trying to say then you really don't understand emulation at all.

Quote:Can anyone explain to me why the game lags when my fps meter shows it's running at over 50 fps constantly? I really don't understand why.

Are you running the NTSC or PAL version?

50 fps is 80% gamespeed in the NTSC version and 100% gamespeed in the PAL version (assuming EUR60 mode is off).
(01-14-2012, 03:05 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]50 fps is 80% gamespeed in the NTSC version and 100% gamespeed in the PAL version (assuming EUR60 mode is off).

PAL version, but it still lags horribly at 50 fps. What is EUR60?
(01-18-2012, 08:20 AM)hipolymer Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2012, 03:05 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]50 fps is 80% gamespeed in the NTSC version and 100% gamespeed in the PAL version (assuming EUR60 mode is off).

PAL version, but it still lags horribly at 50 fps. What is EUR60?

Eur60 mode makes PAL games (usually limited to 50fps as that standard) run at 60fps like NTSC.
Also keep in mind that the game has to support it in order for it to work. And not all games support it (obviously).

What do you mean by "lags"? Do you mean the game is running slowly? Because 50fps is fullspeed for pal games if eur60 mode is off. Run the game in windowed mode and check your gamespeed.
(01-20-2012, 08:17 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Also keep in mind that the game has to support it in order for it to work. And not all games support it (obviously).

What do you mean by "lags"? Do you mean the game is running slowly? Because 50fps is fullspeed for pal games if eur60 mode is off. Run the game in windowed mode and check your gamespeed.

I'm guessing I have eur60 mode on because it definitely goes above 50 fps sometimes.

But yes, when it gets to 50 fps the game slows down immensely compared to 60. I mean it shouldn't be that different considering some games run at 30 fps natively and seem much smoother.

How would I turn this eur 60 off? Would that help?
Eur60 mode is in Config>Wii. That will change the fps of PAL games to 60, but 100%.
(01-14-2012, 09:29 AM)Virtuelol Wrote: [ -> ]Those are some interesting points you're bringing up, except for the fact that the game plays perfectly well in all other areas. There is clearly a coding conflict with Dolphin, as the levels where it's craping out aren't demanding or much different from the rest.

Are you going to tell me Skyward Sword isn't accurate enough? Skyward Sword plays much better than SMG in every way and is much more demanding graphically. 100% completion without any hiccup.

You should stop posting crap like this until you actually understand or know anything about emulation and such.

Also, SMG and SMG2 run way better than SS on Dolphin, just cuz it lags a bit in some levels doesn't mean crap.

Just FYI, do you know how many years ago was PS2 launched? The emulator for PS2 even now DOESN'T run ALL GAMES. You can't even play the first God of War properly on that.
Just reportin an minor issue in latest versions:
Sometimes when you change resolution or some things like this (didnt test everythin), cursor go "innactive".
Star still show up on screen and move accordin to order, but it just stop interact with objets, so u can't get candy-star things (until mario catch them with body) or catch flower-jump-up things, wich mean an restart of dolphin since it suck for some stages.
Well cant target anymore.
Hi, I use a wired 360 pad to play mario galaxy 2, my question is how can I get the wiimote cursor to hide(when analog stick is centered), and only show when I move the analog stick? I tried using the NOT option for hide cursor button, but I still have to keep the button pressed for the cursor to show.
Is there a way to get around this?
Hi all,
Been playing SMG2 perfectly for ages, but just got to 'Flashblack' Galaxy in the final world and when it's supposed to light up the screen just stays black.
Tried switching texture to RAM but no luck - anyone else had this issue?
Using 3.0-170.