Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone else with the PAL version have trouble getting it to keep a consistent frame rate using PAL60? Sometimes it starts off working fine then starts lagging after a few minutes play, other times it's just bad from the off. Weird thing is the NTSC version seems to work just fine Sad

grizzlyFOX

(08-25-2018, 05:20 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]The way you worded this makes me wonder, have you been using savestates to save your progress, or in game saves?

@KHg8m3t :  I have been using in game saves . I wanted to play if like I did when I was a kid. 
Is it possible to somehow EDIT the game text and see the applied changes in game? I know there's a filesystem and a MSG folder containing .txt files, I'm only able to extract them. Not edit them directly on the Filesystem for dolphin
Yes, it is. Assuming you're using a recent development build*, right click the game in Dolphin's Game List => Properties, then go to the Filesystem tab, right-click the root Disc entry and select "Extract Entire Disc...". Choose an empty folder somewhere on your computer and wait until the extraction finishes. Once it's done, you'll have a specific folder structure (it varies between GC and Wii ISOs). The important folders are "files" and "sys".

The "files" folder will have all disc content you were already seeing in Dolphin Filesystem tab, you can go and edit them as you like. In this specific case (editing the text from Paper Mario) I suggest using a hex editor instead of a normal text editor. While the messages are in plain text with some HTML-like tags for special formatting, there's actually a specific hex character at the end of each phrase to inform the game it's the end of that line that won't show up or will simply get purged if you edit the file with a normal text editor, but in a hex editor you'll see this character correctly. This also will prevent the generic "No message (English)" that Paper Mario outputs when it can't locate the message it's actually searching in the text files.

To test your changes, in Dolphin, go to File => Open and select the "main.dol" file you'll find inside the "sys" folder. By doing that Dolphin will boot the game from the extracted filesystem directly and whatever changes you made in the files will reflect in the emulated game. It's recommended to stop and then start the emulation again whenever you change the files.

If you want to build a new ISO with the changed files, you should then use Wiimms ISO Tools, it doesn't have a Graphical User Interface but it's not too hard to use and AFAIK the file structure that Dolphin extracts the ISOs is the same that WIT expect when building a new ISO...

*While you can run games from an extracted filesystem in virtually any Dolphin version, in old builds (including 5.0 stable) the setup process was troublesome and way more error prone. So, just avoid that by using a recent development build, it's way easier to extract and run games from a local filesystem on them
(09-10-2018, 02:29 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it is. Assuming you're using a recent development build*, right click the game in Dolphin's Game List => Properties, then go to the Filesystem tab, right-click the root Disc entry and select "Extract Entire Disc...". Choose an empty folder somewhere on your computer and wait until the extraction finishes. Once it's done, you'll have a specific folder structure (it varies between GC and Wii ISOs). The important folders are "files" and "sys".

The "files" folder will have all disc content you were already seeing in Dolphin Filesystem tab, you can go and edit them as you like. In this specific case (editing the text from Paper Mario) I suggest using a hex editor instead of a normal text editor. While the messages are in plain text with some HTML-like tags for special formatting, there's actually a specific hex character at the end of each phrase to inform the game it's the end of that line that won't show up or will simply get purged if you edit the file with a normal text editor, but in a hex editor you'll see this character correctly. This also will prevent the generic "No message (English)" that Paper Mario outputs when it can't locate the message it's actually searching in the text files.

To test your changes, in Dolphin, go to File => Open and select the "main.dol" file you'll find inside the "sys" folder. By doing that Dolphin will boot the game from the extracted filesystem directly and whatever changes you made in the files will reflect in the emulated game. It's recommended to stop and then start the emulation again whenever you change the files.

If you want to build a new ISO with the changed files, you should then use Wiimms ISO Tools, it doesn't have a Graphical User Interface but it's not too hard to use and AFAIK the file structure that Dolphin extracts the ISOs is the same that WIT expect when building a new ISO...

*While you can run games from an extracted filesystem in virtually any Dolphin version, in old builds (including 5.0 stable) the setup process was troublesome and way more error prone. So, just avoid that by using a recent development build, it's way easier to extract and run games from a local filesystem on them
So do you know the name of the filename under this text? https://imgur.com/a/ebu18uo and what folder is the filename in? Is there anyway to edit the file without using any external applications on Mac? And if not, what external applications are required to edit the file?
You'll have to look up by yourself (all text of the game is divided in 5 or 6 .txt files you'll find inside the Msg folder as far as I remember). All I know is that normal text editors tends to mess the text file causing the game to not recognize it anymore due the hex character signaling the end of the phrase being stripped, that's why you need a hex editor. Also, I never used macOS (only Windows and Linux), so you're on your own to find suitable applications for this task...
Pressing the main.dol just only takes me to the selection screen, not the Game itself.
(09-30-2018, 07:50 PM)NonoTeal Wrote: [ -> ]Pressing the main.dol just only takes me to the selection screen, not the Game itself.

What do you mean by "the selection screen"?
Hey guys, this is my first time here and I'm relatively new to all of this, so please be elicit as possible with me, thanks!

I am having a problem here with the graphics on this game I'm playing (Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door) on the Dolphin Emulator in parallels desktop from my Mac.
I have a fairly good video graphics card and RAM on my iMac, so I can not fathom why there is an issue here with any of this.

[Image: oKlj4Rj.png]

This photo here shows the glitch I am encountering and I have everything set up right (im sure?)

[Image: jPG3sR1.jpg]

[Image: aZTuIkp.png]
[Image: DsGbqde.png]

[Image: ZQ2dKbL.png]

[Image: ZyDqY1E.png]

Can someone please help get this resolved because for the sake of nostalgia, I reeeeally want to play Paper Mario: TTYD lol