Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [PATCH] UDPWii: Use iPhone as WiiMote [NEW: Nunchuck and IR support]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
OK... Sorry for the long delay... I had some trouble with a fried motherboard (guess everything I touch breaks)... Anyway... Here's a updated version of iController... I make a DEB and post it to cydia as soon as someone confirms that it works...

EDIT: Can someone make some icons for me, please? Big Grin
icons (which one (still didnt use it yet)) or controller buttons ?

actually while i was lookin at the buttons and the way they are i got some more ideas for your project....

- people love skins, try make the layout skinable - maybe game specific layouts ( mario kart )

- lets maybe try to relocate the buttons for propper usage, like i said i didnt try it yet but the buttons seems like all over the place, dont know how well u can play with this layout..

- the IR support pad is nice, but maybe u can make it a "analog stick" too

- include classic controller support & classic controller layout for wiimote
[Image: classiccontroller-comparison.jpg]
(07-15-2010, 04:06 AM)lesch Wrote: [ -> ]icons (which one (still didnt use it yet)) or controller buttons ?

well... I need icons for the tab bar items... They are 30x30 (or 40x40...not sure... 30x30 works fine right now) for normal iPhone and 60x60 (double the size) for iPhone 4. It must be a png with alpha channel... In fact the only thing that matters is the alpha channel witch is rendered in shades of blue by Apple's frameworks.

Here is a example:
[attachment=3836]

It is rendered like this:
[attachment=3837]

I need 4 icons for the 4 tabs: Wiimote, IR Pointer, Wiimote + Nunchuk, Only Nunchuk.
EDIT: 5 icons, forgot the settings one

But a new application icon would be nice, too... 512x512 for iTunes, 57x57 for normal iPhone and 114x114 for iPhone 4
(07-15-2010, 04:06 AM)lesch Wrote: [ -> ]icons (which one (still didnt use it yet)) or controller buttons ?

actually while i was lookin at the buttons and the way they are i got some more ideas for your project....

- people love skins, try make the layout skinable - maybe game specific layouts ( mario kart )

- lets maybe try to relocate the buttons for propper usage, like i said i didnt try it yet but the buttons seems like all over the place, dont know how well u can play with this layout..

- the IR support pad is nice, but maybe u can make it a "analog stick" too

- include classic controller support & classic controller layout for wiimote
[Image: classiccontroller-comparison.jpg]

The main problem on the iPhone is screen space... The current Nunchuk + WiiMote tab seems preety good to me right now. I tried adapting it for the best experience in SMG. I must lose the shake button, as it doesn't have any function in the new plugin.
The skins wouldn't be that hard at all to implement, just a different nib for each skin, but I'm very lousy at Photoshop. The nice thing about this would be that you can relocate the buttons for each skin/layout.
The IR pad can be configured to work almost like a analog stick (Touch mode). When you lift the finger from it the cursor disappears and when you hold it on the pad the cursor's position is ,in fact, your finger's position relative to the pad's edges.
And about classic support... I was already planning to do that... Big Grin

Layout and skin ideas are welcomed Big Grin As I said, I can't do graphics in Photoshop... You can take a look on the images in the .app for an example (change the .ipa's extension to .zip then unzip it)
Here is a .deb file for use with Cydia... please test it and tell me it's working before I submit it to one of the official repos... Check in Cydia after installing if the Name, Description, etc are correct...
had to hack my ipod cuz i lost my root pw Oo
well, did install the deb (thanks for that)

it went to /private/var/stash/Applications.29NybD/iController.app

were the other apps are located too, it also shows up in cydia after installadtion
had to reboot to make the icon show up
now good lookin, ill try it out...

hey back with some more suggestions Smile
but first off... great work dude, but u do know that already Wink

dolphin really is next gen wonder emulator... 3d wii modus, iphone controlls and what else im just not thinking of right now, heck i wish it could order me pizza and coke xD

actually did you know that you can control the iphone with a wiimote... vice versa?! ^^

well... back to your handy application...
glad that analog stick is already included
but only in "wiimote+nunchuk"
and are you left handed? ... i am used to control the movement (analog) with my left hand. in this layout its right.. and yeah, like i guessed the whole thing needs a rework in layout.. its kinda uncomfortable.. where "wiimote+nunchuk" works best for the moment, only needs to be mirror´d

also sort the config.. like use advanced tabs...
does disabling any of the data give advancement?!
put them under "advanced"... or call it "extensions"
rename (simplfy) some of them, like "connect nunchuk"
also i think depening on the layout used it should automaticly enable or disable the need funktion.

like:
wiimote:
YES button data
YES acceleration data
YES IR data (include IR Stick with new layout)
No Nunchuk Data

wiimote+IR: which is not needed if u include the analog in the 1st wiimote, inside settings u can choose IR Pad or IR Stick

wiimote+nunchuck:
YES button data
YES acceleration data
YES Nunchuk Data

like i said if there is no advantage like speedboost if u disable one data which might not need in game you can have it autoset, keep the option to disable it, but put it down in config under advanced config, in normal config it should just be called " connect nunchuk "

so i guess if i disable "send nunchuk data" then nunchuk will be disabled and game wont recodnize the nunchuk connected. because i had it enabled, tested nsmb and the only working layout was wiimote+nunchuck
only wiimote couldnt make it sideways, up was right and right was down, no matter if i had set in dolphin or just used it sideway, it was upwards, well like i said i guess because of nunchuk Wink

also it did NOT want to send data when try to connect as wiimote 2 ,
need to use wiimote 1

i would love to see a "connected" light, like let the home button glow different color. also a "wifi connected" indicator

the small "i" button is VERY small

really keep up the great work, i can see this go big, later you do bluetooth support and sell it in appstore as wiimote, oh wait, this is no wiimote emulator for iphone is it? like with bluetooth you can use it on your real wii, nah guess not yet.... its more like dolphin knows how to handle the data received by iphone wiimote application, the wii will most likely not...

