Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GBA <-> GCN Connection Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
When I attempt to link there is data at 0x02000000 but it still doesn't link.

RAM while attempting to link.
[Image: linking.png]

RAM while not attempting to link.
[Image: nolinking.png]
kazo, since you have random-ish data appear, it looks like the link is working. You'll just have to wait a bit longer because it is slow. It should work after a while with a flashing Nintendo logo in the vba-m window. If it does not, let us know what is the game you are trying.

Also, it'd be more helpful to us if you tick the 8-bit radio button before taking the screenshot. The first 8 digits should be something like "2E0000EA" and in the bottom right hand corner is the GAME ID of the GBA game that you are running.

This is all pretty new code and it is pretty slow right now. It can only get faster from here Smile
(02-25-2010, 12:26 PM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]kazo, since you have random-ish data appear, it looks like the link is working. You'll just have to wait a bit longer because it is slow. It should work after a while with a flashing Nintendo logo in the vba-m window. If it does not, let us know what is the game you are trying.

Also, it'd be more helpful to us if you tick the 8-bit radio button before taking the screenshot. The first 8 digits should be something like "2E0000EA" and in the bottom right hand corner is the GAME ID of the GBA game that you are running.

This is all pretty new code and it is pretty slow right now. It can only get faster from here Smile
EA00002E is 2E 00 00 EA in 8-bit mode, so that would make the bottom corner of GXXE to EXXG

Also, It is Pokemon Emerald to Pokemon XD, It is either not connecting correctly, or XD is timing out the connection before it can be completed.

*EDIT* I just made a video showing what is going on, I noticed in the reply that the XD logo flashed on VBA-M after the connection was closed. Will post link here as soon as it uploads.

*EDIT2* This is what happens, also 2:36 XD logo flashes on VBA-M. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGJr_DVeWs0
(02-24-2010, 02:10 AM)shuffle2 Wrote: [ -> ]Note that if your game requires a gamepak be inserted and then connected, you need to add the BIOS path to VBA-M (Emulator>Bios Files...), load the gamepak, and hold Select+Start while the BIOS is loading. This will cause the BIOS to wait for connections and not boot the game.

(02-25-2010, 02:20 PM)Kazo Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-25-2010, 12:26 PM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]kazo, since you have random-ish data appear, it looks like the link is working. You'll just have to wait a bit longer because it is slow. It should work after a while with a flashing Nintendo logo in the vba-m window. If it does not, let us know what is the game you are trying.

EA00002E is 2E 00 00 EA in 8-bit mode, so that would make the bottom corner of GXXE to EXXG

Also, It is Pokemon Emerald to Pokemon XD, It is either not connecting correctly, or XD is timing out the connection before it can be completed.

*EDIT* I just made a video showing what is going on, I noticed in the reply that the XD logo flashed on VBA-M after the connection was closed. Will post link here as soon as it uploads.

*EDIT2* This is what happens, also 2:36 XD logo flashes on VBA-M. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGJr_DVeWs0
Odd thing...

I was trying to connect POKeMON Box, to use it's storage and extra special POKeMON...
And the Gamecube didn't acknowledge the GBA even existed, no change to 'Awaiting connection...', no data in the WRAM buffer...
It DOES acknowledge it with DSP-HLE or DSP-LLE if the game loads, but not in the 'waiting for connection' mode of the GBA.
(02-25-2010, 05:26 PM)shuffle2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-24-2010, 02:10 AM)shuffle2 Wrote: [ -> ]Note that if your game requires a gamepak be inserted and then connected, you need to add the BIOS path to VBA-M (Emulator>Bios Files...), load the gamepak, and hold Select+Start while the BIOS is loading. This will cause the BIOS to wait for connections and not boot the game.

Not sure if you know or not, but the Pokemon games connect after the game boots, not while on GBA logo screen, if you saw the video, you will noticed that the GBA game waits on the first screen while the connection process is happening. That is when all the random data appears in RAM. I was trying it the other way before and nothing happened either, not even the random data appealing in RAM, that only comes after the game boots.

Also, can you give me your setup for Colosseum with DSP-LLE?
(02-26-2010, 12:53 AM)Kazo Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-25-2010, 05:26 PM)shuffle2 Wrote: [ -> ]

Not sure if you know or not, but the Pokemon games connect after the game boots, not while on GBA logo screen, if you saw the video, you will noticed that the GBA game waits on the first screen while the connection process is happening. That is when all the random data appears in RAM. I was trying it the other way before and nothing happened either, not even the random data appealing in RAM, that only comes after the game boots.

Also, can you give me your setup for Colosseum with DSP-LLE?

I've checked the net, for real GBAs with real Gamecubes or Wiis, and that is the real world behavior.
POKeMON synchronizes with the POKeMON game's bootstrap, not the GBA's.
I can get to the game menu on Pokemon Sapphire on the VBA, but on Pokemon Box in Dolphin, it just keeps saying "Confirming connection..."
If POKeMON Sapphire boots up normally, it's 'forgot' to send the intercept code.

If you notice, in the video, the copyright is up for a couple of minutes, when it normally goes off in a few seconds.
This is mostly out of curiosity. I'm noticing that it's the act of linking that seems to be slowing VBA waaay down. Do you suppose that has anything to do with the generic slowness of the network architecture underneath, which is designed for data packets and not byte-for-byte syncronization? Would it be much faster if VBA itself were linked to Dolphin directly so that it did not have to pass data through the network? That might allow the virtual hardware in the GBA to literally achieve a higher "ping" time on transfers, with the added bonus of allowing Dolphin and VBA to remain properly synced according to real hardware timings. But the codebase for VBA is bound to be quite intense-- migrating it to plugin form would be incredibly difficult.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27