Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Super Mario Sunshine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Mentlegen

I don't think it's an overheating problem...sometimes if I play right after I satrt the computer, the game will be on normal speed, but using the same load will sometimes start the game at the lower speed, and also, the problem fixe itself and comes back randomly during a gameplay.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my hardware in terms of performance either, I went through this thread and saw people with much inferior configurations saying they were playing the game perfectly well, and changing the default settings to activate all kinds of filters and texture improvement, what should make the game heavier, does not affects the speed issue. My computer also runs with a really close performance than similar machines in terms of hardware.

I will test the temperatures later and edit this post.
My current system is:
Notebook
CPU: Intel i7 Q720 (Base 1.6 GHz; Max Turbo Frequency 2.8 GHz)
GPU: GeForce GT 240M

Edit: Tested the game while monitoring the CPU/GPU temperature and use. Definitely not the problem, not only it didn't get too hot, but the problem started and then the game went back to normal at even higher temperatures. That randomly happens no matter the temperature.
RAM: 4 GB (forgot the clock)
Latest version of Dolphin for Windows 64 bits (3.0-427)

Just for the sake of comparison, I'm able to run games like Skyrim on low/medium settings or Deus Ex: HR in medium settings just fine, without any kind of overheating or "slow down" issue with time. I'm aware that emulating GameCube should make use of hardware power much higher than the one in the console, but I'm sure my computer has more than it should need.

Just in case I messed with some kind of configuration, what's the best configuration for this game (general/graphics/sound)?
(02-28-2012, 04:00 AM)Mentlegen Wrote: [ -> ]Just for the sake of comparison, I'm able to run games like Skyrim on low/medium settings or Deus Ex: HR in medium settings just fine, without any kind of overheating or "slow down" issue with time. I'm aware that emulating GameCube should make use of hardware power much higher than the one in the console, but I'm sure my computer has more than it should need.

Please don't compare PC games and emulators because they're two different kinds of programs. PC games rely heavily on the GPU, while Dolphin needs the GPU for things like internal resolution, anti-aliasing, and anisotropic filtering. The rest of Dolphin's performance is usually dependent the CPU. I'm no entirely sure, but I think most modern PC games have frame independent motion, as opposed to GC/Wii's fixed frame rates, so drops in FPS for PC games don't look so laggy.

At any rate, post your Dolphin settings as well with those temps. I figured your PC was good enough, and your specs do look fine. One thing to do is to make sure "Lock Threads to Core" is enabled. It's never happened to me, but having the threads jump across your cores frequently decreases performance, so I've heard. Dunno if that's what's causing your issues, but it won't hurt to enable it.

(02-28-2012, 04:00 AM)Mentlegen Wrote: [ -> ]Just in case I messed with some kind of configuration, what's the best configuration for this game (general/graphics/sound)?

Still not at my desktop, but here's what I remember I set it to:

Audio Throttling (via Frame Limit options), JIT Recompiler, Dual Core + Idle Skipping enabled.
OpenGL, V-Sync, IR set to Auto (Window Size) 4X AA, Scaled EFB Copy, Skip EFB Access, EFB Copies -> Texture, Texture Cache -> Fast (all the way right), Fast Mipmaps, and Disable Per-Pixel Depth.
OpenMP seems to want to eat up most of my CPUs, for some reason or another, so I make sure to leave it off.

Mentlegen

(02-28-2012, 05:14 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]At any rate, post your Dolphin settings as well with those temps.

My Dolphin settings were the default setting, with the only difference being EFB to RAM (which I switched back since the problem was fixed).

CPU usage wasn't high and as I said, CPU/GPU temperature are apparently irrelevant as sometimes the speed drops when the temperatures are still low and sometimes the speed goes back to normal after much higher temperatures are reached.

Out of my PC right now, but I will test the configurations you mentioned later, thanks.

Hmm, well, watch which cores are active when you get the problem. If Dolphin starts using different cores, and you have "Lock Thread to Cores" disabled, and then you see a dip in performance, your problem could be due to that switching. It could seem random because it's your OS that decides how to even out the load across your CPU. That's just a theory, but it's definitely one to test. Good luck with testing out the config I gave you.

Mentlegen

Ok, the new configurations seemed to reduce a bit the amount of time the game stays in slowdown.

Although the problem still exists, but I can just switch between games and go back to Sunshine when it goes back to normal. I will check if other games have the same effect on Dolphin.

Thanks for the help!

guicalmeida

i need help, my super mario sunhsine always starts to run in50% speed suddenly! i researched and discovered that i needed to use the real XFB to fix the issue, but where can i find this? I researched and discovered that i could find at the video plugin, AND WHERES THE VIDEO PLUGIN? help please
(03-13-2012, 07:50 AM)guicalmeida Wrote: [ -> ]i need help, my super mario sunhsine always starts to run in50% speed suddenly! i researched and discovered that i needed to use the real XFB to fix the issue, but where can i find this? I researched and discovered that i could find at the video plugin, AND WHERES THE VIDEO PLUGIN? help please

Graphics/Hacks/External Frame Buffer
In whatever setting, I do not get it to work in 1080p 16:9 Fullscreen. Output always is 4:3. Even when widescreen hack is enabled.

How do I use the AspectRatio = 0 in game.ini what are the possible values for AspectRatio?. This is why we need a GUI for game profiles.

Will Simpson

Hello, I have the game Super Mario sunshine for my Gamecube so I was wondering if their was a way to convert the files from the rather small Gamecube disc to my PC via and make an ISO file to run in the dolphin emulator so I can record and upload to my youtube channel (KrisandWill449).

If I cannot do this I was wondering if someone cold link me to a download or something.

Thanks,
Will.
etking Wrote:In whatever setting, I do not get it to work in 1080p 16:9 Fullscreen. Output always is 4:3. Even when widescreen hack is enabled.

How do I use the AspectRatio = 0 in game.ini what are the possible values for AspectRatio?. This is why we need a GUI for game profiles.

Have a look at this thread. The solution, I believe, is as TheDarkFenrir says:

TheDarkFenrir Wrote:Open dolphin > graphics > advanced > Enable widescreen hack & crop
Go back to General > Aspect ratio > 16:9 or stretch to window
Start game > alt+enter
***This option works best if you have a 16:9 monitor using a 16:9 (17:10) resolution.

But like NaturalViolence says, you should be careful with the widescreen hack, as some users have reported getting visual errors in games.

Will Simpson Wrote:Hello, I have the game Super Mario sunshine for my Gamecube so I was wondering if their was a way to convert the files from the rather small Gamecube disc to my PC via and make an ISO file to run in the dolphin emulator so I can record and upload to my youtube channel (KrisandWill449).

If I cannot do this I was wondering if someone cold link me to a download or something.

Downloading copyrighted games is copyright infringement, e.g. "piracy" and can't be discussed on these forums, unless you want to get banned. You need to dump the game disc. If you're fortunate enough to own a certain type of DVD drive, you can use your computer with a program called RawDump. There's a guide here on how you can do that. Most people don't have one of those drives, so we use our Wiis to dump the games. Try looking around for a program called CleanRip. You'll need an SD and the Wii Homebrew Channel.