Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GBA <-> GCN Connection Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Sorry for running in here all "one-post-wonder" like.

I also have problems with this. I don't even seem to GET to the GameBoy Screen. The Bios files I have all seem to do absolutely nothing. They just give me white screens and no activity at all.

What am I missing? Sad

EDIT: Anyway, does the DSP really have relevance, as in "it does NOT work without it"? I have it, but it does the same with it. It just doesn't do anything, the GBA window hangs a little, but theres no GameBoy symbol coming... At all.
Since you are getting a white screen, use a network sniffer to verify that there is data being sent between dolphin and vba-m. If there is data, just keep on waiting, it is very slow.

If there isn't any data, follow our guides and tips exactly.

The DSP LLE and it's files are required. The GBA-GC link will definitely not work without it.
(03-18-2010, 07:59 AM)sinni800 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for running in here all "one-post-wonder" like.

I also have problems with this. I don't even seem to GET to the GameBoy Screen. The Bios files I have all seem to do absolutely nothing. They just give me white screens and no activity at all.

What am I missing? Sad

EDIT: Anyway, does the DSP really have relevance, as in "it does NOT work without it"? I have it, but it does the same with it. It just doesn't do anything, the GBA window hangs a little, but theres no GameBoy symbol coming... At all.

try this: go to "Options > Emulator > BIOS Files..." and in the Game Boy Advance box click the "..." button and locate the BIOS file (must be either .bin or .rom format). Make sure the "Enable" box is checked and the "Skip boot logo" box is unchecked. Now go to "Options > Gameboy" and select "GBA" or "Automatic". Now, whenever you load a GBA ROM, the emulator will first load the BIOS file before loading the ROM itself, just like an actual gameboy. To load JUST the GBA BIOS file (i.e. turning on a gameboy with no cartridge in it) open the BIOS file as you would with any other ROM.

I sure hope that helps!
(03-18-2010, 10:43 AM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]Since you are getting a white screen, use a network sniffer to verify that there is data being sent between dolphin and vba-m. If there is data, just keep on waiting, it is very slow.

If there isn't any data, follow our guides and tips exactly.

The DSP LLE and it's files are required. The GBA-GC link will definitely not work without it.

TCPView shows a connection established between Dolphin and the GBA emulator. SmartSniff does not show any packets transfered though. Maybe I should try Wireshark?

So the LLE DSP is really required. Well I have it so I will only use the LLE now Wink.

Is the white screen normal? Shouldn't it just show the Game Boy icon? It does NOT show ANYTHING if I load the bios without the joybus activated.

(03-18-2010, 11:12 AM)Bananaman Wrote: [ -> ]try this: go to "Options > Emulator > BIOS Files..." and in the Game Boy Advance box click the "..." button and locate the BIOS file (must be either .bin or .rom format). Make sure the "Enable" box is checked and the "Skip boot logo" box is unchecked. Now go to "Options > Gameboy" and select "GBA" or "Automatic". Now, whenever you load a GBA ROM, the emulator will first load the BIOS file before loading the ROM itself, just like an actual gameboy. To load JUST the GBA BIOS file (i.e. turning on a gameboy with no cartridge in it) open the BIOS file as you would with any other ROM.

I sure hope that helps!

Hmm when I load the BIOS file while BIOS use is activated, I get the GBA bios with a corrupted Nintendo sign. If I load the BIOS while the use is deactivated, I will always get a white screen without anything happening.

I'm trying Four Swords, if I havent mentioned that. I have it original, have a GBA SP and a Gamecube and I know how it should work. It should show the GameBoy Advance Icon without the Nintendo icon, wait a while, then the Nintendo icon should pop up with a "dun-din-ding!" sound. Then it loads the files and starts up.

So from this perspective, I know what SHOULD happen. But it doesn't. I seem to can't figure out how to load the BIOS! It just shows me white. If I go menu -> rom INFO it shows me garbage characters all over the lines.

By the way, I tried the RC and a 5xxx build from someone on the board Wink

I am thankful that people answered me, I have had worse experiences with support on awesome open source projects.

