Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop/Desktop Conversation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
NV ill catch you within the month when my True Elite Alienware m17x R4 arrives with an i7 3720qm (aftermarket Oem i7 3920xm will be added eventually), with the Revolutionary, Unprecedented, Unparalleled, Mobile King 7970m (153.6 GB/s Memory Bandwidth) . It is nearly a full fledged 7870 and can easily be overclocked to surpass it, and as such it leaves mediocre high tier desktop Gpu's like the 560ti and 570 behind in the stone age, and at significantly less power consumption. Crossfire 7970m is purported to topple even the Gtx 680 (660ti wanna be) and 7970.. Icing on the cake is that the 7970m is incredibly cheap, for my particular Gaming Laptop of choice its only a $200 upgrade as seen here http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/c...re-m17x-r4 .

It seems now that not only mobile Cpu's are in the same league (or better i.e The Untouchable 3920xm) than desktop Cpu's, but True Elite Mobile Gpu's as well can compete with over-hyped desktop Gpu's. It wont be long now before even the most obstinate and foolhardy Desktop Deluded Elitists will be forced to reassess their misguided and ignorant beliefs regarding their supposed supremacy to Gaming Laptops. I'll make sure to participate in the benchmarks and make a stand for the honor and viability of top tier Gaming Laptops, and will bury those archaic monstrosities like like the 460, 560ti, 570, and even the 580 in their rightful place behind on the list. Until then mayhap as the sensible and intelligent guy that you seem to be you can reconsider your stance and become enlightened to the changes unfolding in computer hardware. For all the desktop fanboys in the emulation scene, you guys can continue living in your fantasy land, and avert your eyes to the winds of change that are coming.

Links to benchmarks and pics of Mobile King 7970m http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienwar...y-yes.html , http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-cl...ns-65.html , most recently benchmarked by Slick The Deliever Of Truth http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienwar...uy-10.html , with 3d Mark Scores and Vantage Scores nearly Rivaling The 580 WITHOUT overclock.. Overclock incoming and should finally lay to rest all the myths and propaganda as the 580 is sent to the land of irrelevance where it was meant to be.
The problem is, with dell (including alienware) hardware you have very little ability to overclock anything. They'll even do their best to avoid you OCing the GPU(s).
Great, another laptop myth being spouted ignorantly, what a shocker. I find it wasteful to try enlightened some1 who thinks laptops need watercooling to blck overclock over 2%, however ill link a couple threads that have tens of thousands of posts filled with overclocks on the m17x, and the m18x, gpu, cpu, ram etc nothing is left untouched without intense world breaking benchmarks. Part 4 of M17x R3 benchmark thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienwar...t-4-a.html , M18x http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienwar...hread.html , m18x unlocked bios with 2920xm/2960xm http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienwar...ssion.html , m17x R2 with unlocked bios http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienwar...-mods.html . There are too many threads with thousands of pages to go through filled with tens of thousands of unique individuals overclocking their Alienwares, without breaching their warranty mind you, so I won't bother even linking. If you care to leave your archaic deluded prejudices behind is up to you.

Of note here is a Video featuring the M18x Watercooled by Asetek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz4a1RukOzA , with an article by tech powerup http://www.techpowerup.com/162715/Asetek...e-PCs.html . This is projected to become available in mass quantities this coming year for numerous Alienware Gaming Laptops, so finally they may be able to Blck overclock a bit .... (won't let your last myth go away that easily). As an aside the m18x can now truly massacre "elite desktops" with the aid of the most expensive and highest clocked 3920xm and its brother the 3960xm, putting to shame wastes of money like sandy bridge extreme chips, and forgot about the low tier 2500k variants and its ilk. Now with the inclusion of 7970m Crossfire blasting away overrated cards like the Gtx 680, and even toppling the 7970, there is no where left for the deniers to propogate, although this forum seems to be a bastion for your ignorant kind. Luckily at least Pcsx2 has largely come to accept the truth, so there is hope yet for the emulation world at large.
I'm not spouting a laptop myth, it was a dell fact. On 85% of the computers they label as overclockable they are referring to Intel turbo boost. You were acting with the cockiness of the 85%, so I didn't bother double checking. You do have an amount of bragging rights, but I still doubt you'll be able to take your chip to 5GHz on air, or at least do terribly well on a performance per pound/dollar/euro scale. I know I could beat it for less money with a desktop, and that's with a British bought computer (bear in mind that they're more expensive over here) with the GBP converted to USD.
Quote:NV ill catch you within the month when my True Elite Alienware m17x R4 arrives with an i7 3720qm (aftermarket Oem i7 3920xm will be added eventually), with the Revolutionary, Unprecedented, Unparalleled, Mobile King 7970m (153.6 GB/s Memory Bandwidth) .

