Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

PRD75920

Hey! I've started playing TTYD today, but some stuff happened.

I'm using Direct3D 11. Whenever I leave a pipe, the game's FPS rate drops. It's happened to similar events, like when the boat turned around in the prologue. Does anyone know how to fix this?
(01-29-2021, 08:01 AM)PRD75920 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey! I've started playing TTYD today, but some stuff happened.

I'm using Direct3D 11. Whenever I leave a pipe, the game's FPS rate drops. It's happened to similar events, like when the boat turned around in the prologue. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Those specific events demand a lot more from the GPU than the rest of the game. Your GPU is probably just not powerful enough.
An easy way to check if you GPU is to blame: in Dolphin's Graphics config set everything to default or 1x, and if you're still seeing problems, then your GPU is not powerful enough.

If your profile is correct, and you're using an AMD R5 220, then yes your GPU is most likely the culprit here for being too weak. You're going to want to upgrade to a better GPU. If you have a budget we can recommend something for you

PRD75920

(01-29-2021, 08:19 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]An easy way to check if you GPU is to blame: in Dolphin's Graphics config set everything to default or 1x, and if you're still seeing problems, then your GPU is not powerful enough.

If your profile is correct, and you're using an AMD R5 220, then yes your GPU is most likely the culprit here for being too weak. You're going to want to upgrade to a better GPU. If you have a budget we can recommend something for you

I see, I see. I tried an older version of Dolphin, and it seems to work better in that regard, so it might have been that.
The effect that is happening is the Bounding Box effect, which the Paper Mario games are one of like 5 games that use it. It's very taxing on the GPU, and in older versions of Dolphin there were older versions of the code and whatnot, which is why you're seeing a slight speed bump. Just know that older versions of Dolphin are slower in general and prone to having more problems. You also won't get any support for using older builds if you run into further issues

AnemoMETA08

I have a bit of an odd problem. I'm on Dolphin 5.0-14332. It happens randomly and without warning, but for some reason, I can't get it to happen again so I don't have a screenshot. I'm afraid to wait for it to happen again however because I don't want to actually be in the middle of a gameplay session just for it to happen out of the blue. This issue has only happened on TTYD.

A box labeled "Question" will appear before everything freezes, and then I have to use the Task Manager to exit. I can't remember what exactly the dialogue box said, but it had something to do with de-synchronization and it said enabling Dual Core would help (I always play with DC on, though). At the very bottom, it said something like "Dolphin will now either hang or crash. Enjoy."

Every time it's happened, it happened when opening the game, when reaching the title screen, when reaching the file select, etc.

This is my first time on the forum, so please tell me -- do I need to post my computer information here? I mean, I had to enter this information when setting up a new profile, so I thought that'd mean everyone can see it, but I dunno how everything works here just yet.
(06-04-2021, 06:57 AM)AnemoMETA08 Wrote: [ -> ]A box labeled "Question" will appear before everything freezes, and then I have to use the Task Manager to exit. I can't remember what exactly the dialogue box said, but it had something to do with de-synchronization and it said enabling Dual Core would help (I always play with DC on, though). At the very bottom, it said something like "Dolphin will now either hang or crash. Enjoy."

It says that disabling dual core can help. Please try that.

(06-04-2021, 06:57 AM)AnemoMETA08 Wrote: [ -> ]This is my first time on the forum, so please tell me -- do I need to post my computer information here? I mean, I had to enter this information when setting up a new profile, so I thought that'd mean everyone can see it, but I dunno how everything works here just yet.

We can see the information you entered when creating your account (by clicking on your username to view your profile).

AnemoMETA08

(06-04-2021, 07:36 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]It says that disabling dual core can help. Please try that.

We can see the information you entered when creating your account (by clicking on your username to view your profile).

Thank you! ...Don't know how I misread that...

Chesterton

Hey, I've been trying to play ttyd recently and I keep getting softlocked at frankly's gate during the prologue. Before this softlock, I encountered numerous other graphical issues such as the boat Mario gets dropped off by becoming transparent and only some of its texture showing, the X-naut horde only showing the shadows, and when sleeping in the Inn Mario goes invisible during the "slip into bed" animation. The wiki and others have said that it may be an api issue especially since openGL doesn't work for this game on macOS. So I changed my graphics backend to Vulkan and I then had an error message to disable dual core, so I did. After that I reentered my save just before the first dialogue with Frankly and I still got softlocked at the gate. I ended replaying the beginning of the game up to that point and all of the aforementioned graphical issues persisted.

So, does anybody have any insight on my issue? Is it my GPU lacking strength? Is it macOS being lame as always when it comes to playing games? Or possibly some setting that I forgot to simply enable or disable?
Sounds like your GPU doesn't like Bounding Box, which Paper Mario uses extensively and that's what causing the graphical glitches and softlocks you reported. Jus to be sure, have you tried the latest development version with the Vulkan backend?