Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Elfice

I can run TP relatively smoothly (haven't made much progress but riding Epona through a lot of grass causes a bit of sputtering, which I expected, for example), but I like to stream from time to time and although I know streaming AND emulating a GC game isn't easy to do, I've done it before with several others and really would like TP to be one of those games as well. Here's what I have the graphics set to to play it normally:

http://i.gyazo.com/0c41a20aee9b8db19823b0e0cad857e9.png (general)
http://i.gyazo.com/073a92d30046b13267bca249bba06130.png (enhancements)
http://i.gyazo.com/1eeeabc782b3f021d4b1c8ece3ff12d2.png (hacks)

I know most of what I've got is the bottom of the heap in terms of visual quality, but does anyone know of some other changes I can make to hopefully make streaming TP a little smoother? Or is it just the reality made by my hardware and the only thing left is to upgrade (which really I don't intend to do for a while)?

Also Ordon Village runs at about 75% speed, even when not streaming. Is it just the multitude of moving elements (water, waterwheel, etc.), and is that setting a note for how well other large environments will run, too, or is Ordon Village just stupid like that?
Twilight Princess is one of the hardest GC games to emulate at full speed entirely. Hyrule Field is the most demanding single area that I know of in any GC game.
Enabling OpenMP and OpenCL texture decoders together is like enabling and disabling dual-core mode at the same time.

Your CPU is waiting to be upgraded.

Per-Pixel Lighting is a lot more taxing than it might seem at first.

Turn down the texture cache safety to "Fast".

Fix all of those, and you won't get slower speeds than I do whilst having better hardware than me (for comparison, I get ~90-100% speed in Ordon Village, with an Athlon II x2 operating at a lower clock rate, and a 5770).

Elfice

(03-30-2014, 05:53 AM)kinkinkijkin Wrote: [ -> ]Enabling OpenMP and OpenCL texture decoders together is like enabling and disabling dual-core mode at the same time.

Your CPU is waiting to be upgraded.

Per-Pixel Lighting is a lot more taxing than it might seem at first.

Turn down the texture cache safety to "Fast".

Fix all of those, and you won't get slower speeds than I do whilst having better hardware than me (for comparison, I get ~90-100% speed in Ordon Village, with an Athlon II x2 operating at a lower clock rate, and a 5770).

Figured between OpenMP and OpenCL, perhaps disabling the one labeled experimental would yield better results

which it certainly did, thanks for the help! Ordon runs perfectly and even riding Epona through a lot of grass at once only causes a slight slowdown, not anywhere near what it used to. Thanks again!
Sorry if I seemed downbeat with my prognosis; I'm so used to going for accuracy and making things look right, that I sometimes forget that you can break some features of the games for more performance. I've been hanging around the devs too much!

Glad you're enjoying the game again!
Hey guys, Im new here but Ive been using the emulator for a while now. I really love it and figured if Im going to be using it so much I might as well join the forums.

Anyway, Ive been having issues with this game. When I first started playing there werent many issues. I havent played much but even while running through the woods I began to have issues. And we're talking about the first hour of the game here. There were sound issues for sure but following this guide most of them went away.

I have slightly higher settings when I run the game or any game on the emulator but most of the time its to ensure that the game looks halfway decent. Right now, however, the game runs very slowly no matter what settings I have it at. I dont run any AA and still it runs slow.

Some Settings:

3xNative IR
DSP LLE
Video Backend: Direct3D
Audio Backend: XAudio2

And a bunch of other small tweaks from the Wiki thread you guys have. But even with those specific tweaks and ESB Copy to RAM - it Still runs slow. Is it because of the revision Im using?

Let me know. Thanks.
You shouldn´t need LLE (?) with actual dev builds. Try with OpenGL and lowering IR.

BTW, you forgot to put your CPU.
(04-01-2014, 10:26 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]You shouldn´t need LLE (?) with actual dev builds. Try with OpenGL and lowering IR.

BTW, you forgot to put your CPU.

I got the latest build, 4.0 - 1340 just now. Should I switch everything back to HLE (or whatever its called)? Ill try with OpenGL but the last time I tried it just would not display the mini-map, even after the tweaks on the Wiki. I will definitely try again though and see if that helps. My problem with using lower IR is that (even with "Window Size") there is tons of pixelation and glitching. Its weird. Maybe that isnt the case with OpenGL but lol Id have to switch modes for all my games. It wont affect Wind Waker but I also run Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Monster Hunter Tri and Tales of Symphonia and a few others. Is there a way to switch between the settings for each game?

My CPU is an i5 2500k @ 4.2 GHz (self throttling).
I tried the new HLE for Zelda ucode games and it did not help my performance over LLE. I saw similar framerates with my rig (in my sig). I was hoping for a boost in Hyrule Field but I didnt get it. The good news is that the audio in the newer builds helps out in several other games
I deleted the game for now. It runs way too badly. I know Im missing out but this game requires smooth frames and I dont want it looking like crap to do it. I did finish Wind Waker today. Amazing game...though the ending/finish was a bit repetitive. Really hope I can play this one day. That or Skyward Sword or something. Zelda is truly something else.