Not for long Tongue. After 5 years I've decided to finally upgrade my desktop this fall to a mid to high end kepler gpu + ivy bridge cpu (and of course overclock it to 4.5GHz+).

Quote:It wont be long now before even the most obstinate and foolhardy Desktop Deluded Elitists will be forced to reassess their misguided and ignorant beliefs regarding their supposed supremacy to Gaming Laptops.

Until they develop magic technology that causes laptop chips to produce the same performance with a fraction of the power consumption and heat top of the line desktops will always have more powerful hardware than top of the line laptops and cost less. This is because the limits on power consumption and heat are much higher in desktops.

Quote:Until then mayhap as the sensible and intelligent guy that you seem to be you can reconsider your stance and become enlightened to the changes unfolding in computer hardware. For all the desktop fanboys in the emulation scene, you guys can continue living in your fantasy land, and avert your eyes to the winds of change that are coming.

These two sentences make you sound like either a fanboy or a troll. Which is a shame because I had previously established a very high opinion of you Sad.

Writing a paragraph basically saying "we're great, you suck, we're the future, you're the past" is not going to win a lot of people over. This is the kind of stuff I expect from a youtube comment, not a post on an emulation forum.

Not to mention I prefer a desk with a large high resolution multimonitor setup. I simply can't get that from any gaming laptop. If you like your gaming laptop that's fine, just stop running around calling desktop users ignorant fools. It does not improve your image.

Quote:Now with the inclusion of 7970m Crossfire blasting away overrated cards like the Gtx 680, and even toppling the 7970, there is no where left for the deniers to propogate, although this forum seems to be a bastion for your ignorant kind.

Yes but:
1. A SLI/crossfire GTX 680 or 7970 setup will beat that
2. Most gamers myself included don't like sli/crossfire due to reliability problems.
3. Please stop calling people ignorant just for using desktops.

While laptops chips can often be overclocked significantly it is generally much harder to overclock laptops due to much more severe space and cooling limitations. Plus you have battery life to consider.

Quote:Luckily at least Pcsx2 has largely come to accept the truth, so there is hope yet for the emulation world at large.

I see. And what is this truth if I may ask? That way we can debate a specific topic instead of just "lol desktops suck laptops are good stop being ignorant".
Desktop:

[Image: 2529302228_d4e2f4b720.jpg]

Laptop:

[Image: iphone_4_repair.jpg]
I finally got SS to troll. My life is now complete.
I wasn't trolling.
Oh, that's strange. I'd decided that you had a mind. I'll have to recalculate that.

Unless of course you were referring to the fact that a payphone costs about 20p, whereas an iPhone costs about £500, but you can move it. Also for the purpose of this I'm going to assume that's an iPhone 4, not a 4s, so it has the antenna problem, so it's fairly useless as a phone.
Quote:I wasn't trolling.

Then assuming you have some actual point to make and aren't just trolling please elaborate on your pictures. Because that looks a lot like a troll post from where I'm standing.
If you feel like starting a new thread, maybe "Desktop VS. Laptop" or something like that, we can talk some more. I think we've crapped up this thread enough already. If not, then no big deal.
This thread was turned into a generic "ask me questions or talk about whatever" thread about 39 pages ago. I do not feel like creating a desktop vs. laptop thread because that would be like creating an nvidia vs. amd thread, which would be stupid.

Current topic history:
Believe it or not I didn't start the current topic. SlickDragon started the subject a few dozen pages ago, we had a healthy debate on the topic. I admired his maturity on the subject and was pleasantly surprised that the topic never escalated. Then out of nowhere after over 20 pages of not posting all of the sudden he brings up the topic again and starts talking about desktop users like we're part of some inferior race or something using terms like "ignorant fools". He didn't elaborate on what exactly was wrong with owning a desktop or why we're ignorant fools so I responded in the most rational way I could think of. It sounded more like a random troll ranting than the SlickDragon I knew from earlier, I wonder what happened to him. And now you have done the exact same thing but with images. From what I'm assuming you seem to be implying that desktops use older inferior technology like payphones? But you know this isn't true, they use the same technologies applied slightly differently and with a different design so you must clearly mean something else. Those images seem to be aimed more at insulting desktop users rather than trying to make a point, kind of like SlickDragons post. Therefore I have to assume you're trolling until you elaborate on that the hell you were trying to say with them.
To me, a desktop PC is the old way of doing things. Technically, a desktop can do pretty much the same thing that a laptop can do, but in the end it's just a hulking pile of crap taking up way too much space in a world where things are made smaller, work better, are more efficient and are able to do the same exact thing in a small package that we used to do in a big package. The world today is about doing things quick, easy and on the go, there is no reason for a person to ever buy a desktop when a laptop can do everything a desktop can do and more and fits in with today's world so much better. It's okay if you want to still have an old desktop at the house, I still have an old Nintendo I like to look at and smile at, but I would never dream of turning it on.

