Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [GC] Tales of Symphonia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
it works really great except for the butchered music which killed my nerves enough to give up after 5 minutes ^^

Doom

I'm having issues with the game freezing...

After any battle outside of Iselia, the game will lock up and go to 0 fps after the post-game stat screen. It'll nearly complete the "fade to black" part, and then just stop.

If I just avoid everything and go to the Martel Tower, the game freezes after "?????" (Can't remember his name lol, haven't played in 3-4 years) says 1 line.

I've changed my settings a ton of times as well as copied other people's settings, so I doubt it's those. Is this a known issue with some bad rips of the game? there are some visual and text bugs in the game, but I figured that was just part of the iso/rom territory (I'm new to GC roms).

And just for the record, my specs are;

Quad core q6600
3GB ram
Vista 32bit
ATI Radeon 2400 PRO

And I'm using an Xbox360 controller, if that's somehow a known issue.

EDIT;

Okay, so I DL'd an older version (5136) and didn't come across the freezing issue. I swapped out the controller plug in for the new version, because my sticks weren't working. Now i come across the same freezing bugs. I removed the controller plug in and still get them however....

EDIT 2;

Okay, I found the issue. i was using the Emulator's save states to save my game. If you do that, the game will go into the freeze/crash mode as soon as you get into a skit/scene or finish a battle. I started using the actual in-game save options and haven't run into the problem.
(09-02-2010, 08:42 AM)Doom Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT 2;

Okay, I found the issue. i was using the Emulator's save states to save my game. If you do that, the game will go into the freeze/crash mode as soon as you get into a skit/scene or finish a battle. I started using the actual in-game save options and haven't run into the problem.

That should have been standard procedure for any emulator to avoid unexpected error.
(09-02-2010, 01:27 PM)naoan Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2010, 08:42 AM)Doom Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT 2;

That should have been standard procedure for any emulator to avoid unexpected error.

Also playing the game currently, and that bug can be 'corrected' by bringing up the menu before using the savestates (there still *will* be some corruptions- a good sign is the music stopping- but it will be much more stable).

This can work during fights too, and it's quite useful when you don't have access to a savepoint.
I don't mean that using save state disapproved upon but in general you always want to have save point beside save state and, if you can and should, always use in-game feature to load a game.
(09-04-2010, 02:11 AM)naoan Wrote: [ -> ]I don't mean that using save state disapproved upon but in general you always want to have save point beside save state and, if you can and should, always use in-game feature to load a game.

Of course, i was just quoting both responses in order to clarify that it was *possible* to use sacestate as a help in the game- though you *always* shoud also have real saves.

Rahmiel

Okay okay people I've played this game the whole way through, played around with the settings a bit. I was actually able to get a 137 FPS throughout the game with the DX11 plugin, though the artifacts caused by it are annoying. 80 FPS works very well for this game if you wanna speed things up a bit.

Okay so anyways, this game is nearly flawless, I see too many people whining about the background music being glitchy, first off it was pretty much like that on the console, secondly you can turn off the BGM in game and the rest of the sounds are flawless. The only real issues in this game are the disk change ( which works on Dolphin 2.0 but not the newer versions, as for the FPS I was getting I was using r6163 ). Also the occasional crashes when you do stupid things like save and then walk out of a room before the emulator finishes saving. Save states are useless here, they cause too many problems and when you need them the most you can't bring up the menu to keep from glitching. All in all, if you're gonna play a game like this, play it the way it was meant to be played and you shouldn't have any issues. Use 2.0 for the disk change and thats the only glitch you'll run into ( other then the artifacts caused by the DX11 plugin which are easily ignored ).

P.S. Don't forget there is an AR cheat that lets you save anywhere, use it when you enter a new map and its not much different then save states except -gasp- no glitches.
(09-04-2010, 10:14 AM)Rahmiel Wrote: [ -> ]Okay so anyways, this game is nearly flawless, I see too many people whining about the background music being glitchy, first off it was pretty much like that on the console

No it's not, it's pretty noticeable if you listen closely or using headphone.

Rahmiel

-Sigh- and I say again you can turn the background music off in game and it poses no issues. If you're looking for music buy a radio, if you want to play a good game get over the music or turn it off. Simple as that.

Update on the Save Anywhere cheat, I found one glitch if you use that cheat on Disk 2 when you are at Collete's home, when you reload the save file you are stuck in her dining room table ( That was funny ). Anyways I beat the game, and am currently on my second play using a few bonuses from the Grade shop. This time around I'm gonna run more of the side quests and see if I can find any good ( err bad ) glitches that can take from the whole of the game.

Is 40 hours in 4 days too much time to be spending on one game?
I'm just stating the fact that the music IS bad (which you claim is not) and not the same as the real one.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, for me music is part of the game, I rather not play it in dolphin if it's not enjoyable, I could care less if you want to play the game mute. Simple as that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32