Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Translation - moving to Transifex
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Hi everyone,

Historically the updates to Dolphin translations were managed on a forum thread, with Glenn uploading new POT files and translators updating their PO files to new forum posts. It kind of worked so far, but now that we're planning to translate more stuff (website, FAQ, online guides) we need to automate some of the translations management.

We decided to handle all the translations using a free online service called Transifex. They integrate very well with our workflow and after a small period of tests Glenn and I decided we should start using it for real.

What does that mean for translators?

To help translating Dolphin, here is what you need to do:
  • Create an account on Transifex, with a valid email address that you often read (you will get notifications there when new stuff need to be translated)
  • Go to the Dolphin Emulator page on Transifex
  • If the langage you want to help translating is already listed, click on it, then click on "Join Team". Someone will need to confirm you joining the team. If the language does not exist, click on "Create Language".
  • When you have been approved to join a team, you can start translating our resources. Our current resources are the Emulator strings and the Website strings. Click on the resource you want to translate, then click "Translate now" to start editing the translations online.

Thanks to all the translators, and especially thanks to Runo for creating and helping manage the previous translation thread. I hope everyone will be happy with Transifex!
Here are a few important notes for translators (taken from Runo's previous guide).

Translation Notes

- If a string contains formatting (there will be a comment above it that says "c-format") make sure that the translated string has the same formatting in the same order. If not the program may segmentation fault when the translation of that string occurs. For example:

Code:
#: Source/Core/DolphinWX/Src/FrameTools.cpp:333
#, c-format

msgid "Connect Wiimote %i\t"
msgstr "Verbinden Wiimote %i\t"

Also, like shown above, try to keep spacing and escape sequences (like the "\t" above) the same in the translation.

- If there is an ampersand "&" in the string it would be nice to put an ampersand in the translation. Those are usually menu accelerators. For example:

Code:
#: Source/Core/DolphinWX/Src/FrameTools.cpp:181

msgid "Co&nfigure..."
msgstr "Kon&figurieren"

This changes the keyboard shortcut "Alt-n" to "Alt-f" for the translated program. In general you should probably try to use the same letter if possible.
So the example above is not the best way to do it. It should be "Ko&nfigurieren" to keep the menu accelerator the same.

Website Translation

You can also translate Dolphin's Official website! Please be extra careful when doing it and try to have everything proof-read by another native speaker if possible: this will be a lot more visible than the emulator GUI translations (it's directly on the web and people will find it before the english version of the website).

When translating the website, be careful NOT to translate any of the HTML tags or javascript/server-side script references, for example:

Code:
<strong>Warning!</strong> Development versions are released every time a\n
Here, you must not translate the word "strong", since it is a tag

Code:
Download %(last_release)s now for Windows, Mac and Linux »
Here, you must not translate "last_release" since it is a reference
Ok, then I will take a look at those new lines.
Wow, much easier now! Just Joined pt_BR group!
I just joined the German translation team. Maybe I could help a bit ^^

M4rinus

Requested to join the Dutch translation group.
I just requested to create the Japanese Group.
I got it. I am Siegfried there, too.
I requested creation of korean transloation.
''Siegfried requested the creation of a Korean language translation for the project Dolphin Emulator''
It's me Smile.
I had to use "DolphinPhoenix", 'cause someone else took it first.
Luckily, I could upload my almost complete translation of the emulator. It would be a pain to redo everything from scratch. Sad
http://sv.dolphin-emu.org/ is now up, thanks to the work of Phoenix!

Also, if you want your website translation to be used on dolphin-emu.org, please provide me the name of your language translated in that language (for example, french -> Français, swedish -> Svenska, german -> Deutsch, ...). That will make things a lot easier for me Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32