In the end, it's just better technology replacing old (in a sense). A few examples: We used to walk around with gigantic hand-held video tape recorders (hand-held is a bit generous, it was more like two strong hands held them up) that were the size of professional movie studio cameras today (maybe you're too young to remember those monstrosities), they were great at the time, but now we're able to do pretty much the same thing in the palm of our hands, there is no reason to use something the size of guitar to take video footage anymore. Your desktop is also akin to you buying and old 25" tube TV, then buying a VHS recorder, then buying a DVD player, then buying a stereo receiver, cable box and antenna, stacking them all up next to each other and doing the exact same thing I'm doing with my Plasma. You just don't need to do that anymore, things are so much easier now and require so much less space, you don't need to carry around a cell phone the size of an encyclopedia today. Some of these examples will probably go over your head in how they relate to the actual subject, but honestly, until people start going into computer shops and saying "hi, I'm looking for a computer, but it has to be something big and something I can't move", I do not see the desktop making it another ten years.

Furthermore, I think you might have gotten the wrong idea from SlickDragon, while he did need an attitude adjustment (as you do many times) he was just defending his right to use a laptop (just as you are with a desktop) in a world where everyone is telling other people "laptops are no good for gaming" when we all know that with the right one, they are.
In my opinion that isn't well thought out. At least for me, a desktop is a nicer machine to have, and I may even prefer one if it was the expensive solution. The way I do things, the best way to go would be a ridiculously powerful desktop, as I'm at home when I need power, and a tablet with about Sandy i3 @2.5GHz and HD6450 levels of power for when I'm not at home.

At this point I really feel that you've just lost your lead over neobrain in the sensible admin rankings, and I also feel I have to post this again, but in bold: Oh, that's strange. I'd decided that you had a mind. I'll have to recalculate that.
(04-25-2012, 02:55 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]To me, a desktop PC is the old way of doing things. Technically, a desktop can do pretty much the same thing that a laptop can do, but in the end it's just a hulking pile of crap taking up way too much space in a world where things are made smaller, work better, are more efficient and are able to do the same exact thing in a small package that we used to do in a big package. The world today is about doing things quick, easy and on the go, there is no reason for a person to ever buy a desktop when a laptop can do everything a desktop can do and more and fits in with today's world so much better. It's okay if you want to still have an old desktop at the house, I still have an old Nintendo I like to look at and smile at, but I would never dream of turning it on.

In the end, it's just better technology replacing old (in a sense). A few examples: We used to walk around with gigantic hand-held video tape recorders (hand-held is a bit generous, it was more like two strong hands held them up) that were the size of professional movie studio cameras today (maybe you're too young to remember those monstrosities), they were great at the time, but now we're able to do pretty much the same thing in the palm of our hands, there is no reason to use something the size of guitar to take video footage anymore. Your desktop is also akin to you buying and old 25" tube TV, then buying a VHS recorder, then buying a DVD player, then buying a stereo receiver, cable box and antenna, stacking them all up next to each other and doing the exact same thing I'm doing with my Plasma. You just don't need to do that anymore, things are so much easier now and require so much less space, you don't need to carry around a cell phone the size of an encyclopedia today. Some of these examples will probably go over your head in how they relate to the actual subject, but honestly, until people start going into computer shops and saying "hi, I'm looking for a computer, but it has to be something big and something I can't move", I do not see the desktop making it another ten years.

Furthermore, I think you might have gotten the wrong idea from SlickDragon, while he did need an attitude adjustment (as you do many times) he was just defending his right to use a laptop (just as you are with a desktop) in a world where everyone is telling other people "laptops are no good for gaming" when we all know that with the right one, they are.

O? Laptops are good for gaming? That is why almost every gamer complains about their laptop overheating/low battery life/general problems?

