Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GBA <-> GCN Connection Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
I'm having problems with games like Crystal Chronicles and Four Swords Adventure.

1) I use the GCN Controller to activate the game.
2) I change it to the GBA port.
3) The Joybus connection fails to initalize.
4) No multiplayer support. Sad

What exactly do you need to do in order to make games like that use the GBA as Controller 1?
Can't use gba in dolphin too... in VBA-M, only appear "Gameboy", and nothing more...
I tried 18 times Sad
i tried getting four swords to work for like 2 hrs now an no success
im getting d same problem Gouken20xx is having...
what is d exact steps?
yea it only says GAMEBOY but it doesnt show NINTENDO
If you are getting the Gameboy logo but no Nintendo flashing logo, you have to wait for a few minutes for the GBA code to download.

If after 10 minutes, try resetting VBA-M using the menu or (Ctrl - R) and wait another 10 minutes.

To run VBA-M with the least CPU usage, use these settings inside VBA-M:

Audio -> Sync Game to audio = on
Speed -> Throttle -> No Throttle
Speed -> Frame skip -> Automatic = off
Speed -> Frame skip -> No frame skip
Emulation -> Pause when inactive = off
Link -> Enable GBA Linking = off

In Dolphin, I had more success with "DSP LLE on thread" turned on than off.

Make sure that the firewall is not blocking TCP port 54970.

There is a timing parameter hard-coded into the VBA-M code which we have not made configurable. But the current setting works for me on a Intel E6700 2.66Ghz Dual Core.

KyleA

My problem is that once VBA-M establishes a connection to Dolphin, VBA-M just stops responding. I know it establishes a connection as if I put in an invalid IP in Joybus or disable Joybus VBA-M does not hang. The second I enable and/or put in a valid IP it does stop responding.

Any ideas?
KyleA, it's probably downloading the GBA code or going real slow because of the DSP LLE emulation.

Maybe try using a TCP/IP monitor to check the traffic being sent. If Dolphin is sending a whole bunch of 0xFF bytes, that means the connection is being reset and is not a good sign. This probably means that the timing does not suit your PC.
I'll chime in with the masses here. Even running VBA over the network yielded the same results: trying to get the emulator to do anything other than transfer the program using the BIOS screen causes it to lock up. (VBA locks up, not Dolphin.)

For the record, I was only able to get it to do the BIOS transfer after first enabling the Joybus while the BIOS was loaded, and then choosing "Enable game link" from the Options->Link menu. This (expectedly) caused VBA to slow down considerably, but successfully show up in the Chao Transporter (Dolphin) and allow me to Copy the Chao Minigame to it. Once in this minigame, or while trying to connect using Sonic Advance 1 or 2, VBA locks up completely and must be killed.

Windows 7 is able to restore functionality sometimes when killing it, I imagine it does this by terminating the network code that VBA is trying to run. Doing this, I was able to get the program received from the BIOS to actually run, but of course could not transfer the data back as it would lock up again. I haven't tried it with any other games because I do not actually own any other games to try it with.

I'm running this on Windows 7, 64bit. I wasn't aware that networking would present a major issue, but could there be a problem with 64bit compatibiliy. I'm currently compiling Dolphin in 32bit mode to see if that solves it, and I'll also try networking VBA from a VirtualBox'd 32bit WinXP to see if it helps, then post results back here.

EDIT: No beans using 32bit Dolphin. I noticed that in both versions, if I enter the Chao Garden on the GBA, and *then* enable the Joybus, the GBA game shows up in Dolphin, but VBA still slows down to a grind, and apparantly because of the speed difference, Dolphin can never actually read the data or initiate the transfer, it just sees that there's a GBA in the slot. Better than the lockup though, which was apparantly because I had Enable Game Link selected-- you *don't* want or need that setting.
What we need, right now, is for shuffle2 or godisgovernment to post a Youtube video tutorial for getting 4-player GBA support.
Screenshots and settings optimization mean nothing when we're just doing a helluva lot of guesswork.

Consider all of us new to emulation.
I'm using Windows 7 32-bit, and I've not got a successful connection yet, and I've tried everything.
15mins pass an d nintendo logo aint pop up as yet 0_0
either dat or im doing someting wrong....
Games Tested
Rayman 3 Holum Havoc: Keep connecting and downloading
Animal Crossing: You can cross the the GBA island but can't save it when u wanna turn back also u can't transfer the nes games
Sonic Adventure DX -Director's Cut-: Choa garden random crashes can't transfer

More soon!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27