ok ill get back at cha maybe with some layout designs
(07-16-2010, 07:05 AM)lesch Wrote: [ -> ]had to hack my ipod cuz i lost my root pw Oo
well, did install the deb (thanks for that)

it went to /private/var/stash/Applications.29NybD/iController.app

were the other apps are located too, it also shows up in cydia after installadtion
had to reboot to make the icon show up
now good lookin, ill try it out...

hey back with some more suggestions Smile
but first off... great work dude, but u do know that already Wink

dolphin really is next gen wonder emulator... 3d wii modus, iphone controlls and what else im just not thinking of right now, heck i wish it could order me pizza and coke xD

actually did you know that you can control the iphone with a wiimote... vice versa?! ^^

well... back to your handy application...
glad that analog stick is already included
but only in "wiimote+nunchuk"
and are you left handed? ... i am used to control the movement (analog) with my left hand. in this layout its right.. and yeah, like i guessed the whole thing needs a rework in layout.. its kinda uncomfortable.. where "wiimote+nunchuk" works best for the moment, only needs to be mirror´d

also sort the config.. like use advanced tabs...
does disabling any of the data give advancement?!
put them under "advanced"... or call it "extensions"
rename (simplfy) some of them, like "connect nunchuk"
also i think depening on the layout used it should automaticly enable or disable the need funktion.

like:
wiimote:
YES button data
YES acceleration data
No Nunchuk Data

wiimote+IR: which is not needed if u include the analog in the 1st wiimote, inside settings u can choose IR Pad or IR Stick

wiimote+nunchuck:
YES button data
YES acceleration data
YES Nunchuk Data

like i said if there is no advantage like speedboost if u disable one data which might not need in game you can have it autoset, keep the option to disable it, but put it down in config under advanced config, in normal config it should just be called " connect nunchuk "

so i guess if i disable "send nunchuk data" then nunchuk will be disabled and game wont recodnize the nunchuk connected. because i had it enabled, tested nsmb and the only working layout was wiimote+nunchuck
only wiimote couldnt make it sideways, up was right and right was down, no matter if i had set in dolphin or just used it sideway, it was upwards, well like i said i guess because of nunchuk Wink

also it did NOT want to send data when try to connect as wiimote 2 ,
need to use wiimote 1

i would love to see a "connected" light, like let the home button glow different color. also a "wifi connected" indicator

the small "i" button is VERY small

really keep up the great work, i can see this go big, later you do bluetooth support and sell it in appstore as wiimote, oh wait, this is no wiimote emulator for iphone is it? like with bluetooth you can use it on your real wii, nah guess not yet.... its more like dolphin knows how to handle the data received by iphone wiimote application, the wii will most likely not...

ok ill get back at cha maybe with some layout designs

Here are some good news: The package was accepted to Cydia.
Anyway... The send /buttons/IR/nunchuck/etc stuff IS enabled/disabled depending on the layout.
If you want to use it as the second wiimote check the ports... By default the port for the second wiimote is 4433 and you have to change it in the device's settings.
I am planning to implement automatic discovery (not through bonjour as it would need it to be installed alongside dolphin) so you don't need to enter IP's and ports. It will be something like: A list on the front page:
- wiimote 1 on FOO-PC
- wiimote 2 on FOO-PC
- wiimote 1 on BAR-PC

About layouts...
I need something like a management system for layouts and skins
Each layout can have a number of skins...
And you can select witch layouts fit in the tab bar... (maby a nice drag and drop interface if I get angry Big Grin )

The "connected" light would make no sense, as nothing is connected to nothing. UDP is connectionless. There is no way to make sure the packets arrived in good shape except for the server echoing back (witch might break it's lightweightness)

And about bluetooth.
First. I know nothing about bluetooth.
Second. Apple's SDK uses a proprietary protocol for bluetooth. They sell a special chip to accessory makers. Maby it could be done using btstack... That way maby you can even fool a real wii... But it's very hard to do and probably would change the entire architecture of my app EDIT:and also it would not fit into the appstore category... Probably another app... But that would be overkill, anyway...

And about posting to AppStore.
First. It costs 100$
Second. I have only one call to a private API. removing it would mean not changing from portrait to landscape automatically (no actual device rotation needed) when changing between layouts. So... The app is almost completely appstore-acceptable right now... But knowing Apple, they'll sure find a stupid reason to reject it...

EDIT: New Super Mario Bros. I thought It doesn't need a nunchuck... Disabling send nunchuk in settings doesn't disconnect the nunchuk, it only stops working... If you want to disconnect it you disconnect it from the wiimote plugin config window like usual...
It should work with the first layout.... just holding the iPhone sideways... It works in Mario Kart Wii

JayC

Now I know that my Iphone can be used in a WiiMote. This is a great idea that you shared. I'm still new for my Iphone and seeing more features of it.
New version! 3.1
This version has automatic discovery!
The emulator, while the plugin config window is open or the game is running will appear on the settings page. Just tap on it to fill the ip and the port automatically.

EDIT: 4.0 Will have skins Wink

420smoke

I'm a noob i got the app on my phone and what not but i don't get how to make it work someone should make a vid on how to do this or rewrite the set up not saying you did a bad job man this shits cool Tongue but for a person like me just doesn't get it... thanks again for your work can't wait to hear from ya...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23