Laptops are not made for heavy gaming, I have said this countless times in other forums and they actually listened after like 20 posts. You have made 2k+ posts and still believe laptops are the way to go for gaming. I see you have A laptop yourself, maybe you would feel defeated knowing that A desktop gaming PC destroys A laptop? GL doing eye-finity on A laptop/or 3D vision/or 3d surround. The only reason people think games look good on laptops is because of YOUR SCREENSIZE, DUHHH if I had A 13'' screen I could play any game I wanted on A mediocre card for allot less.
I know I'm new to the forums and I'm not trying to takes sides. I'm putting in my two cents though. Your all right. For right now and maybe for the next 10 years or so desktops will be around. Purely for budget gaming, that's about the only reason. They have lost casuals to lappys and people with cash CAN buy a good lappy that plays any game and have the same longevity as desktop. BUT they cant be upgraded nearly as easily as desktops, nor do they have the flexibility as desktops in this sense.

I honestly think its all going to come down to supply and demand like most things do. The second that laptops start to become more popular in the gaming world and the price starts to drive down to a comparable desktop then desktops will be old news. But until the casuals and the elitist gamers outnumber the majority of gamers and drive that price down (Which will most likely happen sooner than later IMO) then desktops will be around. I payed about $800+250 (New cpu i just got) for my lappy and it will own the majority of desktops and i bought it a year ago. BUT for $1050 i could of built a Desktop that would of lasted for another two years. Pushing all games at 100% until then.

Again.... IMO its all about supply and demand. I remember when this argument was being made about Tube TV vs LCD you could get a Projection TV that was 60" for like 400$ or an LCD that was 42" for $1800... now you can get a 42" LCD on black Friday for like $250.....

Edit: People with high end lappys the one that pay out the ass. Don't play on the small screen.. they play on there Big ass LCD.

And i can play ANY game with no overheating issues on my lappy at MAX settings. Its just about the cost. Nothing more.
BF3 included? You are well below the recommended GPU spec, so won't hit very playable FPS at max quality without a major GPU OC, which will overheat the system.
(04-25-2012, 05:20 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]BF3 included? You are well below the recommended GPU spec, so won't hit very playable FPS at max quality without a major GPU OC, which will overheat the system.

I had no problems with BF3 or Crysis 2. i thought they were shit games but i got them because everyone went on about how amazing they were so i shelled out the cash so i could go online and play, maxed settings and no over heat issues.

Note: GPU is OC'ed
(04-25-2012, 05:01 AM)Dodge112 Wrote: [ -> ]O? Laptops are good for gaming?

Some are, yes.

(04-25-2012, 05:01 AM)Dodge112 Wrote: [ -> ]That is why almost every gamer complains about their laptop overheating/low battery life/general problems?

Are you speaking for every person to ever use a laptop? Your comment is not very specific and I have no way of knowing if the people you're talking about are in-fact "gamers", know what they're doing or which laptop hardware they're using.

(04-25-2012, 05:01 AM)Dodge112 Wrote: [ -> ]Laptops are not made for heavy gaming

Some are.

(04-25-2012, 05:01 AM)Dodge112 Wrote: [ -> ]I have said this countless times in other forums and they actually listened after like 20 posts.

I don't know if that speaks to the kinds of people on the forum you're on or the hardware they're using. How many times you say something doesn't really amount to much on it's own.

(04-25-2012, 05:01 AM)Dodge112 Wrote: [ -> ]You have made 2k+ posts and still believe laptops are the way to go for gaming.

Yes, I have 2k+ posts, and yes, some laptops are good for gaming.

(04-25-2012, 05:01 AM)Dodge112 Wrote: [ -> ]I see you have A laptop yourself, maybe you would feel defeated knowing that A desktop gaming PC destroys A laptop?

Not at all, there are good desktops and laptops for gaming.

I'm going to accept gaming laptops have a place (whether it's at the bottom of a canal or not I won't specify), but they aren't for normal people, and won't be for years until we can make cool, small, low power hardware cheaply enough for the same chips and boards to go in a laptop and desktop and get the same OC and temperature results.
Hmm, there was an error in the merge, now the conversation is in one post. I'll see what can be done to fix this, otherwise anyone interested will have to figure out what was said by whom. :/
He actually made this thread? If this is now common reading I'll point out that the canal comment was meant to be humorous, not laptop dampening (although the water may help take the heat out, as well as short out the battery).
desktop
Thank-you.
The longest post I've ever seen on this forum Big Grin
For the topic : Desktop of course but I travel a lot for my job and in this case laptop + emulators are the good deal for me
(04-25-2012, 06:29 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]desktop

Since you didn't bother to take the time to post a proper response, I can only come to the conclusion that you'd rather have a P4 desktop over an i7 laptop. Smile

For the record, it's not a "choose a laptop or desktop" thread. It's a "gaming laptops can perform well with games just as desktops can" and "laptops are the future". For a better idea, you can read my long response.
I can't believe this can of worms was actually opened. This'll be interesting to watch.