EDIT: Here are my computer stats, btw.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
4 GB DDR2-800 RAM
Ati Radeon HD 5770
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
on Windows 7 x64 Professional

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

Guys I've done another experiment. I used another PC plugged into the same switch for the GBA Emu. Now I see it transfering A LOT. Not many bytes, but CONSTANTLY! 2-byte packets it seems. The TCP, IP and Ethernet overhead seem to be a lot more than the raw data.

I'll wait what happens!

Another EDIT:

Just something I forgot to tell you guys: When I paused the GBA emu on my local machine, it also paused the GC emu. This also happens with the remote machine of course. So in the end, they were contacting.
(03-19-2010, 02:30 AM)sinni800 Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm when I load the BIOS file while BIOS use is activated, I get the GBA bios with a corrupted Nintendo sign. If I load the BIOS while the use is deactivated, I will always get a white screen without anything happening.

This is a good sign. A corrupted Nintendo logo means that some data is being transferred.

"Use BIOS" always has to be enabled. The GBA BIOS controls the GBA-GC link.

Follow the instructions here and here. Then check the contents of "0x02000000 - WRAM". Post the results for us.
(03-19-2010, 10:13 AM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]This is a good sign. A corrupted Nintendo logo means that some data is being transferred.

"Use BIOS" always has to be enabled. The GBA BIOS controls the GBA-GC link.

Follow the instructions here and here. Then check the contents of "0x02000000 - WRAM". Post the results for us.

I know what the thing with the corrupted Nintendo logo was. I had a GameBoy Micro BIOS. It also didn't make the logo disappear when I hit START+SELECT. I found another bios which properly does this. Also the sound was a lot different.

I now get a SLOWLY appearing GameBoy Logo, but the Nintendo® NEVER comes up now. Although there is still a lot of traffic going on between the two PCs and the localhost GameBoy emu. I will be at home later end edit results in, following the two guides.

EDIT1: I also switched dual core off and extra thread for lle on. At least the game runs fullspeed now. The sound is VERY VERY crippled though. Though neither the remote GBA or the local one connect. They send packets like crazy though.

They look like this:

Dolphin to GBA:

Code:
0000  00 13 8f 81 64 e2 00 1a  4d 5a 6e 27 08 00 45 00   ....d... MZn'..E.
0010  00 29 76 b8 40 00 80 06  00 00 c0 a8 01 1a c0 a8   .)v.@... ........
0020  01 20 d6 ba 04 3b 39 cc  51 91 57 e5 0f 28 50 18   . ...;9. Q.W..(P.
0030  f7 9d 83 a6 00 00 ff                               .......

GBA to Dolphin;

Code:
0000  00 1a 4d 5a 6e 27 00 13  8f 81 64 e2 08 00 45 00   ..MZn'.. ..d...E.
0010  00 2b 76 82 40 00 80 06  00 c0 c0 a8 01 20 c0 a8   .+v.@... ..... ..
0020  01 1a 04 3b d6 ba 57 e5  0f 25 39 cc 51 91 50 18   ...;..W. .%9.Q.P.
0030  fd 6e 51 6e 00 00 00 04  10 95 10 53               .nQn.... ...S
They are almost always the same. Some bytes change though.

EDIT: No wait, that was with Ethernet & TCP headers.

What really is happening with Ethernet / TCP stripped out... I created a html report from gba connecting and 1 minute of packets. Or should I capture more? Wink.

Nothing happens btw in the GBA screen, still!

HERE IS THE REPORT. 1 minute of transfering from the start on. 3 Megabytes of HTML!!
"Local" is the Gamecube PC here.

EDIT: Do I get ignored now?

HatedHero

This sucks...when I set the second Port as "GBA" no game would load until I change it back. So there is no way to make the game (Pokemon Colosseum) run with a GBA slot. And furthermore....where can I get the DSP-LLE from without dumping it???

Thanks in advance Wink
Ok, I tried this with Zelda WW. I manage to get the Nintendo logo to appear but then it the game says that the GBA is not connected... what the?
Hey, I need to know if it's normal if the nintendo logo is corrupted when showing the GBA bios' screen...
The TCP/IP Mon shows connection segments going in and out every time, but the GBA BIOS seems to freeze when fully loaded... or do I just have to wait?
I use a wireless router... do I need to open any port to make it run properly?

Here is a Pic of TCP/IP Mon, Dolphin and VBA's memory viewer:
[Image: printlu.th.png]

Sorry for my bad english.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27