I'm not into PC gaming, so gaming to me would be OSS games, Indie projects, and emulation. Until I got my current desktop, I used my laptop for all of these gaming needs. It was a blast being able to take all of my emulators with me to college. Granted, Dolphin and PCSX2 were out of the question, but everything less than that was great. I loved being able to take my laptop around and still know it was good for some gaming when I was away from home. But like I said, I'm not a PC gamer.

I don't exactly see laptops as having better tech, SS. You posted some good examples of how technology evolves certain products. I agree that everything is moving towards being smaller, faster, and easy to use. Case in point, I'm typing this on my iPod, as it's much more convenient than running off to boot up a full-blown desktop.

I see several technologies going through changes lately. For one, there's the birth of the smartphone/tablet. Laptops may well change with Intel's ultrabooks. I have a feeling that laptops are going to, at the least, get slimmer, boot faster, get more powerful, and have longer battery lives. Some might have considered netbooks to have been the next evolution in laptops, but things look like they're taking a different direction.

Desktops too could evolve. Whose to say that "hulking" machine won't be the size of a 3 inch cube some time in the future? Computers used to take up entire gymnasiums; telling people in the 60s that you'd have a box many magnitudes smaller in 50 years, you might have gotten some strange looks. I'm just keeping an open mind here; I'm sure we haven't seen the limits of our own innovation.

In the end though, I'm a gamer, so I use whatever I can to game. If the future is desktop, laptops, tablets, consoles, or web browsers, I'm there. I'll wait until they stop selling any hardware/software, though, before I declare any of them obsolete.
(04-25-2012, 07:34 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]I can't believe this can of worms was actually opened.

Yeah, it's exactly that, a can of worms. Smile People are never going to agree or see all the valid points of either side, but it's fun to talk about it anyway.

(04-25-2012, 07:34 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Whose to say that "hulking" machine won't be the size of a 3 inch cube some time in the future?

Could be, but you'd still need a screen, keyboard, and a place to plug in for power. If it already had all those things included, it certainly wouldn't be consider a "desktop". Smile

(04-25-2012, 07:34 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]You posted some good examples of how technology evolves certain products. I agree that everything is moving towards being smaller, faster, and easy to use.

Yeah, that was basically my point, that and the misconception that laptops are not capable of playing games. There were other things from you that could have been quoted, but it seemed like you generally got my meaning. At least someone did.

(04-25-2012, 07:43 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, it's exactly that, a can of worms. Smile People are never going to agree or see all the valid points of either side, but it's fun to talk about it anyway.

You know what your doing, so yeah, looking forward to some nice discussions. Wink

(04-25-2012, 07:43 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Could be, but you'd still need a screen, keyboard, and a place to plug in for power. If it already had all those things included, it certainly wouldn't be consider a "desktop". Smile

In imagining my "future cube", I think to be a desktop, you'd still need the external peripherals, like you said. Ideally, since this is the future, they'd all be wireless, so swapping them wouldn't be as much of a pain as it is now, what with the jungle of cables that sits behind my desk. Maybe they could use super-batteries, or inductive charging? If desktops ever get that small (3 squared inches), upgrading components might be as easy as it is today when you swap out SD cards. I'm just dreaming now though. Big Grin

I don't think people will want them to be any more portable today than they already are. Desktops of the future will just need to be smaller, leaner, out of the way, without sacrificing on power. I still think they'll be largely stationary, e.g. like my 6th gen consoles (they never leave the loft).

I know my ideas are pretty big, but you could get something close with the Raspberry Pi. It's pretty slim if you decided to make a case for it, and it's relatively powerful. Man, when I get one, I'm gonna turn it into an emulation machine.

(04-25-2012, 07:43 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, that was basically my point, that and the misconception that laptops are not capable of playing games. There were other things from you that could have been quoted, but it seemed like you generally got my meaning. At least someone did.

For most of my computer gaming, I've always had a hand-me-down desktop, but I'd then get a laptop which would always blow it away (for emulation anyway) so I know how capable laptops are on that subject, at least. I have many good memories of running Advance Wars on a 600MHz Pentium III whereas my desktop (200MHz Pentium XD), couldn't even play NES games with sound. My first laptop actually allowed me to play Counter-Strike with me friends. Plus, my best friend's sister's boyfriend had a gaming laptop that was awesome at the time, enough to play BF:Vietnam, and I was impressed back then.

So yeah, I get what you and SlickDragon are talking about; I'm not trying to take sides here. Gamers game, so that's what I do. Laptops are getting better all the time, and things are looking up with Ivy Bridge. It'll be a nice day when I can just pick up any laptop and run things like Desmume or JPCSP, even with Intel's IGPs.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19